• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the 'Wilhelm scream' of videogames/What is the most common easter egg you've seen across the most games?

kicker

Banned
A short, recognizable piece of sound, text, or any reference that developers of different kinds of games put in as a joke.

Or, put another way, what is the most common easter egg/reference you've noticed in a lot of different games.

Wilhem scream explained for those not familiar:

kicker

Banned
There's a buttload of stock sounds that appear in a ton of games, shows and movies. This is a personal favourite.

The format of 'police scanner chatter' is so common, I never really pay attention to the codes they call out.
I wouldn't be able to pick this one out aand I'm surprised you were able to pick a favourite

kicker

Banned
It's a metaphor for depression
Uh .... you okay, spaceman?
RkCCdbn.png

What sorrow does that smile hide?

Last edited:

poodaddy

I would say the red barrel.
If you put a barrel in game and it is red, it must explodes.
This, I was searching through the thread and could hardly believe it took this long for someone to mention it.

In terms of pure numbers, it's this and I can fully guarantee, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that nothing else comes even remotely close. The explosive red barrel is in hundreds of games that I've personally played, and I'll bet it's in thousands all things said. Only in recent years have we seen the trend dye down a bit, but it was extremely prevalent for like three decades straight.

Drizzlehell

Banned
0451 is probably my favorite, as it tends to be one of the first key codes in many games that feature a key code system, and it's always fun to punch it into a first keypad that I stumble upon in a game without knowing if it's gonna work, and then it works.

Other than that - "kill x amount of rats" as your first quest/objective in an RPG. It used to be a bad cliche but nowadays it feels like it's used more as an inside joke and it's kinda cute. I would have a good laugh if Elder Scrolls 6 would feature something like that as its first enemy or quest.

Also, I just LOVE red exploding barrels. I literally have an OCD where I have to shoot any red explosive object, and it's the best if it's barrel-shaped. I used to piss off my friend with this so much whenever we were playing something together because I would constantly shoot every explosive barrel that came into my sight even if he'd be right next to it and getting caught in an explosion. Not that I did it to grief him or anything, it's just such a compulsion for me that shooting a barrel was more important than not hurting other players.
If after reading this you'd think that Just Cause is one of my favorite series of all time, then you'd be goddamned right.

Kev Kev

Many of the Doom sound effects were from like a common sound library or public domain IIRC, which is why they’re everywhere.
Yeah I was just reading about that. I love when I catch one of these iconic sound effects in a movie, TV show, video game or otherwise. I don't know why but I think it's so cool.

Let's hope you never play one of the Monster Hunter games. Roars galore.
I have and it definitely does lol.

Honestly the only reason I became aware of this being a thing, was because there was one Game Awards show a few years back where they literally had back to back trailers of different games, from RPGs, to a new BR, to Soulslikes, to fantasy 3rd person shooters, where each trailer had that camera-zoom-in-monster-roar moment. You could very lightly hear the audience laugh a little because it happened so much.

CGNoire

The format of 'police scanner chatter' is so common, I never really pay attention to the codes they call out.
I wouldn't be able to pick this one out aand I'm surprised you were able to pick a favourite
Yeah I kept a copy of the police chatter .wav from GTA (1997) for use in any films or videos requiring police chatter.

Top Bottom