• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst 2D Metroid game?

MoonFrog

Never played NES Metroid, but outside that Fusion is the worst Metroid game of the 2D bunch.

1. SM
2. MII
3. ZM
4. Fusion

Fusion is perhaps a better game than ZM, given that zero suit stretch, but it is a worse Metroid.

For comparison, I think the Primes got worse as they went and Prime 3 is close to Fusion 3D but more Metroidlike than Fusion.

So, of the Metroids I've played:

1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Metroid
3. Metroid Prime 2
4. Metroid II
5. Metroid Prime 3
6. Zero Mission
7. Fusion

I have stayed away from Other M although I have some morbid curiosity about it these days. I never broke into NES gaming outside some JRPGs and Mario. Also, I could not stand more than one planet in Hunters.

KingBroly

Banned
I'll say Metroid 2, because it's very cramped and you have no map. The combination of the two makes it extremely easy to get lost and just give up, because you lose your sense of direction and area very fast.

Also, if Other M was 2D, I'd obviously say that, and if it was, no one would ever want a Metroid game again.

The game lays the ground work for future games but definitely has a lot of problems. Take the spiderball. Sounds like a neat powerup but in practise it's incredibly boring to use since the most of the time its just holding a direction while moving along a wall.

Of all the 2D Metroid games, it really has the least to offer. It doesn't have the novelty factor of Metroid I and in fact eschews what made that game great for the half-baked Metroid hunting idea. Although Metroid significantly changed for the future due the developers working around the limitations of the system, the game itself is still ultimately weaker for it. Even arguably the best part of the game, the soundtrack is mangled by the Gameboy's shit sound and speakers.

That said, the spring ball was ahead of its time and oddly ignored for far too long.

I think the Spider Ball is awesome. Slowly climbing up walls to the quiet, dreary and atmospheric music is one of my finest Game Boy memories. And there's not really a ton of climbing you need to do, anyway, but there are neat secrets if you do use it. It made me really sad that it wasn't used in future games, but it would probably break those games anyway.

The best contribution from Metroid II IMO is really the Space Jump, though. Nothing beats using it and the Screw Attack and jumping through the world annihilating everything in your path.

As far as not having a lot to offer, I think that's a good point. There's not a ton of variety in the world.

Hmmmm...lots of people playing/replaying 2D Metroid recently, which I approve of. I'm also replaying through the 2D Metroids. I have to say that while I appreciate what it started and what it was, the original Metroid is the weakest I've played by default simply because it lacks polish and was limited by the hardware it was on. It's still an excellent game, but the other 2D Metroids have surpassed it, IMO.

Note: I've not played Metroid II for the GB. I've heard great things about the fan remake and have been considering playing it.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
It's not as uncommon an opinion as you think. The Bottle Ship really did not lend itself to the same kind of twisted organic art design as previous games. That being said, at least it tried, unlike the holographic nonsense in Other M.
I agree there

Other M was such wasted potential

Astral Dog

im not sure, MII, Metroid I maybe classics but fairly limited. Metroid I being replaced by Zero Mission makes it almost pointless, so it would be that. then Other M wich is just a worse version of Fusion.

I just want to say that Metroid Fusion is an amazing game and one of the best portable games ever made, its not perfect, and fairy linear, but a worthy entry to the Metroid franchise with an interesting new setting, antagonist, weapons, etc.

Menitta

My order of the ones I've played:

1. Prime 1 (probably favorite game of all time)
  2. Fusion
  3. Super
  4. Corruption
  5. Echoes
  6. NES

I can't stand the light and dark ammunition in Echoes. Corruption would be higher, but the voiced dialogue, multiple planets, and lack of multiple beams hold it back. I didn't mind the text sections in Fusion because I could just ignore that. I liked the single planet to explore and no other non-hostile thing, and I could just explore it. The atmosphere of Prime 1 was so fantastic. I could talk about Prime 1 all day.

diaspora

What Fusion did do right is give you the feeling of horror at the prospect of having to fight full-power OP Samus SA-X.

KarmaCow

I think the Spider Ball is awesome. Slowly climbing up walls to the quiet, dreary and atmospheric music is one of my finest Game Boy memories. And there's not really a ton of climbing you need to do, anyway, but there are neat secrets if you do use it. It made me really sad that it wasn't used in future games, but it would probably break those games anyway.

The best contribution from Metroid II IMO is really the Space Jump, though. Nothing beats using it and the Screw Attack and jumping through the world annihilating everything in your path.

As far as not having a lot to offer, I think that's a good point. There's not a ton of variety in the world.

Metroid II was actually my first Metroid game way back when I first got the Gameboy from my aunt alongside Mario Land II. I haven't done a complete playthrough in a while but my most distinct memory of the game is holding up to climb a wall in one of the giant cavernous rooms and it taking forever. I'm not a fan of using it find secret paths either since there's really nothing to figure out using it. It's just holding a direction hoping to pass through the wall. Even randomly shooting at walls to break blocks is more engaging.

About the Space Jump, I forgot that it was in Metroid II first but like the Spiderball I didn't like it in practise. It does basically complete the Screw Attack in a way to make it the end game weapon but as a vertical traversal tool, I just prefer wall jumping. It's not completely mindless but it just doesn't have the same satisfaction and technique that wall jumping provides. Unfortunately it basically makes wall jumping moot for the most part once you get it.

SoulUnison

Banned
Other M is basically a 2D game with a 3D aesthetic, so that.

I feel like this thread was very specifically worded to NOT become a "DAE hate Other M" thread, and OP even glosses over it in the opening so people don't bring it up themselves, but you come in here and try to pivot the whole discussion in record time.

Bravo.

Its Other M.

And then some people don't even finish reading the thread title before posting.

Anyway, my choice is Metroid II if choosing the first for being so darn dated isn't allowed.
It's impressive what they managed to do with the Game Boy hardware, but, at the same time... It's just too ambitious a game for the GB.

It's surprising to see how many people dislike Metroid and The Legend of Zelda because they "archaic" now. I'd like to see a graph of that opinion compared to age. I don't think Zelda requires a map for the overworld, it isn't all that large and each dungeon has a map. At the time I didn't mind that Metroid didn't have a map but was really happy when Super Metroid had one.

Metroid II is the weakest 2D Metroid for me. I just don't like the premise at all.

2 is the only one that I actually disliked. I can handle the lack of a map, it's the tiny visible field of view on-screen that killed the game for me. Absolutely nightmarish.

Metroid Prime 2 is the best in the series. Come on OP.

Metroid 2 is garbage
No YOU c'mon, Prime 2 is the least good 3D Metroid. Other M is just bad so that's another metric entirely.

The worst 2D Metroid is a toss between OG Metroid and Metroid 2. They're borderline unplayable nowadays but I may go with OG if only because of that frustrating decision of making you spawn with only 30 health every time you die and thus making you have to farm.

Edgeward

I never played the original NES game. But Metroid 2 is just bad. The extremely close field of view is annoying. The way it is sectioned off but hunting down Metroids make it annoying too when you just need the last one or two. And it does a poor job telling you what is or could be where the new area opens up. And it had no map function either.

Menitta

Metroid Prime 2 is the best in the series. Come on OP.

Metroid 2 is garbage

Like I said earlier, I couldn't stand the light/dark ammo. Also, the Dark sections didn't make me feel like I was exploring as much as Tallon IV. It was the same area, but instead of not losing your health, you do.

Instro

Metroid 2, it's just bad.. Metroid doesn't hold up that well, but it's more interesting and significant than 2.

trixx

As someone who played through Fusion for the first time last month, I must say that it's a very solid entry in the franchise. It's not as open ended and a lot more straight forward than super metroid and such but it's still extremely enjoyable experience. The bosses were probably the hardest part.

I think Super Metroid tested me more and is overall a better game but Metroid Fusion was more fun, whereas Super was more frustrating. This is after a first playthrough of both.

Playing through prime now(I think I'm approaching the end because I'm collecting the artifacts) and I have nothing to say at the moment. I like it a lot but it's also pretty frustrating.

Menitta

As someone who played through Fusion for the first time last month, I must say that it's a very solid entry in the franchise. It's not as open ended and a lot more straight forward than super metroid and such but it's still extremely enjoyable experience. The bosses were probably the hardest part.

I think Super Metroid tested me more and is overall a better game but Metroid Fusion was more fun, whereas Super was more frustrating. This is after a first playthrough of both.

Playing through prime now(I think I'm approaching the end because I'm collecting the artifacts) and I have nothing to say at the moment. I like it a lot but it's also pretty frustrating.

Are you playing the Trilogy or GC?

trixx

Are you playing the Trilogy or GC?

I'm playing trilogy. I think part of the problem is that I'm trying to rush through the game and it's clear to me that this is the type of game that will probably be worthwhile by taking your time, similar to super metroid.

Menitta

I'm playing trilogy. I think part of the problem is that I'm trying to rush through the game and it's clear to me that this is the type of game that will probably be worthwhile by taking your time, similar to super metroid.

Good. The Wii controls are a massive improvement. On my first run, I just wanted to explore the planet. Seeing the environments was easily the best part of that game. I first played it during a blizzard when I was home from school, and when I got to Phendrana Drifts, it was exactly the same outside as in the game. It was mindblowing.

Super Metroid has the wonkiest movement controls and combat mechanics
Zero Mission has the ugliest graphics

Fusion has worst writing
Metroid II has the least sequence breaking
NES Metroid has the most annoying save system

Overall NES Metroid is my favorite and Super Metroid my least favorite but they are all fantastic

You're living in bizarro world.

Rutger

Banned
I'm playing through all of the Metroid games (some for the first time) and so far, I've enjoyed all of them. I haven't started up Super or Metroid 2 yet. I think it's safe to say that, while great, Metroid Prime 2 is the weakest of the mainline Prime games, and we all know about Other M. So this got me thinking. What's the worst of the 2D games? I'm curious to hear some opinions.

Prime 2 is the best Prime game though.

Anyways, for the 2D games, either 1 or 2. 1 is very clunky and didn't age well, and 2 has this.

The first one because it's obsolete. There's not such a thing as a bad 2d Metroid game yet.

As with movies, there's no such thing as an obsolete video game. Only games made at a different time for a different audience with different tastes, and even now some people rediscover and enjoy them. For a game to be obsolete it would have to be literally unplayable in every sense of the word.

Type40

Other M is as good as Super for you? That can't be right.

I ended up really liking it. Was the perfect mixture of 3D on a 2D plane, even more so than DK Returns. Controls, combat and action were perfect. And it fit's in pretty well story wise with the Metroid Manga.

It's surprising to see how many people dislike Metroid and The Legend of Zelda because they "archaic" now. I'd like to see a graph of that opinion compared to age. I don't think Zelda requires a map for the overworld, it isn't all that large and each dungeon has a map. At the time I didn't mind that Metroid didn't have a map but was really happy when Super Metroid had one.

Metroid II is the weakest 2D Metroid for me. I just don't like the premise at all.

Here are Metroid 1's flaws:

1) floaty jumps
2) knockback from collision
3) ease of getting stuck in lava
4) recycled rooms
5) lack of variety in objectives/items (more than half are missile/energy packs)
6) respawning with only 30 energy units

Metroid may have defined a genre, but man was there room for improvement.

Zee-Row

Banned
Metroid 2 needs a remake really bad. i always heard that Nintendo had planned to make a DX version for game boy color but it never happened.

Davey Cakes

Metroid 2.

It's quite different than the original. More advanced in ways. But being on the Gameboy somehow makes it feel even more dated. A remake on the level of Zero Mission would be stellar.

Top Bottom