• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this Ubisoft garbage on Epic

Actually, I'm PS5/PC combo. What I can't point out the fragmentation that comes with PC gaming that makes life miserable? Here if it makes you feel any better, the FRIENDS/PARTY SYSTEM on PS5 is terrible, I rarely use it anymore but on PS4 I was living in them.

I don't get folks here, you can't criticize legitimate things without being labeled a fanboy, tisk tisk.
Ahh.. Really good valid points you bring up here.... Don't know how anyone would confuse:

You didn't know? This is part of the great pcmasterrace.
With any kind of warring intentions. I can see now that it's well thought out and reasoned "critique".

I apologize.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is basically a policy mess at Ubi's end ending up in kind of a hilarious state. It's basically leftovers from when Ubisoft and EA was extra desperate (being exclusively on their own launchers) to get some bigger pieces of that delicious walled garden launcher cake. For me it's both a minor issue practically and a big issue by principle at the same time.

Last edited:

Zug

This launcher thing is the prime reason I don't buy EA/Ubi/Epic games anymore on PC.
Steam is the only DRM I tolerate(ish) for historical reasons, but when I can I'll always buy on GoG first.
All this software spying on you is installed for the only purpose of launching that other piece of software you bought... It just feels wrong and should be regulated somehow.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Actually, I'm PS5/PC combo. What I can't point out the fragmentation that comes with PC gaming that makes life miserable? Here if it makes you feel any better, the FRIENDS/PARTY SYSTEM on PS5 is terrible, I rarely use it anymore but on PS4 I was living in them.

I don't get folks here, you can't criticize legitimate things without being labeled a fanboy, tisk tisk.
the hot takes do get boring after a while

Sentenza

Or you know steam could just say, fuck your launchers. Its on our platform and that's it. The same way sony and xbox do it.

It has nothing to do with consumers, it has everything to do with steam applying to this bullshit, the same goes for epic.

Personally, when i see a ubisoft game on steam, i will buy it on uplay for the simple fact i don't have to deal with multiple launchers which eat extra performance. its a non issue for me.
Well, when I see an Ubisoft game on Steam chances are I won't buy it at all, but for the rest can't say I disagree.
While I despise consumers for not "choosing with their wallet" here (or at least not choosing properly) I think Steam (and other similar services) should put their foot down about this shit.
"If you want to sell your games on my service remove your shit, because we already have ONE client for everything to offer to our customers".

Sentenza

I remember when there was this little game called Half Life 2 that required a launcher too. People were PISSED back then.
That's a different story, though. And most of the outrage was mostly bullshit anyway.

Novelty of the time aside, now digital stores are a consolidated reality and that's fine. It's normal that if I buy something on Uplay or Origin (which I won't) I'll have to launch the game from there.
It's not normal or acceptable that if I buy from Steam I'll have to launch from Steam AND run the Uplay/Origin client too.

I've never understood the hate for launchers. Seems like the worst case of first world problems imaginable.
These days, it's nothing more than annoyance, and to be honest, it's one that will prevent me from buying certain games on certain storefronts.

But for a good while, the rage I would feel when I'd buy a game on Steam and I couldn't play it because Uplay was down or having its own connectivity issues was palpable.

These days, it's nothing more than annoyance, and to be honest, it's one that will prevent me from buying certain games on certain storefronts.

But for a good while, the rage I would feel when I'd buy a game on Steam and I couldn't play it because Uplay was down or having its own connectivity issues was palpable.
The down issue is a fair point and I'd be cross too at that.

Zeroing

Banned
That’s PC for you! And fingers crossed when the next update from windows doesn’t mess your computer!
It’s so much fun to be a pc gamers right guys?

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Paasei

That is the case for any PC game that you buy on a platform that is not specifically owned by the publisher of said game.

This is why I never buy a game on, let's say, Steam anymore if the publisher has its own platform. It is already annoying enough to be forced to use 1 launcher per game, let alone 2.

Why consumers want this, seeing the popularity of some, is beyond me.

I go GoG if they are availabale on that platform. The only DRM free one, and you don't need to use it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's the way the industry is headed. If we all want a future where we only pay a subscription to access our games, then we need to be okay with always online access, multiple launchers and games being locked to our online accounts.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've never understood the hate for launchers. Seems like the worst case of first world problems imaginable.
Almost any and every opinion you ever have or had on a gaming forum could be classified as "the worst case of first world problems imaginable". It's disrespectful to draw such parallels because this forum is full of people with real life problems discussing video games as their escapism. This argument is pissing me off more and more every time I see it, so yeah unfortunately I'm singling you out this time.

Top Bottom