• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Social What is your earliest gaming memory?

Orta

console wars 2020 - participant
Apr 26, 2018
Bit hazy but it involved Pong, early 80's (I was born in 79).

I remember looking on as my brother and dad played it on the tv. There were two controllers (it wasn't the Atari paddle if I recall correctly) one had a video out and plugged directly into the tv, the second was powered from the first via a connecting cable. I think there was a slider on the first that selected three or four different games and a side button that reset the unit.

I was hugely impressed, in hindsight however what a pile of fucking shit it was! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

First real memory was playing River Raid on a friends Atari 2600 on a 14" black & white tv, again early 80's. I thought it was amazing. Got one for Christmas soon after (£50 it was, with a copy of Centipede) and Santa was kind enough to throw in a second game too, Desert Falcon.

Behold.....

Makes you wonder how I stuck with gaming after being treated to such masterpieces.

lachesis

Jun 17, 2004
Pong was my first experience. I was visiting a friend of mine (rich one) whose father did a lot of deal in U.S. market - I think it's probably 1979, or 1980.
I sucked at it - having seen nothing like it before (as interact anything shown on TV) - but it was a fascinating experience.

My real love for the video games began in 1984, though - I had a chance to borrow Famicom from my neighbor along with few cartridges - Super Mario Bros, Pooyan etc.... although I had played Pitfall on Atari from another neighbor of mine's place - it really didn't captivate me as much as SMB.. just like Pong didn't, or any other games before like Space Invader or Pac-Man. I loved the fact that you could explore and there are so many hidden stuff you could find. (And that.. was by trying to break every single blocks, etc.. as I had no other input other than doing it all myself)

Then in 1986, I had a chance to learn Apple II+ at local computer school - and gamed on it pretty often - but my real first gaming console/pc of my own, was MSX2 in 1987.

SegaManAU

Oct 27, 2011
Australia
I can't remember which one was first but it was either Tetris on the Gameboy or Alex Kidd which was built into my Master System 2.

Moogle11

Feb 7, 2020
Atari 5200 with a Star Trek game, Frogger, Popeye and a few others. Couldn't play most games after a bit as the button on the controller broke. Didn't really get serious into gaming until getting and NES with SMB and Duckhunt when I was in 4th grade.

StylishMGTOW

Jun 9, 2020
I was exposed to good games when I was a kid:

These are the earliest games I remember playing as a child. Playing Super C with my cousin was a memory I'll never forget.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
My dad randomly brought home an NES when i was like 6 and i played a video game for the first time ever. The game was Galaga and i was really bad at it so my older brother would bully me and not share when it was my turn haha.

Any Major Dude

Neo Member
Jan 10, 2021
We had a dos computer in the early 90s, it had commander keen goodbye galaxy... But the earliest game i remember - can someone help me figure it out? - is a pixellated side scroller in which my character, who may be wearing a beanie, or have a big head - walks around a haunted school, or something, killing ghosts by taking photos of them.

Also played Oregon trail on school computers as early as '94.

Can't remember when i first played broken sword, or Carmen sandiego, but they're both real early,too.

Last edited:

pab

Nov 28, 2006
As a Commodore 64/128 kid, it'd have to be:
Code:
LOAD "*",8,1
It's burned into my memory.

reforen

Oct 1, 2018
Plugin in the atari 2600 (I'm not that old, 1985) with my older brother to play some defender

Also the atari tv switch

Fret Runner

Sep 13, 2019
Playing this on a, even back then it was considered old, CRT TV. Thing was like trying to move a boulder.

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
Commodore 64, cassettes, a pen to rewind and playing with a joystick that moves 1 millimeter at the most on each direction.

Alex Anderson

Jun 6, 2004
I was playing Atari 2600 Pac-Man in the living room. The sun went down and to keep from getting scared I just kept playing til someone came in the room and cut a light on or something. I don't remember who saved me.

DinoD

Mar 7, 2020
Nowadays kids are so spoiled when we settled for this graphical marvel back in the day. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Hahah. No. Console games were shit compared to Arcades and home computer games on C64,Speccy, Amstrad etc). It wasn't until Nintendo and Sega entered the ring in mid 80's. Things just got so much better from there on.

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo_Hazem