• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite Mario Kart track in the entire series?

ScOULaris

large.jpg

I searched around and only found one thread from mid-2014 pertaining to this topic, and seeing as how we've seen an additional 16 tracks added to the mix via Mario Kart 8 DLC since then I thought we'd revisit it.

Just to make things harder on you, I'm asking you to narrow your vote down to a single all-time favorite across every game in the series. You can nominate either a traditional racing track or a battle arena, whichever stands out to you as your personal favorite. I realize that this will be tough considering the series' pedigree for featuring memorable levels in abundance, but that just ensures that you'll really have to think before posting.

I'm not going to be tallying votes or anything (I've gotten in trouble in the past for Voting-GAF threads), so this will just be for the sake of discussion.

I'm gonna kick things off with what I'm pretty sure if my overall favorite track from any Mario Kart game:

Mount Wario (Mario Kart 8)

Man, this was really tough to narrow down. I came to this decision for a few reasons. Firstly, I love the unorthodox concept of the level. Nintendo characters racing down a snow-blanketed mountain in one continuous lap with icy turns, pitfalls, big jumps, and branching paths galore. While there are other levels in both MK8 and previous games that offer more visually appealing settings (Water Park, Piranha Plant Slide, Toad Harbor... etc.), Mount Wario edges them all out for me with its showstopper moment: riding sideways along the outside wall of a dam, snaking from boost pad to boost pad as they flow down the side of the giant edifice in rivulets. That is just pure spectacle, and it impresses me every single time I play it. Most importantly, it's one of the only times in this otherwise purely downhill track that the MK8 anti-gravity mechanic comes into play.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Zeroth post nails it

Kinsei

Banned
Cloud Top Cruise

The music, track design, and hazards all come together to make the ultimate Mario Kart track.

SNES Rainbow Road, Mario Kart 8 edition

The one and only.

What I love about it is that it's not an over-embellished track, and though it's unforgiving it's not really particularly difficult to master. It's just pure track, and even considering this they managed to make it a decent spectacle on Wii U. An absolute blast to race on.

Never understood the love for Mount Wario.

blamite

Waluigi Pinball is an all-time classic, but I think I'd probably pick Cloudtop Cruise as my overall favorite?

saBBDPml.jpg

0R6CP1Xl.jpg

Ctrl + F "Mount War..."

Oh, it's already in the OP :)

I have like 3 or 4 "close seconds," though. SNES Rainbow Road (as it appears in MK8); Mute City; the Animal Crossing track (all versions, but most especially the winter one), and Hyrule Circuit.

El Odio

Banned
Mario Kart Wii's version of Rainbow Road. It separated the pros from the rest of the racers online and was my go to track for victory.

Zubz

Banned
So is this about to just turn into a thread about how great Waluigi Pinball is?

Mute City's a close second for me, though.

Super Bell Subway, that music tho.

It's also the only course in MK8 that the Bullet Bill hasn't screwed me over by stopping in a corner, off course, or hazard while playing in 200cc Frantic GAF lobbies.
YET

Edit: Honestly, it could be easier to make a least favorite Mario Kart track thread.

ito007

Double Dash Rainbow Road.

The track really challenges your skills, it's got a fantastic theme, it looks gorgeous, and has some wow moments with its scale and variety of track obstacles. Stellar

Mount Wario is way up there. I think Mario Kart 8's DLC has some of the strongest tracks in the series. Big Blue and the updated Ribbon Road are pretty ideal for me -- simple courses that focus more on interesting turns than moving obstacles.

I really liked that one on n64 where the train crosses the track, but I'd say snes bowser castle 1, excitebike mk8 or mk8 rainbow road snes

Roo

Not sure if I can pick a single track from the entire franchise.
Would be easier to pick one per game lol

MK8-Course-Wii_GrumbleVolcano.jpg

As many of you know, I'm a huge Grumble Volcano fan.
Was a big fan of it in Mario Kart Wii and I'm a sucker for it in 8
I like how dramatic the track itself is. The always changing layout is a big plus as it adds a a new layer of skills every race.

Music is also superb so fuck the haters

Probably Mount Wario, but I also really love DK Mountain and Shy Guy Falls. Shy Guy Falls is entirely because of the shy guys singing as they work, which is just perfect.

Ludist210

Just one...man, that's difficult. I'd probably say...ugh. Recently it's Mount Wario, but Royal Raceway (N64) and Waluigi Pinball (DS) really resonate with me.

Chibot

I can't pick one, so how about a cup?

Ghost Valley 3
Sherbet Land
Grumble Volcano
Royal Raceway
Rainbow Road - SNES version

If I had to choose I'd probably go with SNES RR.

Top Bottom