• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite Mario Kart track in the entire series?

I honestly don't know if it's my favorite (an inquiry requiring more introspection than I'm presently capable of), but I love everything about Ribbon Road.

Roo

I honestly don't know if it's my favorite (an inquiry requiring more introspection than I'm presently capable of), but I love everything about Ribbon Road.

It's a shame they messed up the song/remix from the MK8 version.
It doesn't sound as catchy as the original tune.

In my opinion MK8 has some of the best courses in the series.
Bone-Dry Dunes, Bowser's Castle (dat Bowser statue) and MK8's interpretation of Ribbon Road are probably my favourites.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Hard to narrow it down to just one.

Maple Treeway from MKWii, DK Jungle from MK7, and Bowser's Castle from MK8 all rank near the top for me, though.

Ivan 3414

MK8 holds many of my favorites. The best has got to be

WiiU_MarioKart8_121813_SCRN_07.jpg

Airport levels are always great in video games.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't know if I can choose just one!

I love:
1. Toad's Turnpike (MK64)
2. Rainbow Road (MK64)
3. Wario Stadium (MK64)
4. Mount Wario (MK8)

majik13

I like Mount Wario the most. And pretty much all the track in the Star Cup are the best.

Sunshine Airport
Dolphin Shoals
Electrodome.

I like how I forgot Wario Stadium and Waluigi Pinball shared music. Well, not so much as shared as Wario Stadium totally stole Waluigi Pinball's theme. It meant we got an 8 remix for the song anyway.

Of the last four Mario Karts, 3 of them have had Waluigi Pinball's music. Half of the Smash games have Waluigi Pinball's music.

Waluigi pinball time is all the time.

I think it's pretty clear Nintendo really likes that stage along with Mushroom Gorge, since they seem throw them into random stuff.

I remember nothing of Dry Dry Ruins layout, but it has amazing music. Wii in general had great music.

Frontier Village Wild Woods in Mario Kart 8

This stage is visually breathtaking, but the layout is kind of plain.

But I want them to make a game where we visit this village.

woopWOOP

Royal Raceway. Having that little area to explore in the N64 version adds so much. The MK8 version is really great too. Friendly to lightweights and without the gravitational gimmick. Looks beautiful.

Runner up would be Moonview Highway. Going from a pitch black countryside to a bright, buzzling city at night is such a cool transition.

daripad

Big Blue.
I love F-Zero, and the music is great in MK8. The track itself has certain gimmicks no other tracks have, while being a great homage to F-Zero. The level design is crazy, and it is a single lap course with three segments that get crazier. I absolutely love its beauty too, very sci-fi with nature on the background. Absolutely gorgeous and fun. Makes for crazy races in 200cc.

Ribbon Road MK8 and Wario Colosseum are runner ups. They are a blast too.

Sherbet Land on MK8 is the most beautiful track though. I love Christmas settings, and it does it so well (except for the unnecessary water segments that could have been replaced with caves lit with Christmas lights). Improves on the GC track so much, which at the time thought was generic and uninspired.

entremet

By game:

SMK--Rainbow Road: Great music, nice tight corners and straight aways, fun for power sliding.

MK64--Yoshi Valley: The choose your own adventure aspect of this was really great.

Honorable Mention--Koopa Troopa Beach: Dat shortcut.

Double Dash: Baby Park. Cliched and loved by everyone, but still really good.

DS--Waluigi Pinballl: Tons of variety here.

MK Wii--Maple Freeway: Love the shortcuts and setting here.

MK7--Music Park is a genius track. Love the MK8 version too.

MK8--Rainbow Road: Just a fun track. Good music too.

Classic Rainbow Road is probably still my favorite. It's so good it got retro 3 track selections--Super Circuit, MK7, and MK8.

630x.jpg

EulaCapra

I have too many.

Vanilla Lake, Koopa Beach, Rainbow Road (SNES)
Choco Mountain, Kalimari Desert, Wario Stadium, Toad's Turnpike, Royal Raceway, Banshee Boardwalk (N64)
Cheese Land, Sky Garden, Cheep Cheep Island, Sunset Wilds, Ribbon Road (Super Circuit)
Baby Park, Daisy Cruiser, Waluigi Stadium, DK Mountain, Wario Colosseum (Double Dash)
Cheep Cheep Beach, Delfino Square, Waluigi Pinball, DK Pass, Tick Tock Clock, Airship Fortress, Wario Stadium, Peach Gardens, Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road (DS)
Coconut Mall, DK Summit, Koopa Cape, Maple Treeway, Grumble Volcano (Wii)
Shy Guy Bazaar, Wuhu Loop, Music Park, Piranha Plant Slide, Wario Shipyard, Bowser's Castle, Rainbow Road (MK7)
Mario Kart Stadium, Water Park, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Mario Circuit, Sunshine Airport, Dolphil Shoals, Mount Wario, Cloudtop Cruise, Mute City, Excitebike Arena, Wild Woods, Big Blue (MK8)

DS and MK8 really nailed it. Even more so with MK8 with updated retro courses.

I wish the Mario Kart guys made an RPG or something.

Stuff like Neo Bowser City shouldn't be stuck as a background to Mario Kart. I'd love to explore a dystopia future mega city inhabited by Koopas and other enemies.

They're really good at fleshing out the Mushroom Kingdom with interesting locations are never used anywhere else.

I had no idea people loved Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 7 so much. It's easily one of the worst RRs in my opinion.

It's so hard to choose a favourite track. I'll go with Bowser's Castle 64. I'm a sucker for this theme, and the 64 version stands out big time. The remaster in MK Wii was on point too.

Bowser's-castle-mario-kart-64.jpg

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I really like SNES rainbow road, particularly the MK7 version although the version in 8 is good too. It's not horribly difficult but it still takes time to master and once you do it's really satisfying.

Honestly, I think Mount Wario is kind of overrated. It has great music and a cool setting but as an actual track to race on its pretty average/slightly above average. I also feel like it has a problem where it can be really difficult to catch up if you're behind, even if you get good items. That might just be a problem with all single lap Mario Kart tracks though.
Looking at you RR64

Blues1990

I really love MK8's Mario Kart Stadium. With the way how the track introduces the game's mechanics, it's a great introductory level (and refresher course) for those who are not familiar to the series. The music, like with the rest of MK8's soundtrack, is fantastic.

v-mario-kart-stadium.jpg

For overall track, I'll have to give it to MK8's Electrodome course. Taking place in a giant nightclub that's owned by the Koopalings, it has solid music blasting in the background (performed by DJ Larry) with all sorts of things happening on the sidelines, such as several parts of the track have different electronic instruments that cause a different effect to the course's music, or the crowd of Koopa Troopas & Shy Guys cheering and clapping to the beat of the song... It helps that it's also a fun track to race on, as well.

640px-MK8_WendyRoyLarry.png

Airship Fortress, Mario Kart DS. Amazing, amazing track. I kept hoping it'd make a comeback in Mario Kart 8. :(

Honorable mentions: SNES Rainbow Road, Mount Wario, Koopa Cape, Sky Garden, N64 Rainbow Road, Wild Woods, Big Blue, DS Rainbow Road, N64 Sherbet Land, Daisy Cruiser, GCN Rainbow Road, Animal Crossing, Wario Shipyard.

Cipherr

Mount Wario. It pushed itself ahead of Royal raceway for me. Its pure racing bliss. I love the downhill and one lap design, and Im a sucker for snow levels in general. Fantastic racing stage.

Top Bottom