• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite war movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done watching Apocalypse Now for the first time.... Wow.
War movies are horrible.

Not in a sense that the acting isn't phenomenal or that the movies aren't well made but the fact that WAR IS TERRIBLE.
But before I go into a "war is bad, mmkay" rant, let's hear your choices

PS: Ride of the Valkyries, tho

I think Saving Private Ryan is probably the most significant war movie made in a long time. Possibly my favorite, for introducing a lot of realism into the violent scenes (although it has a somewhat meh plotline).

Mandatory beach scene

(agreed that BoB tops everything, although not a film)

way more

6da9003b743b65fl.jpg

Cold War, so no actual battles. I may view it favorably because it pissed off Iraqi War supporters who were mortified to see American soldiers depicted as anything but boy scouts. There aren't enough army movies where the soldiers are horribly bored all the time.

Wow this trailer sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLDMyyMZIg

Brakke

Banned
I've only seen Full Metal Jacket once and it's one of the movies I think about most often. Really stuck in my craw, phenomenal work.

benjipwns

Banned
The crazy thing about that famous scene is that the drill sergeant's actor improvised it completely. Very impressive.
He wasn't even an actor, he was an adviser who was showing how a drill sergeant would do it and that's how he wound up with the part. And his film career.

Madness

There are so many, I can't pick. I like Patton, Apocalypse Now, The Guns of Navarone, Platoon, We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, Jarhead, Full Metal Jacket, Letters From Iwo Jima, The Dirty Dozen, Flags of Our Fathers, The Longest Day, Black Hawk Down, Windtalkers. I love war films, I'd even consider something like The Patriot a war film, God's and Generals etc.

Saving Private Ryan for showing that the guys who landed on Normandy were just normal men thrown into war (some of them at least). And I completely agree with OP in that war is terrible, but movies like these can absolutely captivate you with it's brutality, visually or mentally.

Jb

Paths of Glory
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Letters from Iwo Jima
Zero Dark Thirty

I've yet to watch any of Band of Brothers/Pacific, but considering the praise it's gotten from seemingly everone who watched them I'm looking forward to it.

Paths of Glory
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Letters from Iwo Jima
Zero Dark Thirty

I've yet to watch any of Band of Brothers/Pacific, but considering the praise it's gotten from seemingly everone who watched them I'm looking forward to it.

Band of Brothers is gonna ruin The Pacific for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom