• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your main gaming setup?

Mister Wolf

20210609-125735.jpg

A 55" 4k hdr Samsung TV (no $ , no OLED, no regrets).

A good sound setup, stereo as it's mainly meant to listen to music.

A PS5 + a gaming PC with a GeForce RTX 2060 (for PC gaming and emulation, I have no room for all these old consoles and arcade machines).

Kuranghi

PC, Switch, PS5 and older consoles connected to a 65" Sony ZD9. Its a VA FALD LCD with 600+ dimming zones, best 4K TV for HDR gaming imo, even with LCD caveats compared to OLED.

Comparison of my TV to a 2017 OLED, not much has changed concerning the areas where the LCD wins over the OLED since then, bit more brightness on 2021 OLEDs, but still nowhere near what you get from the ZD9, its still giving me that amazing HDR experience and wowing me every time I try something new on it.

My advice is to try and buy one of these 2nd hand (I saw one new-in-box on ebay UK this week actually though, which is crazy) for gaming now before they disappear completely because its looking like it won't be surpassed until new technology comes around. Even the 2019 8K replacement, ZG9, isn't as good in a few areas as the ZD9 although its brightness output is insane.

The ZD9 has a very high response time compared to monitors and OLEDs so you'd still want an OLED or monitor if you play certain types of game but tbh I also have an OLED and I forget about that instantly when you see the SDR and HDR images this set produces.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Bedroom setup

Display: Random LG 1080p monitor
$120

wqUROt6.jpg

Console: Xbox Series S
$299

4xvYRqp.jpg

Headphones: Sennheiser HD700
$999
VF8tlST.jpg

Sound quality matters.

Definitely agree on sound being left out too much of the time but that monitor sounds awful mate, I suppose if you aint got room for a TV its the best bet though without paying out for a stupid "HDR ($)1000" monitor with crap edge lighting thats better than what you have now but a far stretch from a FALD LCD VA or OLED TV.

I took this photo last year during E3, not much has changed since then.
lfiadb2qdnc51.jpg

Yes I have way too many controllers LOL. The reason for so many controllers is from flipping yard sale finds to Gamestop and taking advantage of their occasional B2G1 sale on controllers. The Xbox 360 consoles were dirt cheap at yard sales/pawn shops which is why I have so many, except for the R2D2 which I bought brand new when Kmart was closing years ago I think.

I have newer gaming consoles in a different room.
g0aLa1k.jpg

Definitely agree on sound being left out too much of the time but that monitor sounds awful mate, I suppose if you aint got room for a TV its the best bet though without paying out for a stupid "HDR ($)1000" monitor with crap edge lighting thats better than what you have now but a far stretch from a FALD LCD VA or OLED TV.

I am looking for a nicer 1080p monitor.

Not much available where I live. I will have to jump to 32" or more if I want better quality that would be worth the upgrade.

Don't have space for that.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272QP - soon replaced with Eve Spectrum 4K/144hz
Console: PS5 DE
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm
Mic: Blue Snowball
Mixamp: Astro 1st gen
Controller: AIM controller

Monokrom

CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3800X @ 4.25 Ghz
Graphic Card: Powercolor Vega 56 Red Dragon 8 GB 1590 MHZ/900 MHz
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS
Memory: G.Skill Flare X (4x8GB) @3466 MHz CL14
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Storage
: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2, WD Red 3TB x2
Power Unit: Corsair HX850
Monitor: Acer 27" XF270HUA
Sound:
Triangle Elara LN-01A + XTZ 99 W10.16
TV: LG B7 65"
Console: PS5 and PS Vita

Last edited:
Bedroom setup

Display: Random LG 1080p monitor
$120

Console: Xbox Series S
$299

Headphones: Sennheiser HD700
$999

Sound quality matters.

I'm sure the headphones sound fucking amazing but throw some cash towards a decent monitor, it's hella worth it and would go great with that fantastic audio quality. (And trade in that XSS for an XSX of course)

angry parks and recreation GIF

Last edited:
Would love to post a picture of the Series X I just picked up connected to a television, but I'm still torn as to which to get. 55' Samsung QN90A, or 55' LG C1. I do have a bright room with a window facing the TV, though.

Also:
Intel i5 6500
16GB RAM
Samsung Evo 850
AMD XFX RX 480 8GB
24' Acer IPS

Living room is sad with basic Panasonic 42' LCD with my PS4 and SNES mini connected.

Last edited:

SNG32

PC - Laptop
3070 Max P with a ryzen 5900hx cpu

Consoles
Nintendo Switch, PS5, Series X, Wii U, PS3 fat with backwards compatibility, Xbox 360 and Vita tv.

TV
Samsung 4K 55 inch.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Would love to post a picture of the Series X I just picked up connected to a television, but I'm still torn as to which to get. 55' Samsung QN90A, or 55' LG C1. I do have a bright room with a window facing the TV, though.

Also:
Intel i5 6500
16GB RAM
Samsung Evo 850
AMD XFX RX 480 8GB
24' Acer IPS

Living room is sad with basic Panasonic 42' LCD with my PS4 and SNES mini connected.
IMO get the C1 and the update for 4k@120hz Dolby Vision Xbox Series X just dropped for the C1 support.

77in C9
UHQjuLP.jpg

0HtbIER.jpg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
55" TCL Series 6 R635 - fantastic TV for the price.
Use my PS5 on this.

My Switch goes between that TV and my old Vizio 47" in the living room when I want to relax on the couch.
Also in my living room are my PS3, 360, and PS4.

I don't game on PC very much, but I use a 27" ASUS monitor which I find is the perfect size for a monitor.
I also have a 2 mic setup to record stuff with my Elgato 4k60 Pro.

Mics are Behringer XM8500 with a Behringer UMC22 interface and Blue Yeti (USB).

Headset = the Sony Pulse 3D and it's great

Bonus: I also have a PSVR setup and use it on my PS5 with the adapter.

I'm sure the headphones sound fucking amazing but throw some cash towards a decent monitor, it's hella worth it and would go great with that fantastic audio quality. (And trade in that XSS for an XSX of course)

angry parks and recreation GIF

Any recommendations for 1080p, 22-27 inch monitors that would be a step up?

Am looking but all "upgrades" have been 32"+.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
TV: Sony Bravia X9305E (really good 4K HDR LCD with local dimming from 2017, but it's missing HDMI 2.1 of course)

Receiver: Sony STR-DN1080 (again a very nice home theater receiver, but also missing HDMI 2.1)

Headphones: AKG K240 MkII (studio headphones with very flat (accurate) sound reproduction, which might not be optimal for gaming if you're looking for a little more "punch", but they do sound nice)

Main console: PS5
Secondary console: Switch

(Also have a PS4 Pro that I'm gonna try to sell if I can ever get my thumb out of my ass.)

Last edited:
IMO get the C1 and the update for 4k@120hz Dolby Vision Xbox Series X just dropped for the C1 support.

77in C9
UHQjuLP.jpg

0HtbIER.jpg

Certainly looks fantastic. Thing is, I don't feel comfortable buying an OLED without purchasing an extended warranty. Best Buy has a great one for five years, but that pushes up the cost close, if not over, 2K for a 55', which is not palatable to me. I guess I could go with the QN90A first and see if I like it. Really find the idea of returning a set if I don't a big hassle. A bit of a panel lottery too as it relates to DSE. I'm torn....

200.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

I took this photo last year during E3, not much has changed since then.
lfiadb2qdnc51.jpg

Yes I have way too many controllers LOL. The reason for so many controllers is from flipping yard sale finds to Gamestop and taking advantage of their occasional B2G1 sale on controllers. The Xbox 360 consoles were dirt cheap at yard sales/pawn shops which is why I have so many, except for the R2D2 which I bought brand new when Kmart was closing years ago I think.

I have newer gaming consoles in a different room.
g0aLa1k.jpg
Damn, kid.

Jigga117

Certainly looks fantastic. Thing is, I don't feel comfortable buying an OLED without purchasing an extended warranty. Best Buy has a great one for five years, but that pushes up the cost close, if not over, 2K for a 55', which is not palatable to me. I guess I could go with the QN90A first and see if I like it. Really find the idea of returning a set if I don't a big hassle. A bit of a panel lottery too as it relates to DSE. I'm torn....

200.gif
Got Geek Sqaud for my 77in and 55C9 and been gaming with PC and Xbox for over a year. Plenty of people since having the C9 to today’s models haven’t had issue with burn in or image retention.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ok if HAD to show it, nothing fancy:

DSC-4173.jpg

Gave the PS4 Pro to a relative, then PS5 came. If you wonder where the that drawer handle is I smashed it with my foot.

DSC-4249.jpg

Yeah, I know, missed the focus.

You guys are making me want to buy a new PC just for the living room. I'm just not sure if I have the space.

Calverz

Living room:
65” LGCX
Xbox Series X
PS5
PS3
Sky Q
PS2 Slim
Switch
Too many controllers

Gaming room/office
PC
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 3070
32GB Ram Corsair vengeance
1tb m.2 NVME
2tb Firecuda HDD
35” benq ultra wide monitor
24” 1080p monitor
Wii U
Xbox 360
GameCube

GreatnessRD

Living Room
  • TCL 6-Series 4K TV 60hz :messenger_expressionless:
  • Playstation 4/Playstation 3
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Steam Link
  • n64/Sega Genesis
Bedroom
  • Dual Monitors Acer 1440p 170hz / Acer 1080p 144hz
  • CPU Ryzen 7 3700x , GPU AMD 6800 XT, 16GB Ram Corsair Dominators, NVMe Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB/WD SN550 1TB, SSD 860 Evo 500GB

highrider

Banned
I have a Xbox one, and a new LG 43 inch UHD tv. I’d get a new console but I’m not like crazed to get one I’d rather wait until they are readily available. I hardly game at all in the summer like one day a week at the most.

Couch Surfing Edition:
  • LGC9 65"
  • PS5 Physical
  • Lot's of retro collecting dust

Main Rig:
  • Ryzen9 5950X
  • RTX 3070
  • 16GB Memory
  • 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD
  • Dell S2721DGF 1440P (Replaced Alienware 34 UWD)

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Main PC:
  • 4x 27 inch 1440p ips 4ms AOC screens ( basically for text / movies etc )
  • 1x 24 inch 1080p 180hz gsync 1ms screen predator acer or something ( gaming monitor )
  • CPU: 9900k 5,2ghz intel 8/16 core.
  • GPU: 1080ti 11gb msi gaming.
  • Memory: DDR4 3600 32GB
  • SSD: 970 pro 1tb 3,5gbps read, 3gbps write.
  • 4x HDD: 4tb each of total of 16TB.
  • 2x sata 550/550 Sata 3 SSD's, 2tb and 8tb.
  • DH-14 noctua cooler ( 10 year old by now still works like a champ )
  • 9x noctua aircoolers
  • z390 aorus pro motherboard.
  • hyperx Cloud 2 7,1 headset
  • logitech g502 mouse
  • 5 buck microsoft keyboard.
  • Some high end big tower case. Can't remember the name.
  • 750w high end quality brand power supply.

Steam PC:

• CPU: 10300f intel cpu 4/8 core
  • 212 evo cooler
  • 1x 1920x1080 21 inch screen 60hz lcd.
  • Elgato 4k60fps pci-e ( direct connected towards 1080ti )
  • GPU: 1650 super 4gb msi gaming ( for nvenc codec )
  • Some stock motherboard
  • 16GB 3200mhz DDR4
  • 5 buck Microsoft keyboard
  • 5 buck micro mouse.
  • Open case 20 year old computer case that i ripped out in order for it to fit.
  • 600w powersupply some A brand.
Another stuff i have is.

- switch 2x
- 3DS 3 versions so 3x
- few more older nintendo handhelds and consoles like n64.
- ps1/ps2 from sony.
- Some 55 inch oled screen with hdr and 120hz, can't remember the name connected to nvidia shield media box.
- PSP
- Atari
Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

This is a fucking setup.

Sorcerer

Computer: Zotac Nen (16gb ram, ssd,) Absolutely ancient, after 6 years, two of four usb ports are fried, but Horizion Zero Dawn, and CyberPunk run fairly well on it so I am pretty pleased especially since I don't play a ton of triple a games.
I know this thing is ready to die sometime in the next 2 or 3 years and I am dreading what to buy next. To build or get another Zotac. The Magnus One barebones seems like a nice small machine similar to what I have but even the barebones seems to be going around 2000 bucks in these crazy times.

Tv: Samsung 32 inch Smart Monitor 4k, ( a great monitor for $319, that acts like a smart tv, in love with it)
A comprise between performance and convenience but .it works for me.

Orb soundbar.

Last edited:
Monitor gigabyte m27q 170hz 1440p
GPU 3060ti gaming trio (only one available)
CPU 3700x got in a junk box with around 100 bent over pins
Ram 16gb 3600 cl16
SSD sn850
Keyboard some gigabyte Cherry that was 75% off
Mouse glorious model d on sale half price
Headphones swap between Beyer 1770 Beyer amiron and Sony ier-m9 if it's really hot.
Chair fully loaded Herman Miller Aeron I got from a failed startup for about 70% off.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Monitor : Alienware AW3420DW ultrawide 1440p 120Hz Gsync module
Monitor stand : Ergotron LX
Case : NR200P white
Case fans : (3) Noctua NF-A12x25, (1) NF-A12x
Motherboard : Asrock B550 phantom gaming itx/ax
CPU : Ryzen 5 5600
CPU cooler, Noctua NH-L12S
Memory : 2x16GB Corsair vengeance LPX 3600Mhz CL16
SSD : Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB
GPU : Asus TUF 3080 TI
Mouse : Razer orochi V2 wireless, white
Keyboard : Logitech MX keys (retired mech keyboard for work at home ease of switching between laptop/desktop, was tired of noisy mechanical fat keyboards too)
Chair : HumanScale Freedom with headrest

I basically gave up the TV and Switch since that setup. Replaced my 3060 with the 3080 TI yesterday, amazing blazing fast card 😳

Last edited:
Asus ROG 2080ti
i7 9700K @ 5.Ghz
27' Dell 1440P G-sync monitor

For singeplayer games:
PS5, Switch, Dreamcast, and PS3 hooked up to Samsung Q60R good 55 inch 4k OLED.

Top Bottom