• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your ranking's for Christopher Nolan's Filmography?

nolanbar640.jpg

Obviously there will be Spoilers in this thread. If you don't want to be spoiled on any of Nolan's movies you probably should avoid this thread.

With Christopher Nolan becoming the first director in History to score 5 straight $500+ million grossing films, I though Now would be as good a time as any to talk about his Filmography and how you feel / where you would rank his films. here's mine based on his films I've watched

1. The Prestige

prestige_cat.gif

What can I say really. Its my favorite film Nolan has ever made. Everything from the pacing / filming / performances put in by Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman I love. A story about dual parts revenge and obsession I'm still blown away by this film

2. Inception

tumblr_nk5utu2Wrf1shcemfo1_500.gif

Another fantastic film, with yet again amazing performances out of its cast. A movie that at the time / during your first watch really messes with your head and left me head scratching at the end of it. This movie had a serious impact when it was released

3. The Dark Knight

TheDarkKnightEnd.gif

Still one of the finest Comic Book movies ever filmed. What more really needs to be said that hasn't already been 1000x?

4. Batman Begins

5. Memento

6. Dunkirk

7. The Dark Knight Rises

8. Interstellar

9. Insomnia

I can't rank them, but The Prestige, Batman Begins, Inception and Interstellar are my favorites. Dunkirk is probably last place for me.

Toothless

Masterpiece:

1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Dunkirk

Excellent:

4. Memento

Good:

5. Interstellar
6. Batman Begins

Average:

7. The Dark Knight
8. Doodlebug
9. Insomnia
10. Inception

Mediocre:

11. Following

He's got a good filmography for sure; hopefully he pursues more stuff like Dunkirk in the coming years though.

1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. Dunkirk
5. Inception
6. Batman Begins
7. Insomnia
8. Following
9. Interstellar
10. The Dark Knight Rises

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Batman Begins
4. Interstellar
5. The Dark Knight
6. Inception
7. Insomnia
8. Dunkirk
9. Dark Knight Rises

Dark Knight Rises is the only one I think is legit bad. I didn't like Dunkirk cause of the format but the actual direction was amazing, and I think the rest range from good to great.

TissueBox

My top 5 is...

1. Memento (for personal reasons, being the first movie from him I saw and falling in love with his potential)

2. Batman Begins (ignited my hope for a proper superhero drama)

3. The Dark Knight (arguably the best superhero film of all time)

4. The Prestige (the film Nolan had longed to make, and it pays off)

5. Dunkirk (his biggest and most ambitious statement yet)

kmfdmpig

My favorites:
Prestige
Dark Knight, Batman Begins
Memento

Ones I like:
Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar
Inception

Ones I haven't yet seen:
Insomnia (can't stand Pacino's acting in the last few decades)
and
Dunkirk (I want to watch it soon)

Eidan

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Prestige
3) Inception
4) The Dark Knight Rises
5) Interstellar
6) Memento
7) Batman Begins
8) Dunkirk
9) Insomnia
10) Following

Following is the only one I consider to be bad. I'm not sure how anyone could rank it above anything else in his filmography.

TheXbox

Dunkirk > Insomnia > Inception > Batman Begins > Interstellar > The Prestige > The Dark Knight > The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't seen Memento or Following.

Memento, The Dark Knight, and Insomnia are all top tier (haven't seen Dunkirk yet). Inception, Interstellar, Batman Begins, and The Prestige are middle tier, all good really, but have some problems with them. Following is lower tier, a good debut, but nothing spectacular. And the Dark Knight Rises is shit tier, one of the worst comic book movies ever and one of the worst plots/screenplays I've ever seen, but I think GAF has trashed this movie enough that there is little more to say.

ibyea

Banned
Prestige is definitely number 1 for me, and Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, and The Following are last, before last, and third from last respectively. The rest are sort of up in the air because I really like them all. Rises is the only one that I think is legit bad.

Vyrance

Prestige
Interstellar
Batman Begins
Dunkirk
Dark Knight
Insomnia
Dark Knight Rises
Inception

Haven't seen Memento or Following

Lunaray

nolanbar640.jpg

Obviously there will be Spoilers in this thread. If you don't want to be spoiled on any of Nolan's movies you probably should avoid this thread.

With Christopher Nolan becoming the first director in History to score 5 straight $500+ million grossing films, I though Now would be as good a time as any to talk about his Filmography and how you feel / where you would rank his films. here's mine based on his films I've watched

1. The Prestige

prestige_cat.gif

What can I say really. Its my favorite film Nolan has ever made. Everything from the pacing / filming / performances put in by Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman I love. A story about dual parts revenge and obsession I'm still blown away by this film

2. Inception

tumblr_nk5utu2Wrf1shcemfo1_500.gif

Another fantastic film, with yet again amazing performances out of its cast. A movie that at the time / during your first watch really messes with your head and left me head scratching at the end of it. This movie had a serious impact when it was released

3. The Dark Knight

TheDarkKnightEnd.gif

Still one of the finest Comic Book movies ever filmed. What more really needs to be said that hasn't already been 1000x?

4. Batman Begins

5. Memento

6. Dunkirk

7. The Dark Knight Rises

8. Interstellar

9. Insomnia

Wow OP I agree with your list almost completely. The only difference I would make is rank Memento over Batman Begins.

He's got a good filmography for sure; hopefully he pursues more stuff like Dunkirk in the coming years though.

You know Dunkirk isn't my favorite film he's made (still immensely enjoyed it) but if we are purely talking directing capabilities I think its his most impressive film by a considerable margin.

Wow OP I agree with your list almost completely. The only difference I would make is rank Memento over Batman Begins.

Thumbs up!

Pachimari

1. Insomnia
2. Inception
3. Batman Begins
4. The Prestige
5. The Dark Knight
6. Interstellar
7. Memento
8. Dunkirk
9. The Dark Knight Rises

Dunkirk and Rises were shit. Memento was confusing and I need to give that one movie more time. Interstellar was interesting. Begins is the best Batman movie ever made. And Insomnia is pure greatness.

jem0208

The good:
Dark Knight Rises and Batman Begins.

Rises gets way too much hate, it's a flawed but still very good movie.

The great:
Dunkirk and Interstellar

Interstellar could have been one of my favourites but I feel like the ending was poor. Dunkirk is one of the most stressful and intense movies I have ever experienced.

The best:
The Prestige = Dark Knight = Inception

All 3 are absolutely fantastic movies (probably my three favourite movies actually) which I genuinely struggle to fault.

I haven't seen the others, however considering Nolan is easily my favourite director I really should do soon...

Guess I need to rent Insomnia. It's the only one I've never seen. Don't know a thing about it either.
For the longest time it was the only movie of his I hadn't seen and I just remedied that last week. It is very good. It's a remake of a Norweigan movie so i don't know how much is really his.

My favorites are The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Interstellar and Inception probably in that order.

The Dark Knight Rises and Memento are pretty good too.

I thought Dunkirk and Batman Begins were very average films.

Myriadis

From best to really good:
1. Interstellar
2. Dark Knight
3. Memento
4. Inception
5. Dark Knight Rises

Need to watch more of his movies, as pretty much everything he has put out so far was really good. I'm a sucker for more realistic Sciene Fiction so Interstellar is my jam, and I love the pictures, music, everything.

My list would probably look like this but my list constantly changes depending on the day

1.The Dark Knight
2.Inception
3.Batman Begins
4.Memento (Honestly I might put this at #3 I love this movie)
5/6.The Prestige or Dunkirk (I really enjoyed both films and I can see myself placing them higher)
7. Insomnia
8.The Dark Knight Rises
9.Interstellar
10.Following

Nolan is a great director and he is definitely one of my favorites out there. I have enjoyed everything he has put out with the top 6 films ranging from great to amazing and the 7-10 films ranging from good to very good movies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
1) TDK is his best. It's the perfect movie. Great performances. Incredible editing. Fantastic score. Some fantastic story moments that no one sees coming. Frantic pacing. Great action. People clapped when he took down the semi truck and did a 180 off that wall. Perfect Ending. Everything about this movie is amazing.

2)Inception and Interstellar are tied for second. Both have great soundtracks. Intersteller is a little flawed while Inception is this tight and focused, Interstellar is epic and grand, and executes 4-5 really complex ideas in some of the most visually stunning storytelling ever. Everyone hates the bookshelf scene because of the love comment, but it's the most impressive way i have seen time represented as a physical dimension. loved how they didnt shy away from showing the worm hole, black hole and time as a physical dimension. Most movies shy away from showing stuff like that.

The storytelling in Inception is remarkable. He feeds you information slowly but steadily and it all just feeds into the ending so poetically. They did grow old together. How romantic and sad.

3) Batman Begins - Didnt like this at first, but then grew to love it for Nolan's trademark editing and soundtrack combo. The first 40 minutes are phenomenal storytelling. This is when I became a Nolan whore. TDK just confirmed that i will go to my grave as a Nolan whore.

4) TDKR - Flawed. But still better than 99% of the Superhero movies out there. Incredible soundtrack and visuals.

5) Dunkrik - Flawed. I dont like it very much. But had some great dogfight scenes and a killer soundtrack.

I dont understand the love for Prestige on GAF. To me, it was boring and had unlikeable characters who were terrible to everyone around them. Am I supposed to feel something for them? The ending was silly but i will admit i didnt see it coming. David Bowe as Tesla was the highlight for me. And that's kinda sad.

Jigorath

Banned
Memento is by far my favorite Nolan film. The Dark Knight and Inception round out my top 3. Interstellar is definitely the worst.

Sephzilla

I haven't seen all of Nolan's movies but here's what I'd rank from the one's I've seen

1a- Inception
1b- Batman Begins
3- The Prestige
4- The Dark Knight
5- Memento
6- The Dark Knight Rises
7- Interstellar

Unseen = Dunkirk and Insomnia

Even though it has flaws, Inception feels like the most polished Nolan movie I've seen. Batman Begins gets better with each viewing for me and seems to creep up my favorite superhero movie list every time. Dark Knight on the other hand kind of loses some of its magic on revisits. Begins still has probably my favorite ending of a comic book movie.

KFMIcW8.gif

Z78nH4I.gif

E733MxY.gif

To me, it was boring and had unlikeable characters who were terrible to everyone around them. Am I supposed to feel something for them?.

That's entirely the point of the film. Its about how obsession can destroy you and those around you. Both of the "main" characters are obsessive and it totally crushes their lives

A very powerful movie imo

cyba89

From best to "worst"

The Dark Knight
Memento
Interstellar
The Prestige
Inception
Dunkirk
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Insomnia

Wouldn't call a single one of these films bad or mediocre. In fact the Top 6 are all pretty amazing films with the rest a bit below but still good.

Have not seen The Following.

reckless

1)Begins
2)Prestige
3)Interstellar
4)Rises
5)Dunkirk
6)Dark Knight
7)Inception

But they're all pretty good.

Haven't seen Insomnia or Memento.

i'd probably watch insomnia again so that one is likely my top. begins still holds up, the rest of the batman movies definitely don't imo

robotrock

Banned
I hope this doesn't get locked for being a list thread.

1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. Memento
5. Interstellar
6. Dunkirk
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight Rises

I love all of those. I haven't seen Following or Insomnia yet

1. Memento
2. Interstellar
3. Inception
4. Dunkirk
...etc...
8. Batman Begins
9. The Dark Knight Rises

The people putting Batman movies above interesting, narrative-bending work like Memento and Inception are just... Man. Well, anyway.

Daingurse

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Prestige
3. Memento
4. Inception
5. Batman Begins
6. Interstellar
7. The Dark Knight Rises

Haven't seen Dunkirk, Insomnia, or The Following.

Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite working directors. I haven't seen a single film from him that I've disliked. I really love his visual style and method of story-telling. This thread is making me want to fill in the gaps, and check out the few films of his I haven't seen yet. I tend to love war movies, so Dunkirk is definitely on top of my list.

of what I've seen it would probably be

1) Interstellar - just a beautiful looking movie that really captured me. Only saw it once but left a pretty strong impression and felt like his most human movie to me

2) Memento - the structure of this was just so good, the realization that the further you move in the less you feel like you know what's happening was great, other than the ending there isn't one big twist but you slowly start to doubt what you've seen and it makes the ending that much better

3) Batman Begins - it's been a little while since I've seen any of the Nolan Batmen but this was definitely my favorite, serious but also kind of pulpy in a way I really like

4) The Prestige - it makes you really smart for realizing mysteries that aren't actually that difficult to solve and it's enjoyable watching it all come together. I wish it was a little clearer about jumping between time after the introduction but I imagine it gets better if I watch it again

5) The Dark Knight - not my favorite but very respectable in its own way, definitely a good movie

6) Dunkirk - think I'd like it better if I watched it again, was really into the sea and air parts but didn't enjoy most of the troop parts

7) Inception - neat but wasn't really my fave

8) The Dark Knight Rises - this was actually just really bad

Nolan isn't my favorite director but I think it's cool and good to see blockbusters that aren't franchises and are fairly original conceptually so I'm glad he's doing what he does and that it's popular. Still need to see Insomnia.

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Batman Begins
4. The Dark Knight
5. Dunkirk
6. Insomnia
7. Inception
8. Following
9. Interstellar
10. The Dark Knight Rises

Although six and lower is getting pretty difficult to rank. I mostly enjoy them but I consider there to be some big flaws, especially with 9 and 10.

I've only seen Interstellar, going by his credits on IMDB. Which I enjoyed.

(I'm actively disinterested in comic book movies, and just haven't seen anything else on the list.)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Inception > Interstellar > Memento > Insomnia > The Dark Knight > rest.

Haven't watched Dunkirk yet, and I don't care much for the Batman films.

I need to rewatch Inception. I only saw it once in the theater. It might rank higher after a rewatch.

The only movie of his that I don't care to rewatch is Dunkirk. I didn't get much out of the story. Obviously great visuals and techniques.

Daingurse

Oh dang we aren't supposed to make ranking threads? I didn't realize that my bad. I just though the 5 films $500 million mark was a major accomplishment and a good time to talk about Nolans work

They seem to be frowned upon, and get locked when people just list things without going into depth. I myself enjoy them though lol. I just like getting a quick feel for what people like, and how they rank them¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The people putting Batman movies above interesting, narrative-bending work like Memento and Inception are just... Man. Well, anyway.

I love Memento, but not more than Batman lol. Is what it is.

Sephzilla

Oh dang we aren't supposed to make ranking threads? I didn't realize that my bad. I just though the 5 films $500 million mark was a major accomplishment and a good time to talk about Nolans work

As long as it's not just a list thread and you give some substance behind some of your picks I think the thread will be okay

SirShandy

1. Inception
2. The Dark Knight
3. Memento
4. The Prestige
5. Interstellar
6. Batman Begins
7. Insomnia
8. The Dark Knight Returns

Haven't seen Dunkirk or Following.

Top Bottom