• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your top 5 RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clessidor

Haven't played much RPGs to be honest, but my TOP 5 are:

1. Enderal (Skyrim Total Conversion Mod)
  2. Gothic 2
  3. Vampires Dawn 2
  4. Morrowind
  5. Fable - Lost Chapters

Bishop89

No order

Final Fantasy X
picgifs-final-fantasy-x-0641528.gif

Dragon Quest 8
tumblr_mkjijy85jw1qb1m9to1_500.gif

Deus Ex HR
tumblr_m9lrewHWgw1ru12jho1_500.gif

Yakuza 3
tumblr_nthrb5uIrs1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Pokemon (Gen 1, 2 & 4)
tumblr_inline_mjrvx1Y5Vs1qz4rgp.gif

sublimit

Banned
In no particular order:

Demon's Souls (i could easily put all SoulsBorne games here but i want to include only one from each franchise)
Dragon's Dogma
Dragon Quest VIII
Xenoblade Chronicles
Witcher 3

Come to think of it,it's crazy that there's no Final Fantasy in my top 5 anymore.I've played all the mainline games (except FFXV) and most of the spin offs and some of them i still love them a lot (FFIV,FFVII,FFIX,FFX,FFXII) but not enough to dethrone the ones currently in my top 5.

hotcyder

A few of these stretch the definition of an RPG so bare with me.

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 2
Chrono Trigger
XCOM 2

Nestunt

1. Final Fantasy VIII (purely nostalgia)

2. NieR Automata (still too fresh)

3. The Witcher 3

4. Final Fantasy X

5. Tie between: Mass Effect 2, Skyrim, Lost Odyssey, The Witcher 2 and Persona 5 (still playing)

Kneefoil

• The World Ends With You
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Skies of Arcadia: Legends
  • Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
JRPGs are my thing.

The order of that list isn't very significant in any way. They're all great.

woopWOOP

In no real order, standouts for me would be:
Paper Mario [N64]
Skies of Arcadia
Earthbound
Terranigma
Final Fantasy Tactics A2

(if action RPGs and tactical RPGs don't count, replace last two with Final Fantasy VII and Star Ocean [SNES])

Vamp

1. Bloodborn
2. Dark Souls 3
3. Dark Souls 2
4. Dark Souls 1
5. Demon's Souls

and extra: Final Fantasy 8

Skulldead

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Xenogears
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. EarthBound
5. Star Ocean 3

You could change 2-5 in any order, but Chrono Trigger will always be my number 1.

Mathieran

Banned
I never know exactly what qualifies as RPGs anymore but I will go with this (in no particular order)

Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
The Witcher 3
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Deus Ex: HR

I'm most partial to:

Divinity II
Mana Khemia
Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Morrowind
Gothic 1/2

And whatever halfway-decent-to-brilliant blobber I'm playing (right now it's Might & Magic: Legacy).

But really, it changes all the time.

Shamelessly copied my own post from the 2016 essential RPG thread.

CgAQWKW.png

1. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - Bloodlines oozes atmosphere. Wandering the streets of downtown LA, haunting soundtrack in the background, is an experience unlike any other. The world feels dark yet so alive which is expressed in the writing, the world and the visuals. It all comes together to create a beautiful, believable and ominous world. The writing is stellar and the voice-acting also deserves a thumbs-up. On top of all that, Bloodlines also excels in offering choice. You can choose between different clans at the start. And it isn't purely an aesthetic choice. Playing as a Malkavian completely changes how you will approach the game and offers you the chance to play as mentally insane schizophrenic with prophetic abilities. Playing as a Toreador for example will give you a more classic game experience. The point is that Troika has gone out of their way to deliver replayability and uniqueness to each clan in the game. There isn't anything like it, to be honest. Besides clans Bloodlines offers a lot more of choice & consequence. Your decisions impact the world, which factions you will align with and who you will or won't piss off. Thanks to its robust skill system it is possible to approach most missions in a myriad of ways. Besides the obvious smooth-talking or combat, often you will find a back entrance or a computer somewhere. Exploring will always yield rewards. Combat is serviceable and allows you several options, ranging from guns to swords to vampiric abilities. Pick swords, seriously. The quests Bloodlines offers are great in variety and execution. From exploring a haunted beach hotel to tracking down seriously messed up video producers, it all works extremely well in the world Troika has created. I have to be honest, I have one major complaint about the game. The finale is a crazy rollercoaster but relies too much on combat and not enough what made the previous 30 to 40 hours of the game so great: dialogue and interactivity. It is a small spot on what is otherwise a masterpiece of game design.

Bj26JAp.png

2. The Witcher (Best soundtrack) - The Witcher is the game that got me into RPGs. I fondly remember the gloomy swamps, the sun rising while the villagers woke up. I remember strolling through the wheat fields on a summer day. The beauty of the world is in stark contrast with the society that lives in it. There is no good or evil. You're not the saviour of the world. Even the tasks you're set out to perform are low key. You try to gain access to the city, solve a murder mystery, help a village deal with the fallout of a broken wedding. All the while a conflict is brewing in the background. A rebel group fighting for what once was, fighting in the name of long lost values and ideals. On the other side a religious order that has proclaimed a crusade against non-humans. The magnificence of the world is supported by an excellent alchemy system, rhytmic combat and a wide array of choices with real consequences. It doesn't hurt either that the game still looks beautiful for modern standards. Chapter 4 is still one of the most stunning locations ever created in an RPG and feels exactly like an adventure set in the world of the Witcher should feel.

6rgOIaO.png

3. The Secret World (Best writing) - The Secret World is a flawed game. Its biggest flaw being that it is an MMORPG. The combat is floaty, the game is an unoptimized mess and it has many of the typical MMO pitfalls. But despite all that, The Secret World deserves a spot in my top-3. Very rare is it that an MMO gets praised for its story. Even rarer is it that an MMO outshines nearly all single-player games in terms of storytelling. And The Secret World is such an MMO. The game takes place in an alternate reality of our world coming with all the cultural references. The story heavily relies on urban myths and legends as the canvas for the overarching theme of the literal corruption of the world. You start off in Kingsmouth, New England, a location heavily influenced by Lovecraftian horror. The atmosphere there is so tense and oppressive that you can't help but get sucked into the wonderful storytelling of Funcom. The story is told through long, dramatic character monologues and they work great. Unlike other MMO's each NPC has a very distinct personality and his or her own ambitions. The great writing, voice-acting and voice-directing certainly contribute to these aspects. The story goes from New England to Egypt to Romania to Tokyo and it all ties in wonderfully at the end. It truly is a marvel that one of the best told stories in gaming should come from an MMO. Next to that The Secret World combines its magnificent storytelling with quest mechanics that could come straight out of an adventure game. Investigation quests have you searching up Bible verses, translating morse code and searching up company websites. CDProjekt, please take note. This is what detective work should be like. And besides its MMORPG shortcomings, the dungeons in The Secret World are an absolute joy to explore. From Soviet cosmonaut training facilities to the Hell dimensions, they are all mini-stories crafted within the bigger picture of the story.

OU6gcS9.png

4. Fallout: New Vegas - Despite shortcomings such as the sometimes insufferable Gamebryo engine and the accompanying technical issues, Fallout: New Vegas is one of the best open-world story-heavy games out there. You start out as a courier without any links to a previous life (at least not until the revelations in Lonesome Road, take notes please Bethesda). This is the ideal set-up for developing your blank slate character into someone with their own morals, values and allegiances. And New Vegas offers plenty of opportunities for that. The showdown in Goodsprings is basically New Vegas on a microscale. The major factions and the faction-interplay in the game are really well done, although the Legion could have used some more work, despite the DLC's giving them more background. The NCR is superb in taking the mantle of the defender of old world values, praising democracy and bureaucracy above everything else, even at the cost of efficiency. House is a charismatic figure with a rich history and someone who has the best interests of New Vegas at heart. As long as he stays in charge, of course. The Legion is the only faction with a distinct place on the black & white moral spectrum. The story is a simple one culminating into a logical climax at Hoover Dam but the road to that climax is great and filled with memorable quests. Every quest provides you with a variety of solutions (I assume everyone has seen the White Glove Society flow chart by now, that's how great quest design can be!) and really help reinforcing the feeling that you are playing a role. Patching up enemy soldiers to increase morale? Sure, I have the necessary medical knowledge! Replacing the skill checks by a charisma check was probably one of the worst decisions in Fallout 4. The game has some great armour sets especially in the DLC's (hello Riot gear!) and a huge variety of weapons in display. At times Fallout: New Vegas feels like role-playing heaven but sadly at other times the engine's limitations come into play, mainly the floaty combat and terrible facial expressions. Despite that, Obsidian has done a wonderful job into creating their own Fallout game with its own distinct style, mixing it up from the usual post-apocalyptic style that Fallout 3 and 4 have.

rE04UOc.png

5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The Witcher 3 takes the best aspects of the first entry (atmosphere, soundtrack, aesthetics, open-world) and combines them with those of the second entry (storytelling, writing, voice-acting) to create one of the most ambitious games ever made. The game should be made a case study on how to create an a cohesive, consistent and mesmerising open world. Instead of presenting you with the typical forest-desert-ice environments, The Witcher 3 drops you off in Velen, a swampy land torn apart by war between Redania and Nilfgaard. Velen is scarred by bloody battles and the environments reflect that through oppressive scenery and prowling monsters. When you leave the swamps in the south, you will see more and more signs of beauty emerging. You will pass villages, forests and the scenery gradually becomes more pleasant. Eventually you cross the Pontar and leave behind all misery for a region filled with rich grain fields and orchards which are the extensions of a city growing from the inside. The Witcher 3 introduces a new hallmark for worldbuilding and meanwhile fills its world with some of the best side-quests and characters seen in gaming. The Bloody Baron, Dijkstra, Yennefer, Keira Metz, Gaunter O'Dimm, (I could go on and on) are extremely well developed characters and they elevate the storytelling and questing to a very high level. And I certainly don't want to forget Geralt himself. It's a joy to role-play as him. While you will always play as Geralt, CD Projekt has ensured you have more than enough options for player agency and moral agency. The Witcher 3 does role-playing very well on a smaller spectrum. The only flaws to this masterpiece are the shallow skill system and the loot distribution. I can't wait for Blood & Wine.

Maedre

Banned
- Final Fantasy 7
- Fallout New Vegas
- Breath of Fire 3
- World of Warcraft Classic-WotLK
- Dark/Demom Bloodsoulsborne

Only five entries are not enough to do this fantastic genre justice

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
-Planescape Torment
-Gothic 2
-Witcher 1/3
-Divinity Original Sin
-Kotor 2 / New Vegas (depends on the day)

Honorable mention: Vampire Bloodlines, Baldur's Gate 2, Final Fantasy VI and Pillars of Eternity

5. Fallout
4. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
3. The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt
2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC
1. Planescape: Torment

Honorable mention to Trails in the Sky SC, the JRPG that came closest to making the list.

Budi

This is really tough. I have to separate these to two different lists, from the year 2000 and before and the others after that. Since I want to give recognition to as many games as possible and I don't want to favor nostalgia over refinement nor new technology over the old. And I also break the rules by listing 6.

2000 and before

1. Deus Ex
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Fallout 2
4. Diablo 2
5. Final Fantasy 8
6. Fallout

After 2000

1. Witcher 3
2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
3. The Witcher
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. The Witcher 2
6. Wasteland 2

As you can see it's pretty much based on franchises, certain familiarity and trust has guided me in my gaming purchases. I have many absolute classics yet to properly play, in example Planescape Torment, Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Baldur's gate. Also many of the modern games like Divinity: OS, Mass Effect 2, Dark Souls and Pillars of Eternity that I've only scratched on the surface. I will never get to play all the games I want and some even absolutely need to.

Also big shoutouts to Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past and original XCOM with the Firaxis reboots, some people consider these being RPG too. I really don't, which why those can't be found on my lists.

jjasper

1. Tactics Ogre
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Vampire: Masquerade Bloodlines
4. Final Fantasy XII
5. Baldur's Gate 2

Honorable Mentions:
Ogre Battle 64, Final Fantasy VI and Tactics, Xenoblade Chronicles, Bloodborne, KOTOR, Mass Effect

Aaron D.

Boy, that's tough.

In order of release:

AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin (Intellivision)
Chrono Trigger
System Shock 2
Morrowind
Pillars of Eternity

Fbh

-Dark Souls
-Bloodborne
-Demon souls.

The "souls" franchise is quite simply my favorite gaming franchise (not just RPG's). The amazing world and art direction, the great combat and gameplay, the nearly unparalleled sense of exploration, the challenge that allways feels like it's pushing my skills but never in a frustrating way, the deep and interesting lore, etc etc.
And among them, these 3 are my favorite. Demon Souls was the original and will allways have special value to me, it also did some really cool things that none of the sequels did.
Dark Souls 1 felt like a more polished version of DS. I loved how it turned into one big and amazingly designed interconnected world. And it just has so many unforgettable moments. Arriving at Anor Londo, Ornstein and smough, artorias, etc.
And then Bloodborne took all I liked about the souls games and took it into a wild and fresh new direction. I love the faster paced combat but more than anything I love the twisted and dark world and the way it shifts from on style of horror to another.

- Chrono Trigger.
No JRPG has captured the sense of adventure as this one IMO. This has probably my favorite cast of characters in any game and was overall just a great adventure. All the places feel unique and with a lot of variety thanks to the time travel premise and the music will give me a strong and joyful sense of nostalgia for as long as I live.
It was also way ahead of it's time and in many ways ahead of games that would come in the next few decades. Combined attacks, battles with no loading and no separate fighting screen, multiple endings and NG+, etc.

- The Witcher 3.
I tend to hate 100+ hours long games because the length never feels justified. It allways seems like there is a lot of filler content and grinding and a nother type of crap to stretch the lenght.
The Witcher 3 is so far the only 100+ hours game I've played that actually had great content to fill up all of those hours. I'm still blown away by the fact that I was 115 hours into the game and still found a cool sidequest with unique characters and situations, plot twists and unique loot.
Add to that a great cast of characters and amazing presentation and the game is nearly perfect. Honestly, if I didn't find the combat to be terrible this might have taken the top spot.

Ensoul

1) Final Fantasy 2 (snes)
2) Phantasy Star 2 (genesis)
3)Grandia (PSX)
4) Lunar (sega CD)
5) Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

5. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
f3c42d4170d74fbf60ad2e9ee3c0d4bda4b3a59601ac2ac0875be54ce3cfd37c_196.jpg

4. Planescape: Torment
fa204532133f3ded41330f4d07fcf4125518237cf867681e08853317f87cbf8e_196.jpg

3. Fallout 2
2eacec7ba8ea156e8084e81fad19ddd32cb72075ccda652e285f451995fae13b_196.jpg

2. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
865e412024677b4594a91ea7cc3da75077ce8114adc26d5b92cb82c7f9b4509f_196.jpg

1. Ultima VII: The Black Gate
7a843f83496e360981b771c636119ad127943b1666517163f20227f389dee060_196.jpg

1) Ni No Kuni - Loved everything about that game, best art style to date. Story and its mechanics were great and touching. I hope there'll be an HD re-release, and that NNK2 will be a worthy successor.
2) The Witcher 3
Impeccable masterpiece
3) Persona 5
I loved being a phantom thief
4) Persona 4
Dungeons weren't nearly as good as in P5, but group dynamics were even better.
5) Skyrim
I loved the do-whatever-you-want mechanics and exploring the dungeons

I'm just not into traditional rpg's as much as others and my list reflects that. Shining Force II was probably more in line with what the OP was wanting when saying RPG.

1. World of Warcraft - favorite game of all time followed closely by Halo CE/Zelda OoT ;)
2. Shining Force II (showed me that rpg's don't have to have random encounters, which I detest. Finding new characters and assembling your own choice of fighters was amazing)
3. Morrowind
4. Deus Ex Mankind Divided
5. Fantasy Life (3ds)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom