• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

redcrayon

About 20 hours into Arc the Lad III after playing the first two last year. Really enjoying it, some great characters and the references to the heroics of the first two games is done really well. I don't think it's quite as good as ATLII, but it feels a bit shorter/smaller which is a good thing as the previous title was over 60 hours long.

poodaddy

Shin Megami Tensei 4. Love it but I'm probably gonna skip Apocalypse. I'm not even halfway through the game and I'm starting to get a bit bored of it. Perhaps the problem is that I'm trying to 100% it.

Teknoman

Shin Megami Tensei 4. Love it but I'm probably gonna skip Apocalypse. I'm not even halfway through the game and I'm starting to get a bit bored of it. Perhaps the problem is that I'm trying to 100% it.

Im doing that with WRPG now or at least plan to. Not 100% them but just enjoy the main story and whatever extras along the way.

poodaddy

Im doing that with WRPG now or at least plan to. Not 100% them but just enjoy the main story and whatever extras along the way.

Yeah I need to really stop with my completionist shit. It's the reason why I only beat about two to five games a year nowadays and my backlog seems to be constantly expanding. I think it's a side effect of my OCD. I know lots of people say they have OCD like it's a fun anecdote but I don't think most people realize how it actually can completely ruin your favorite hobbies and by extension your life in some regards; shit sucks man lol. I'm only like that with RPG's though, with action games and the like I couldn't give a shit about 100%ing them, it's weird.

SolidSmiech

Neo Member
I'm hot off the heels of platinuming Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. It was my first LoH game, and I absolutely loved it. I immediately jumped into Trails of Cold Steel 2, and I'm currently pretty early in it. SO much is happening in CS2, and my constant desire to know what happens next shows how much this series has grabbed me. I just can't get over how ridiculously good the world building is in these games; it's in a league of its own.

Vic_Viper

Thinking about playing Parasite Eve and Chroni Trigger. Have both on PSN/PS3. How does the Story and Gameplay hold up on Parasite Eve? The series always intreigued me but I completely missed it when I was playing PS1 JRPGs.

Also does Chrono Trigger on PS3 still have the horrible load times? Is there a better version than the DS out ATM? Is it on Wii U VC, and is it better than the PSN version? Really wish they would put it on PS4 like they did with FFVII.

Also any chance they are going to release Dragon Quest 8 on the PS4 ps2 classics? Also missed out on it.

Thinking about playing Parasite Eve and Chroni Trigger. Have both on PSN/PS3. How does the Story and Gameplay hold up on Parasite Eve? The series always intreigued me but I completely missed it when I was playing PS1 JRPGs.

Also does Chrono Trigger on PS3 still have the horrible load times? Is there a better version than the DS out ATM? Is it on Wii U VC, and is it better than the PSN version? Really wish they would put it on PS4 like they did with FFVII.

Also any chance they are going to release Dragon Quest 8 on the PS4 ps2 classics? Also missed out on it.

chrono trigger as a ps1 classic is still bad, the ds version is the best, and it is on wii vc

kurahador

Also does Chrono Trigger on PS3 still have the horrible load times? Is there a better version than the DS out ATM? Really wish they would put it on PS4 like they did with FFVII.

Parasite Eve is uh....unique. The game is basically like earlier an Resident Evil games if they were an RPG.
So basically there's like screen turn to black when you encounter enemies, tank control and then shooting at different parts of the enemies.

Dunno.

Slim. S-E seems intent on keeping DQ7 on Nintendo hardware due to all the translation works done by Nintendo for the 3DS. But for DQ8 who knows. SE might wait for the 3DS version to release first, and then maybe we'll see it once DQ11 is close to release on PS4. This is still depends whether or not Nintendo has a hands in the translation works for DQ8 3DS -- because if they do, chances are we won't be seeing it ever.

mstevens

DS or SNES would be ideal for Chrono Trigger, but if you want to play it on Wii U I think it is still on the Wii shop. Should be much better than the Playstation version.

I'm near the end of Dragon Quest 7. Feels like a bit of a slog at this point and I'll be glad to be done with it. Looking forward to World of Final Fantasy.

Apenheul

Just started (last week):
- Trials in the Sky (PSP)
- Rune Factory 4 (3DS)

In progress:
- Dragon Quest VI (DS)
- Fire Emblem Fates Conquest
- Lufia 2 (SNES)

On hold:
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Wii U)
- Persona 4 Golden (Vita)

Recently finished:
- Radiant Historia (DS)
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)
- Illusion of Time (SNES)
- Fire Emblem Fates Birthright (3DS)

_Ryo_

Update on my progress of some of the games I had been playing and still am. First time playing each game. Note: some games its been months between each play session.

Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King: 63:57 hours of play time. 65% Completed?
Have just completed the Dragon Graveyard.

Enjoying it a lot for the most part. First time seriously playing a Dragon Quest game. The animations are brilliant. Pacing is quite slow.

Final Fantasy XII: 22:51 hours play time. 45% Completed?
Ogir-Yensa Sandsea:The Western Divide.

Hated the battle system at first. Love it now.FFXV should have adopted its action from this game. Hunts are really satisfying. Feels like a great accomplishment whenever I complete one. That fucking Cluckatrice had no right being as difficult as it was, though. Pacing is kind of weird but at least it is not as slow as Dragon Quest's VIII's. Hair tech in this game is miles above FFX and X-2. I actually think it's some of the best in any game, period.

Tales of the Abyss: 06:25 hours of play time. 7% Completed?
Choral Castle

ANIME: The Game! Nah, it's enjoyable but I'm not really feeling the battle system. Mosty cause I suck at fighting games and this game has a battle system similar to early entries in the Street Fighter series. I like the voice acting. Lots of Persona carry overs. The story is... Well I haven't played enough to make up my mind. Graphics are kind of iffy. The music is great. Also Tear da Tsundere goddess. *bows*

Star Ocean - Til The End of Time: 07:04 hours of play time. 5% Completed?
Mining Town of Kirlsa: Fayt, Kirlsa

I am really enjoying it. Great characters. Very immersive. The Battle System feels similar to Tales of the Abyss so I don't love it. I feel like I'm just mashing buttons as the game didn't come with a manual and I couldn't read about it to properly grasp it, and I ferl the game doesn't do enough to explain it.

There are some very neat moments where you're provided with a choice, which often leads to quite amusing scenes. The faces in this game are fucking atrocious. What. The. Fuck.

Final Fantasy X2: LOL. I noped the fuck out of this game after reading about the masochistic requirements for completion, 100% and the true ending. Shame. I really enjoyed the poppy aesthetics and juxtapositions between the first game.

Fou-Lu

What's a good JRPG to play for Halloween? I finished Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant recently so perhaps not those.

jonno394

Final Fantasy X HD on my PC: Really enjoying this, when I played through initially on the PS2 I got to the third
Seymour
fight and could never beat him, so gave up. I am currently wondering round in a desert and can't remember how far I am off from that, but i'm adamant i'm going to finish the game this time!

.JayZii

Banned
Getting back into my playthrough of Earthbound that I left off at Threed a few months ago. I'm also attempting to get into NI no Kuni for the third time, but I always find myself finding other things to do.
FFIX and almost finished then tackle FF X Remaster ( still wondering about X-2 ).
I really like the job and battle systems in X-2 and I wish they'd be re-used in some new Final Fantasy stuff, but the story and aesthetics are almost entirely hot caca.

Raybunny

Getting back into my playthrough of Earthbound that I left off at Threed a few months ago. I'm also attempting to get into NI no Kuni for the third time, but I always find myself finding other things to do.

I really like the job and battle systems in X-2 and I wish they'd be re-used in some new Final Fantasy stuff, but the story and aesthetics are almost entirely hot caca.

I see, thanks. Will add it to the list and if it becomes boring then go for FFXIII

JaseMath

Just finished Ys: Memories of Celceta. Gameplay was great (like all Ys titles), but the story was muddled with too many subplots and extraneous dialogue.

Fireblend

Banned
Almost done with Earthbound on VC. Of all the times I've played this game, this was easily the one I've had a worst time getting the Sword of Kings for Poo. Took me like 2 hours and I got it right when I was about to quit. Glad that's done with.

pbayne

Close enough to a jrpg but finished up Child of Light. Game had its charm and i liked the battle system well enough but it was a bit too straightforward and simple overall for my liking.

danthefan

Got Disgaea 4 in the last steam sale so playing through that. Trying to get my head around the item world and how to get the most from it, and just making my way through the chapters. It's quite enjoyable.

MetalGearSilly

Neo Member
Just finished FF XII. Wanted to finish the game after giving up on it 10 years ago. Whilst I enjoyed the challenge...there was a lot that I hated too.

Took me around 50 hours to complete without all the hunts of course. I thought the game had some senseless things built into it....like having to meet certain conditions for the (hunt) monsters to appear...and having to travel back again for the reward. If it had been a little more honest I would have probably finished all the hunts.

Instead, the game insisted I waste my time with walking around to find markers and then going deep into dungeons I had already cleared to complete a hunt.

I also thought quickenings were random and ruined the game. Summons were near pointless.

Rhanitan

Just beat DQ builders and finished playing Chrono trigger with my SO for their first time. They loved Robo as much as I did. I might try and finish playing FF 9 next(only ever got to the second disc).

DQVIII: This
Pirate
Boss keeps kicking my ass. Woah.
If you can get one of the moves to lower an enemies tension he becomes pretty easy. I think one of them you get from upping Angelo's charisma.

I was playing some of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. But I really wasn't into it after a few hours and decided to shelve the game for now. Perhaps I'll go back to it at a later date.

Since then I've started Etrian Odyssey IV. Heard many great things about this series and it did not disappoint. Can't believe I've passed up on these games until now. I've only completely the first major dungeon, but I've been having a blast. The game is seriously rewarding in a big way. I'll be keeping my eye on sales so I can try to pick up the rest of the games on the cheap.

_Ryo_

Just beat DQ builders and finished playing Chrono trigger with my SO for their first time. They loved Robo as much as I did. I might try and finish playing FF 9 next(only ever got to the second disc).

If you can get one of the moves to lower an enemies tension he becomes pretty easy. I think one of them you get from upping Angelo's charisma.

Yeah, unfortunately I think Angelo's charisma is at 0... And I'm hesitant to use any skill seeds cause they're so damn rare.

Thing is, Angelo and Hero both have Falcan Slash, which when phyched up 20 can with Oomph do about 1200 hp damage for Angelo and Hero 1700 damage, and the boss has about 9,300 HP. If I could make it through just a few turns that arrg matey bastard would be finished, alas, he kills Angelo and Jessica on his first attack.

I'm at level ~33 for all characters.

Kenai

Gonna finish up DQ7 (love the game but it sure does take awhile) and then mayyyybe have enough time for SMT Final before Pokemon Sun comes out. Maybe.

I honestly didn't know Double Fine did those games. I might check them out, though I was looking for something a bit darker maybe?

Any of the SMTs are a bit spooky. Maybe Nocturne or Final? There's Tokai Watch too but that isn't really dark

Fou-Lu

I've been thinking lately, what good JRPGs exist that I haven't already played or am considering playing? (I do this every once and a while but always miss games or someone brings stuff up I've never heard of).

Here's a list of games and series I've either played or started playing already:
Final Fantasy Series (Still need to play some spinoffs)
Lunar Series (Finished Silver Star, started Eternal Blue and plan on going back to it)
Kiseki Series (Played TiTS FC and SC but plan on playing everything I can)
Mother Series (Played all three, love all three)
Dragon Quest Series (Completed 1, 2 and 5, but played quite a bit of others. Plan on finishin more of them)
Suikoden Series (Finished 1 and 2, bought 3 but haven't played it yet, but plan to)
Shining Series (Played the ones worth playing except Force 3 which I do plan on playing. I've given up on playing it on a real Saturn as mine keep dying on me)
Shin Megami Tensei Series (Played quite a few, but there are so many to play! This series will last me a long time)
Tales Series (Finished some, have little interest in others, plan on playing a few still)
Persona Series (Played 1, 3 and 4, still plan on playing 2 and am super hyped for 5!)
Pokemon Series (Played 'em all)
Xeno Series (Played Gears, Blade and Blade X, plan on playing Saga still and have bought all three)
Phantasy Star Series (Played the online games, beat IV, played some 1, 2 and 3 but might never beat them)
Breath of Fire Series (Beaten all but Dragon Quarter which I couldn't get into as a kid, want to go back to it!)
Baten Kaitos (I haven't actually beaten it but I got to the last boss fight in the first game and lost my save file! Want to go back one day)
Shadow Hearts Series (Recently played 1 and Covenant, soooo fucking good. I plan on playing From the New World eventually.
Ys Series (Finished Oath, Ark and Origin, couldn't get into 1 and 2 but plan on playing the others)
Star Ocean Series (Played the first and the second, bought 3 and played a bit but haven't finished it. 4 is awful. 5 isn't bad and I plan to finish it but got distracted by Trails)
Quintet Trilogy (Finished Terranigma and Soul Blazer, want to play Illusion of Gaia eventually! Terranigma is the real answer to the best hidden gem JRPG of all time)
Dark Cloud 1 and 2 (I looooove these games, they are so good. I want a third so badly)
Chrono Trigger (One of the best of all time)
Chrono Cross (Equals its predecessor in its own way)
Legend of Dragoon (Pretty fun! Shadow Hearts has the same battle system but better)
Lufia 2 (Not bad. I like the dungeons a lot and the ending was surprising)
I am Setsuna (Better than I expected. I am excited for more from Tokyo RPG Factory)
Radiant Historia (Possibly the best new JRPG on the DS. The soundtrack got repetitive but I loved it!)
Okage Shadow King (So charming)
Mario RPGs (Best Mario games)

Games or series I plan on trying someday:
Mana Series (Tried Secret of Mana but only for a few minutes)
SAGA Series
Arc the Lad
Valkyrie Profile
Lost Odyssey
Wild Arms
Skies of Arcadia

What else should I look into guys?

wtd2009

Just finished mother 3. So good. It was a lot heavier than I expected, yet still found a way to make me laugh and smile often. Probably my favorite game I've played this year.

Probably going to start golden sun after finishing lufia 2 (put that on hold after getting sucked into mother 3)

Currently playing Tokyo Mirage on the Wii U. Always been a big SMT fan and recently a FE fan with Awakening. I bought this game and had an open mind about the style it took. Very different style compared to SMT3 and SMT in general. The game reminds me a lot of Persona 3/4 in terms of presentation but plays like a SMT game. I find the game to be extremely charming and Tsubasa to be pretty cute. I can see the game's story becoming cliche but I don't mind since the core gameplay is pretty damn fun. The music is also pretty good and think the pop idol concept in battle is original. Only 5-7 hours into so hoping it continues to deliver.

Just finished mother 3. So good. It was a lot heavier than I expected, yet still found a way to make me laugh and smile often. Probably my favorite game I've played this year.

Probably going to start golden sun after finishing lufia 2 (put that on hold after getting sucked into mother 3)

Recently replayed Mother 3 and the ending still gets me really emotional. One of my favorite games. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

nluckett

Oh a Level 5 kick lately.

Really really enjoying Yokai Watch 2. The little improvements over #1 really make this game sing. And then hooked up my PS3 again to make my way through Ni No Kuni. Loving it and excited that a second one is on the way.

I've been thinking lately, what good JRPGs exist that I haven't already played or am considering playing? (I do this every once and a while but always miss games or someone brings stuff up I've never heard of).

Digimon Cyber sleuth
It's strategy but Disagaea 1-5
Megaman Battle network

wtd2009

Oh a Level 5 kick lately.

Really really enjoying Yokai Watch 2. The little improvements over #1 really make this game sing. And then hooked up my PS3 again to make my way through Ni No Kuni. Loving it and excited that a second one is on the way.
It's one of my favorite ps3 jrpgs. Glad youre liking it! Nice avatar, just finished mother 3 for the first time :)

Do you not own a PS3?? Because you are missing like the top 3 JRPGs on the system. Ni No Kuni, NieR, and Valkyria Chronicles.

The first two are getting a sequel and the last one will have a spin off. I think now is a good time to jump in.

Labadal

Here's a list of games and series I've either played or started playing already:
Final Fantasy Series (Still need to play some spinoffs)
Lunar Series (Finished Silver Star, started Eternal Blue and plan on going back to it)
Kiseki Series (Played TiTS FC and SC but plan on playing everything I can)
Mother Series (Played all three, love all three)
Dragon Quest Series (Completed 1, 2 and 5, but played quite a bit of others. Plan on finishin more of them)
Suikoden Series (Finished 1 and 2, bought 3 but haven't played it yet, but plan to)
Shining Series (Played the ones worth playing except Force 3 which I do plan on playing. I've given up on playing it on a real Saturn as mine keep dying on me)
Shin Megami Tensei Series (Played quite a few, but there are so many to play! This series will last me a long time)
Tales Series (Finished some, have little interest in others, plan on playing a few still)
Persona Series (Played 1, 3 and 4, still plan on playing 2 and am super hyped for 5!)
Pokemon Series (Played 'em all)
Xeno Series (Played Gears, Blade and Blade X, plan on playing Saga still and have bought all three)
Phantasy Star Series (Played the online games, beat IV, played some 1, 2 and 3 but might never beat them)
Breath of Fire Series (Beaten all but Dragon Quarter which I couldn't get into as a kid, want to go back to it!)
Baten Kaitos (I haven't actually beaten it but I got to the last boss fight in the first game and lost my save file! Want to go back one day)
Shadow Hearts Series (Recently played 1 and Covenant, soooo fucking good. I plan on playing From the New World eventually.
Ys Series (Finished Oath, Ark and Origin, couldn't get into 1 and 2 but plan on playing the others)
Star Ocean Series (Played the first and the second, bought 3 and played a bit but haven't finished it. 4 is awful. 5 isn't bad and I plan to finish it but got distracted by Trails)
Quintet Trilogy (Finished Terranigma and Soul Blazer, want to play Illusion of Gaia eventually! Terranigma is the real answer to the best hidden gem JRPG of all time)
Dark Cloud 1 and 2 (I looooove these games, they are so good. I want a third so badly)
Chrono Trigger (One of the best of all time)
Chrono Cross (Equals its predecessor in its own way)
Legend of Dragoon (Pretty fun! Shadow Hearts has the same battle system but better)
Lufia 2 (Not bad. I like the dungeons a lot and the ending was surprising)
I am Setsuna (Better than I expected. I am excited for more from Tokyo RPG Factory)
Radiant Historia (Possibly the best new JRPG on the DS. The soundtrack got repetitive but I loved it!)
Okage Shadow King (So charming)
Mario RPGs (Best Mario games)

Games or series I plan on trying someday:
Mana Series (Tried Secret of Mana but only for a few minutes)
SAGA Series
Arc the Lad
Valkyrie Profile
Lost Odyssey
Wild Arms
Skies of Arcadia

Vagrant Story is great. Well worth your time. Suikoden 5 is slow and doesn't look great, but it's a good entry in the series. I don't know if I should count srpgs or not, but at least play Tactics Ogre.

Live A Live, Treasures of the Rudras and Bahamut Lagoon are well worth trying. Three great SNES rpgs.

The Last Remnant is another fun game. Turn-based battles with a different take on the formula. It's a love it or hate it game.

Nier and Ni No Kuni are also worth checking out. Both games are better than the sum of their parts.

There's more, but these will do for now.

Fou-Lu

Ni No Kuni, NieR.

Nier and Ni No Kuni are also worth checking out. Both games are better than the sum of their parts.

I knew I missed some things! I've played both of these as well. There others you mentioned are games to look into though. The Last Remnant and Valkyria Chronicles are both games I own on steam that have just never gotten around to playing but should add to my list. Treasure of the Rudras looks super interesting and has a translation patch.

I'm 11 hrs into SMT 1 playing on my iPad. I love the whole SMT series, but never made it through SMT 1 very far any other time I played it. For some reason this time it's working for me and I'm loving the game a lot. Demon Negotiation is just as wonky and crazy as ever. I have SMT 2 queued up and ready to go whenever I finish SMT 1. Assuming I can finish it before Sun and Moon come out.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Beat Suikoden 5! Did a lot of grinding for cash to get my characters up to speed, but having a long slog through the final dungeon where you have to switch between 3 parties, followed by a duel and a final boss fight, with no saving in between, was a pain.

Final boss killed me once and I got scared I lost 3 hours of progress. But luckily you can continue from the battle you died on, so I beat it the second time. As typical for a Suikoden, the game is easy for the most part but the final boss is a resource drain and takes a while.

But yeah that's the last game in my Suikoden series playthrough, until the PSP one gets fan translated (one day). I liked the game overall but there were a few niggling issues that soured me a bit, issues that could have been corrected with ease (i.e. less encounters, more save points, much less obtuse character recruiting)

Now to concentrate more on DQ Builders, Exist Archive, DQ7 3DS...

Top Bottom