• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

I knew I missed some things! I've played both of these as well. There others you mentioned are games to look into though. The Last Remnant and Valkyria Chronicles are both games I own on steam that have just never gotten around to playing but should add to my list. Treasure of the Rudras looks super interesting and has a translation patch.

I recommend trying to locate Pandora's Tower. It's probably the best Love story in a JRPG.

Z3M0G

Dragon Quest Builders!

My GOTY, I'm sure! Actually my GF is playing and I'm watching. :p She loves both Minecraft and Animal Crossing so this game is digital crack for her!

I'm personally enjoying all the throw-backs to the first Dragon Warrior game... or perhaps all past games, I only played the first ones on NES.

Been replaying Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix on the 2.5 collection. Played it when the collection dropped and I didn't really enjoy it. I think that was because I had just played a fuckload of KH2FM immediately previous to that. Replaying it now, I have a much more positive feel for it, but my negatives still stand. Though they aren't as glaring.

Spent over 60hrs on Terra alone, only for me to drop his file because I got so sick and tired of Vanitas Remnant. Having a much better time with Ven because now I know what's worth it and what isn't (read: fuck Disney Town).

I've been thinking lately, what good JRPGs exist that I haven't already played or am considering playing? (I do this every once and a while but always miss games or someone brings stuff up I've never heard of).

If you've played so many RPGs, you've gotta give a few hours to Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden on PC. Bonafide indie classic. You'll definitely enjoy its lampooning of the genre. Bar none, the funniest writing I've come across in any video game. It also features a nifty timed-hit battle system like Paper Mario. Highest recommendation.

ar4757

I've been thinking lately, what good JRPGs exist that I haven't already played or am considering playing? (I do this every once and a while but always miss games or someone brings stuff up I've never heard of).

Here's a list of games and series I've either played or started playing already:
-Ginormous list-

What else should I look into guys?

Rune Factory 3 and 4

I'd say don't bother with 1 and 2, they got way better beginning with 3

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My friend and I have been on a Tengai Makyou kick. The other day we played Zero, a SFC side-story, and today we played Ziria (the first game) and Manjimaru (the second). The first is slow with tons of loading times, kinda clunky... but the second one is a really impressive production for the time. Redbook soundtrack, intense cutscenes, and extremely fast movement/battles. Really wish it had a translation, or any Tengai Makyou game for that matter.

We also played the PCE port of Popful Mail, which is weird... the story, level design and enemies are all identical to the Sega CD version (the one I'm familiar with and most American gamers would be, since it's the only one to get a US release) but the sprites are a lot smaller and you run into enemies to damage them, Ys style.

Taruranto

My friend and I have been on a Tengai Makyou kick. The other day we played Zero, a SFC side-story, and today we played Ziria (the first game) and Manjimaru (the second). The first is slow with tons of loading times, kinda clunky... but the second one is a really impressive production for the time. Redbook soundtrack, intense cutscenes, and extremely fast movement/battles. Really wish it had a translation, or any Tengai Makyou game for that matter.

We also played the PCE port of Popful Mail, which is weird... the story, level design and enemies are all identical to the Sega CD version (the one I'm familiar with and most American gamers would be, since it's the only one to get a US release) but the sprites are a lot smaller and you run into enemies to damage them, Ys style.

You playing in Japanese?
Last time I checked Ao no Tengai was the only (fan) translated, I wouldn't mind trying more of the series personally.

Labadal

I'm in some watery tunnels in Digital Devil Saga. I really like the game, but sometimes the dialog is a bit strange. There is also the rare occurrences when you gt back attacked 6 times in a row and you want to punch the TV.

Putting a lot of points in strength. Some points in magic and very few points in vitality and agility. I haven't touched luck. I use luck noise for that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I got Dragon Quest VII from Gamefly. It already had a save file about eight hours in on it and loaded it up...

Wow I am glad I decided to try before buying. That combat system is... Yeah, there's nothing to it. Compared to Bravely Second, it makes it look like DQ isn't even trying at making the combat interesting or fun.

I understand that people are playing the game for the sense of adventure and story, but wow the few minutes I spent with the game, the music reminds me of lullaby music you put babies to sleep with, and the combat looks about as engaging as a Facebook "click here and watch" game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Dragon Quest IV (DS). I loved I, II and III, so I keep on playing them in order. Surprisingly, I'm having a lot of fun with the Torneko chapter.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got Dragon Quest VII from Gamefly. It already had a save file about eight hours in on it and loaded it up...

Wow I am glad I decided to try before buying. That combat system is... Yeah, there's nothing to it. Compared to Bravely Second, it makes it look like DQ isn't even trying at making the combat interesting or fun.

I understand that people are playing the game for the sense of adventure and story, but wow the few minutes I spent with the game, the music reminds me of lullaby music you put babies to sleep with, and the combat looks about as engaging as a Facebook "click here and watch" game.
I thought the game sucked but not cause of its battle system. At only 8 hours in that save file wouldn't have gotten to the point where Vocations are available. On the other hand that point is another 10+ hours away soooo you'd die of boredom long before hitting that point! An the game loses its sense of adventure the minute ya realize ya gotta do the exact same town/dungeon ya just completed immediately after you've completed it but under the guise of 'em being in a different time period.

Fou-Lu

I've been playing World of Final Fantasy and Grandia 2.

Enjoying both quite a bit. Hope I manage to finish them before FFXV somehow.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm about 8 hours into DQ VII for 3DS. My first time playing it. Enjoying it very much

... What is it exactly you enjoy about the game? I mean I love slow JRPGs with lots of world building, Trails in the Sky is one of my favorite JRPGs.

But like I posted earlier, I see nothing redeeming in DQVII, I don't understand the praise for the game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Toss together a list, you never know right?
Okays! I'll do it now that I'm just about down ta 2 games left. If I'd stop dying so much I'd be done with Battle Network 2 by now lol. Not counting PKMN GB/GBC/GBA games cause either their batteries are dead or I dun wanna reset my saves!

• Played during past 52 game challenges
.hack//Link - technically should be replaying this since a new patch is out. however with the promise of v0.3.1 dropping jan 1st shouldn't I just wait on that?
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - got an played this just last year!
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - liked it but shouldn't I play the sequel first before replaying this?
Fire Emblem: Awakening - did this last year to. not in a rush for another run.
Phantasy Star Universe - never again!
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus - I would so totally
Phantasy Star Portable - cheese these with my
Phantasy Star Portable 2 - high level character on
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity the base difficulty lol
Project X Zone - another I did last year, plus I did PXZ2 this year~

• Not played during past 52 game challenges
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - could prolly go for another round of this.
Dragon Quest VIII - already did DQ 4/5/6/7 this year but otoh coming off 2 70+ hour games. plus if I gots even the slightest interest in the 3ds port would now really be a good time ta replay the original?
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster - I mean I tried starting this last year but man that battle speed. I couldn't keep up. not saying I have or wanna give up!
Mega Man Battle Network 3 White - never gotten outta the early game cause chip farming sux.
Phantasy Star Online - vanilla DC ver. do I even have vmu space ta make a new save? idk
POKéMON Colosseum - not sure I got the mem card space ta start a new game?
POKéMON XD: Gale of Darkness - see: above! plus these games make me sleepy...
Shining Force Neo - no. never again.
Suikoden III - tried once, twice, three times? way to slow an way to many random difficulty spikes.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - never gonna play the sequel so no reason ta revisit this. plus I did the behemoths that were CS/CS2 this year!
Xenosaga Ep.1 - this was a game. I forced myself ta play all the way through. once.

For the millionth time digimonstory cyber sleuth and i WILL buckle down and finish it dammit.
After that i have trails SC
Cold steel I and II
And SMTIV:A

Copper

World of Final Fantasy. I'm really enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. The art and comedy both take a little bit to get used to. But once you get past that you have a very charming cozy Jrpg. Some things I like about this game:

Fast forward button - This is somthing I wish more games had. Being able to speed up animations make battles much less of a drag.

Ability to change and unlock new battle themes - Whenever I get tired of a theme I just swap it out for another. Keeps battles feeling fresh. Which all the remixes are great anyways.

Intresting Optional content - The interventions actually expand the story a lot and are fun to see play out. The coliseum is also intresting because you can unlock new mirages for battle.

In only about half way though the main story ( I think) but highly recommend it to anyone looking for somthing. Especially with XV coming up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm juggling between World of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest VII.

Dragon Quest VII - This game is huge, like it's the biggest "traditional" JRPG that I've encountered.

World of Final Fantasy - In the end chapter now. It's a fun game, but the game will be even longer if I attempt for the plat.

Resonance of Fate. I got stuck a few years back on my first playthrough so I'm trying again. I didn't customize my guns well enough so once I hit a certain point I couldn't do shit to any enemy. I'm definitely not making the same mistake again. I really love the episodic feel of the game; it really feels like an anime. I also love the way you can customize the characters' appearances, and the combat itself is very unique and fun.

Decided to try Tokyo Mirage Sessions and I'm very much enjoying it. I'm 7 hrs in right at the start of Chapter 2 and it's far better than my impressions of it would have suggested.

It's not what I thought a "SMT X Fire Emblem" game would have looked like, but for what it is, a console JRPG, it's great.

Hopefully it will tide me over until Pokemon Sun and Moon come out.

Playing more Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Really like this game. But man the music is bad. About 9 hours in and its getting a bit more interesting. Hopefully they make a series out of this but it seems like they have made 2 or 3 games since, all in a different style :(

Started Pokemon Y in Japanese in an attempt to improve my basic reading skills... but its pretty boring and I hate the way the cast speaks in it, so I've been button mashing past it lol. shame on me.

Hoping to finish Dragon Quest Heroes too. Near the end but man this game is a slog. I love warriors games, and the basics of the combat are great, but the stages are small and the objectives of just fight these waves every mission is boring. Few notable fights or stages despite nailing the visuals, audio, and abilities.

Sarek

Playing FF XIII for the first time, and I think it is actually pretty good! The look of the game is still really impressive, and the musics complements that look really well. FF13 still probably looks better than many of the low budget JRPGs being released on PS4 these days. In general I've always loved the technomagic setting Final Fantasy games often have, and FF13 fits that bill perfectly. The combat is a nice take on the old ATB system, and looks really impressive in action. Only thing I don't like about the combat is that even some trash fights can take a long time, and bosses over 10 minutes easily.

At the beginning I was making sure I read every datalog entry to keep track of things since I had heard the story was hard to follow, but stopped doing that at some point and seem to be able to follow the story fine anyway. At the beginning the fal'Cie, l'Cie, Pulse, etc. is definitely confusing, but once you learn what those things mean there doesn't seem to be much else weird words to learn. The party members are also likeable enough though rather cliché. At the very least I'm interested in finding out what happens to them next, which can't be said about every RPG story.

Things that I don't like so far are the "crafting" system you use to upgrade items. The xp bonus thing is just seems like a tool for making strategy guides sell better, and the game would be better off without it. The crystarium is ok I guess, but it forces you to level all characters in quite similar way. I know thar probably the biggest complaint about this game was its linearity, but that doesn't really bother me. I've never been a big fan of open world games anyway so that probably helps here. Either I'm happy progressing through the linear corridors fighting fun battles and waiting to see where the story goes next.

MoonFrog

Finished DQ III (iOS) a couple days ago so no longer playing any JRPGs (sadly). Not sure where I'm going to go next; might not get to play any this coming month (it is going to be disgustingly busy between grading and doing my own writing, reading, etc.). I'll probably play a little Pokemon over Thanksgiving, just to get it started because my sister really wants to start them, but that'll probably be it until the holidays come around. Then...idk. I still have Nocturne lying around to play. TitS too. And Thracia 776.

Finished DQ III (iOS) a couple days ago so no longer playing any JRPGs (sadly). Not sure where I'm going to go next; might not get to play any this coming month (it is going to be disgustingly busy between grading and doing my own writing, reading, etc.). I'll probably play a little Pokemon over Thanksgiving, just to get it started because my sister really wants to start them, but that'll probably be it until the holidays come around. Then...idk. I still have Nocturne lying around to play. TitS too. And Thracia 776.
Thracia 776 is definitely worth a play through

Bailed on Ven's story in Birth by Sleep at Light's Lessons. Less out of frustration and more just that I tired of his play style. Started Aqua's campaign. I love starting a new story each time because the early game is so much more fun than the late game. The things I disliked about BbS are starting to really rear their heads now.

I think after I finish this I'm going to replay the first game. Or pick another JRPG in a similar subgenere

I'm trying to get past the second mission in Omega Quintet and..It just ain't happening. My mind is already mush from 45 minutes of it. I kind of wanted to get Fairy Fencer F: Dark Advent but it's really putting me off of that.

IpsoFacto

I'm currently playing Atelier Sophie: Alchemist of the Mysterious Book.

I've finished the main quest and I'm just doing most of the side stuff (like requests, getting all the recipes, maxing out all the characters, maxing out their gear, getting into the secret dungeon and fighting all the optional bosses via rumours).

I kinda enjoyed this JRPG. It was actually refreshing to play a game in this genre that was a slice of life kind of story. It's clearly more about talking with all the characters around town, learning secrets, having episodic story arcs and getting to know everyone in Kristchen Bell (the town that acts as a hub world).
One thing that I found remarkably odd was that lvl. 20 is maximum level and after that any experience that you get is for assigning points to each character's specific abilities. It's a problem when you have lvl 20 characters and most of the tougher enemies are lvl 25 or more. So tinkering with weapons and armor through alchemy is a clever way to work around this handicap.

Naeval

Playing Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls . It is not the best game I know (it is bad balanced), but I love the characters.

Awaiting Persona 5. And having time to finish Trails of Cold Steel 1-2.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Started playing Xanadu Next this weekend, just beat the spider boss... pretty addicting game, even if it's a bit clunkier than the Ys series.

jonno394

I'm on what I believe to be the final boss of Final Fantasy X
Jecht in Aeon form
but his second form kicked my ass. Really glad I gave this another go after all these years, just hope I have the patience to sit through a 3-4 minute cutscene before the boss battle each time I retry to beat this guy!

ImboSlice

Finished SMT4 yesterday. LOVED it. Really surprised with it's game design. Felt somewhat fresh. Preordered Apocalypse instantly.

Threw in Yo-kai Watch now. Phew, quite a change of tone. Not 100% in the mood right now for a game like this, but I want to get is off my backlog and I need to bridge the time till Sun/Moon release anyways.

ultra7k

Just started Cold Steel 2 last week. Even though it's only been a couple months since I beat Cold Steel 1, I forgot how fast time goes while playing this game.

So good.

Fou-Lu

I think I might be enjoying Grandia 2 even more than I did as a kid! Sure I won't be running around with a toy sword screaming "TENSEIKEN SLASH!" but... I understand the gameplay mechanics and the story much better this time and appreciate a lot of the little things more. It has an amazing battle system, a good soundtrack, solid party banter (especially during 'spend the night' moments), really cool looking areas and towns, and is pretty damn dark.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
All done with MM Battle Network 2! The internet is a series... of mazes.

Now the final 2 rpgs of the year for me will be ???. More thinkin' time!

Andrew J.

I've been playing Dragon Quest V, recently got to the marriage decision. Picked Debora because

-I've heard she has the most character development over the course of the game
-She's got the funniest party talk lines
-She's a later addition to the game, which has an inherent appeal

And definitely not because she has the biggest bust, how dare you.

dcassell

Banned
I just beat SMT IV last week, and am now jumping right into Apocalypse. Magic doesn't feel as broken in this one as it did in IV (I dump 3 magic, one ag, one luck every level), but I'm starting to feel that satisfying snowball effect now that my character is getting the second-level magics (Bufula, zanma, etc). Such a great game so far. I love the dungeon design in this one a lot more than I did in IV, where a few have been constructed with shortcuts that remind me of the Souls games. I also appreciate the slightly brighter tone compared to IV, which was uncomfortably dire at points (not that I mind it, but it's a nice change of pace).

After this, straight into FF XV!

Square2015

On the final boss in Parasite Eve 2 (frustrated, he's tough, died 3-4x now)
Also on the final boss in Dragon Quest V PS2 (difficulty seems higher versus the SNES version).
And the final boss in The Bouncer (geez he's tough).

Edit: just beat PE2, with the good ending!

On the final boss in Parasite Eve 2 (frustrated, he's tough, died 3-4x now)

I broke a controller on the final boss of PE2. Got so frustrated that I threw the controller up in the air and on its way down I punched it. It flew into a wall and shattered. I was playing on a PS3 so the controller was wireless.

squall211

Playing World of Final Fantasy.

If there's time I'll go back to Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold before the behemoth that is Final Fantasy XV hits.

Top Bottom