• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

ironmang

Persona 4 Golden

Bought it a couple years ago but just getting around to it now. Liking it so far but knowing I'm only 3 months in after having a playtime of nearly 25 hours makes me think I may have trouble finishing it. I like it but 100 hours is a heavy commitment lol.

Purchased both Persona 2 games for playing on my Vita. Just finished up through
Cuss High
in Innocent Sin. Very much enjoying the story so far. I've been talking to NPCs and the supporting cast in optional conversations as much as I can, which actually reveals a lot of important character building dialogue, so I'm glad I chose to. The combat has been both extremely easy (even on hard mode) and extremely slow. Not a great combo.

JBwB

Persona 3 FES. 65 hours logged so far

I'm pleasantly surprised at how much more challenging it is compared to P4, P4G & P5. It's quite fun figuring out how to take down the mini bosses in Tartarus.

ohlawd

Does that mean you don't enjoy the game...? Why are you playing then?

because the social links keeps me hooked and it's enough to push me through the game. same thing happened with Persona 3 and 4. I gotta wade through the parts I don't like, s'all good. I mean, I'm in the camp that firmly believes most games are shit and there are one or two things that redeems them.

Taruranto

Purchased both Persona 2 games for playing on my Vita. Just finished up through
Cuss High
in Innocent Sin. Very much enjoying the story so far. I've been talking to NPCs and the supporting cast in optional conversations as much as I can, which actually reveals a lot of important character building dialogue, so I'm glad I chose to. The combat has been both extremely easy (even on hard mode) and extremely slow. Not a great combo.

Innocent Sin was never an hard game, but PSP version is even easier IIRC, if you are playing that. EP is a bit harder, but nothing to write home about. You can enable animation skipping to make it go faster (Except PS1 IS).

Rmagnus

Banned
Currently playing Disgaea 5 on the switch, last one I play was disgaea 3 on PS3. Still love the wacky humour but it's always tough to start a Disgaea game.

The blue Vita looks so nice! I wish I had bought one while they were still available in Canada. D:

They are fairly well available here in Japan sorta :p though admittedly when I went to buy my vita I wanted the last orange one I had my eye on for months, the day I went to get it, it was gone. I like my blue one though, got a matching case too! Not usually into bright colors but its different and I like it.

A couple of hours into Chrono Cross. Really digging it.

Secretly the best Chrono game. Haters be damned.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Still chugging away at Persona 5, just finished dungeon 5 and made it to October. About 75h in so far.

Oh god is the Mementos music awful though. That off key organ lead that reminds me of a bad Theo Parrish or backpacker hip-hop song.

Got too many games on the go and was going to wait until Tokyo Xanadu for another big JRPG but started up Atelier Shallie Plus today, one of the two in the series I haven't played.

It's pleasant. Not Ayesha-tier yet, but I'm getting Opoona vibes which is always good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got too many games on the go and was going to wait until Tokyo Xanadu for another big JRPG but started up Atelier Shallie Plus today, one of the two in the series I haven't played.

It's pleasant. Not Ayesha-tier yet, but I'm getting Opoona vibes which is always good.

I gotta play Opoona - I know the game got treated like a bit of a joke around some parts but it looks charming as hell. How did you like it?

Just guessing, but probably because of the tons of shit they throw at you from the start.

Such as?

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but I've never played a Disgaea game before (but kind of want to get Disgaea 5 once i have a system that can play it) so am unfamiliar with what the concern is.

mindatlarge

Finished Persona 4 Golden about a week ago and started playing through Xenogears for the first time since I was a kid. Damn fine JRPG. Better than I remember.

GeekyDad

Such as?

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but I've never played a Disgaea game before (but kind of want to get Disgaea 5 once i have a system that can play it) so am unfamiliar with what the concern is.

They throw a lot of systems at you, tutorials and such, right from the start. Probably the most complex SRPG series around, and most of it is explained and covered from the beginning, rather than easing a little bit as the story progresses. It's a lot...but it's also worth it. Just tends to be a long start, not to mention all the silly banter.

Disgaea 5 (my first Disgaea game...). It's quite intimidating, the stories/characters are horrific (apart from the Prinnys) but I'm really, really enjoying it. So many systems! I'm still getting to grips with it but it's really satisfying to learn.

Plus the 'Moving On' music in the base is just, maaaaaaaan.

GeekyDad

*gulp* even if you start with Disgaea 1?

Yeah, I would say so. But don't be intimidated. The characters are so ridiculous and cute, they definitely help to take the edge off. Actually, if I recall, the first one didn't do as good a job explaining all of the different NPC/merchants/etc., but yeah, it too has a fairly lengthy and complicated set of tutorials. Again, though, the Disgaea games are doing some really cool things no other SRPGs do. It's also broken in the very best way.

Opa-Pa

Honestly, the mechanics aren't complicated at all, it's just that Disgaea games basically have an initial tutorial episode where they teach you all of them back to back. The games are quite beginner friendly despite how deep they can get mechanically, don't feel intimidated.

Fou-Lu

I still have a lot of JRPGs to get through, but it's starting to freak me out that I can see the end of my JRPG backlog in sight. What will I do when I have no good JRPGs to play anymore?

Aters

I still have a lot of JRPGs to get through, but it's starting to freak me out that I can see the end of my JRPG backlog in sight. What will I do when I have no good JRPGs to play anymore?

write about the jrpgs you played! what's your favorite? what are the hidden gems?

So I've got both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey on Xbox One with all dlcs for both. A few months ago I took a day and started them both for the first time to get a taste of each and see what I wanted to play through first. At that time I kinda felt like I liked Blue Dragon more. Just seemed more fun. Then a few months went by and last week I realized I had the time coming up to fully play through one. So I started reading all kinds of comparisons between the two online and consensus seemed to be Lost Odyssey is better.

So I start Lost Odyssey last night. It's pretty good. Just left the first town. But it's also got all the things I hate about jrpgs. Nonsensical armor. Somewhat androgynous male lead. The girl who joins you in the beginning and her weird armor and super high pitched voice and child like I'm-trying-really-hard-to-be-cute-so-teens-will-call-me-waifu mannerisms and way of speaking.

I think I'm going to go back and start Blue Dragon. I'm sure Lost Odyssey has great gameplay but I can't imagine those characters changing even 100 hours in. Blue Dragons art style I think mitigates most of it.

And it feels so much like a modern Chrono Trigger.

Yeah, Blue Dragon it is.

GeekyDad

I gotta play Opoona - I know the game got treated like a bit of a joke around some parts but it looks charming as hell. How did you like it?

Wanna get to it as well. Got it for my son on Wii a long while back. It looked cute as hell, and the music was really, really good. I thought it got really overlooked, but I didn't realized folks thought it was a "joke." Don't think my son ever finished it, but he really loved the game while he played it. Just got involved in other things.

Ennosuke

55 hours into Persona 5. I reached November now. Currently I feel a little bit tired of the story. I feel like there needs to be a plot twist soon to keep me invested. Of course I am going to finish it, but according to howlongtobeat it should take me another 35 hours.

kromeo

Ebenezer said:
I think I'm going to go back and start Blue Dragon. I'm sure Lost Odyssey has great gameplay but I can't imagine those characters changing even 100 hours in. Blue Dragons art style I think mitigates most of it.

And it feels so much like a modern Chrono Trigger.

Yeah, Blue Dragon it is.

It feels more Digimon than Chrono Trigger. It's alright, a solid 7/10 game

Fbh

30 hours into Persona 5.

Really liking it so far. The better dungeons are making me enjoy this way more than P4.
The dialog can get a bit tiring at times though. They really like to comment on everything and repeat the same things. 30 hours in and they are still constantly like "do you think that what we did worked? We are doing the right thing, right?".
But aside from that awesome game.

CheckMate

40 hours into Persona 5 for the past 3 weeks. It feels surreal that I actually committed that much time to game, but it's also not that surprising consider I am enjoying it immensely like the pervious two titles. Kinda gives me a sad realistic perspective of what to expect of JRPGs that never hocked me and currently sitting in my backlog.

I'm at the fourth section of the game and am somewhat burned cause the repetition is real. The story, while great so far, had never really rewarded me with answers to any of the questions which kinda killed the pace for me personally.

I am eyeing to go back to Xenoblade Chronicles as my next big JRPG but the combat is such a mess that I really don't like the feeling where I have to brute force and grind my way through the game.

c1d

Just finished up Cosmic Star Heroine (heroine) and Trails in the Sky the 3rd (nightmare).

Absolutely loved the battle system in Cosmic Star, heroine was pretty well-balanced until the end when you become OP i.e. the final boss went down in a couple turns. Main gripe was the story - I would've like there to be half the number of characters with twice the character development. The Chrono/Phantasy Star influence was strong, didn't get much Suikoden though. Pretty solid game all-round - I hope Zeboyd get a few more sales!

Trails 3rd was pretty great in general. The battle system really shone in nightmare as the major fights felt tough but do-able (unlike SC prologue). Having the lore-based doors were a massive asset in my opinion, as anyone playing the game is already invested in the world. The main narrative was quite strong, although pretty end-loaded (as per most trails games). Felt like a better end to the arc than SC in my opinion (although I'm one of those weirdos that prefers FC to SC).

I am eyeing to go back to Xenoblade Chronicles as my next big JRPG but the combat is such a mess that I really don't like the feeling where I have to brute force and grind my way through the game.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way - I've tried to get into Xenoblade a few times now but the battle system really puts me off (just feels random with very limited strategy involved).

CheckMate

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way - I've tried to get into Xenoblade a few times now but the battle system really puts me off (just feels random with very limited strategy involved).

The entire Monado move-sets are layers of restrictions of how you can hit, stagger, or critic Mechons later on in the game. It's just one of those times where I wish the combat would've benefited by being more streamlined.

Deja

Just finished my first ever Dragon Quest (VII) and loved every second of it. I know some people find it slow but I actually enjoyed the pacing, except for how long it takes to get into the first battle. The story for me was great, with how it all intertwined solved some of the mysteries of the world.

Currently making my way through I am Setsuna on my Switch, and am loving it thus far. It's very simple and quite easy but I like the setting a lot. Shoutout to basically taking the FFX storyline!

Sinople

I assume you don't read Japanese. Have you take a look at what's been fan translated? There's a whole lot of good RPG never officially localized; maybe not on the level of FF/DQ/BoF but still worth a try

If by chance you can read Japanese, have you played/are you planning to play, off the top of my head : Herakles no Eikyo, Metal Max, Tenshi no Uta, Shoji Masuda's games (Linda3, Tengai Makyo 2, Oreshika 1, etc.), Lennus, (Dai)Kaiju Monogatari, Popolocrois/Poporogue, Momotaro Densetsu, ONI, Silva Saga, Burai, Zavas, Black Matrix, Growlanser, Langrisser, G.O.D, Energy Breaker, Madara, Wachen Röder or Sansara Naga?
I've been playing mainly JRPG for the last 25 years and I still discover good entries I've never heard about before on a regular basis, to the point I actually feel overwhelmed.

Fou-Lu

write about the jrpgs you played! what's your favorite? what are the hidden gems?

I have definitely considered either writing about them or making a youtube/twitch JRPG channel. It's a bit daunting to consider, but I think I would really enjoy it in the long run.

I assume you don't read Japanese. Have you take a look at what's been fan translated? There's a whole lot of good RPG never officially localized; maybe not on the level of FF/DQ/BoF but still worth a try

If by chance you can read Japanese, have you played/are you planning to play, off the top of my head : Herakles no Eikyo, Metal Max, Tenshi no Uta, Shoji Masuda's games (Linda3, Tengai Makyo 2, Oreshika 1, etc.), Lennus, (Dai)Kaiju Monogatari, Popolocrois/Poporogue, Momotaro Densetsu, ONI, Silva Saga, Burai, Zavas, Black Matrix, Growlanser, Langrisser, G.O.D, Energy Breaker, Madara, Wachen Röder or Sansara Naga?
I've been playing mainly JRPG for the last 25 years and I still discover good entries I've never heard about before on a regular basis, to the point I actually feel overwhelmed.

I've played some fan translated games (noteably Mother 3), but I am always on the lookout for more. I want to give some of the earlier Glory of Heracles games a try for an example. My Japanese is limited to playing games as simple as Pokemon that only uses kana, and even that was a slog when I attempted it. I wouldn't mind trying to improve through playing JRPGs though! Thanks for the list of potential Japanese games.

ohlawd

finally finished Persona 5. 85 hours to beat, I fucked up.

oh well. gonna work on clearing up Fire Emblem: Echoes and start up Lost Odyssey

_Ryo_

So I cant beat the Final Boss,
Rapthrorne
again in DQVIII in order to get the true ending I'm at least 3+ levels Higher than the first time with either same or stronger equipment. I gave up tryng to do the
dragonian trials post content. I beat thrle first and second forms, I think.
I took a big break and have been gone from playng for quite a while so I am extremely rusty. I just wanna beat it for real so I can get baco to the other games Ive also put on hold for months.

Any tips for this? Lol PS2 version.~lvl 43

kevin1025

Banned
Finally started Xenoblade Chronicles, and now I'm three hours in. Really liking it so far, and I'm going to be spending my summer playing through it and Ni No Kuni (I was 18 hours into that one and then stopped way back when). I forgot what it's like to be three hours into a game and a lot of the systems still aren't even in play yet, haha.

Top Bottom