• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm doing backlogs now, namely Dragon Quest Heroes II and Super Mario RPG.

Any tips for The Great Divide?

Bitanator

Just finished my first ever Dragon Quest (VII) and loved every second of it. I know some people find it slow but I actually enjoyed the pacing, except for how long it takes to get into the first battle. The story for me was great, with how it all intertwined solved some of the mysteries of the world.

You another VII convert!

I'm torn between SMT Nocturne, Persona 5, or Paper Mario. I'm probably leaning for paper mario cuz i'm importing DQ XI and want something more light

Loving my time with Wild Arms 2, despite not loving the game itself. It does not do anything particularly well, the towns, characters, battles and what not are nothing special either but getting through a classic rpg is a great change of pace.

My only gripe is the amount of dungeons just being puzzle walk ways relying on either one or a handful of gimmicks including the terrible work your way through this section several times to unlock the main. I mean they are all different but man I just want a normal get through this dungeon, fight these baddies, beat a boss.

Translation is all over the place too but it has been fun while it lasted, think I can have this beat in a week or so. The story going from this thing is a threat in disc one, beating it, then having this thing is bad, to this thing is bad, to this thing is bad, on disc 2 is pretty weak. 0 motivation or sense of a threat or where it really came from in most of them.

Also fighting the "Kuiper Belt" as the current enemy is making my head spin. Was not explained well, and makes no sense lol.

GeekyDad

Finally breaking open Fire Emblem Echoes. Yeesh...I'm not usually a critic of voice acting, but the stuff in the beginning is pretty cringe-worthy.

Inotti

What is the general consensus on I Am Setsuna?

I finished it last sunday and liked it. It feels like PS1 era jrpg in a good way. Gameplay is good, story and characters are pretty basic but enjoyable enough.

If you die in a boss battle you need to load from you last save and have to click through all the dialogue leading to that boss battle. That was annoying as hell though.

Szadek

Bravely Second
Since my 3DS is still working, I will keep playing until it breaks.
Anyway, tunrs out sometime to best party for a boss are just 4 tanks or 4 spellcaster.
Coming up with unusually party set ups to beat certain boss is often very rewarding, especially on hard mode.

Side quests have a improved quite a bit from the first game.
Having to decied between which job to unlock is also often a very hard.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I assume you don't read Japanese. Have you take a look at what's been fan translated? There's a whole lot of good RPG never officially localized; maybe not on the level of FF/DQ/BoF but still worth a try

If by chance you can read Japanese, have you played/are you planning to play, off the top of my head : Herakles no Eikyo, Metal Max, Tenshi no Uta, Shoji Masuda's games (Linda3, Tengai Makyo 2, Oreshika 1, etc.), Lennus, (Dai)Kaiju Monogatari, Popolocrois/Poporogue, Momotaro Densetsu, ONI, Silva Saga, Burai, Zavas, Black Matrix, Growlanser, Langrisser, G.O.D, Energy Breaker, Madara, Wachen Röder or Sansara Naga?
I've been playing mainly JRPG for the last 25 years and I still discover good entries I've never heard about before on a regular basis, to the point I actually feel overwhelmed.

Dude, you have some seriously good taste. Linda 3, Tengai Makyou Manjimaru, Metal Max, Langrisser, Tenshi no Uta... good shit right there. Wish we got fan translations for a lot of them though. I'm hoping I can get in good with some of my coworkers at this new job I got and have them come over to translate all these obscure import RPGS I've amassed over the years. :p

As for me, I'm about to finish the cruise ship in P5. About 95h in. Seems I'm nearing the end, and my weekend is pretty clear so hopefully I can finish it up. Got 4 days off for the 4th, so I'm gonna use that time to break into Trails 3.

VRMN

Just finishing up SMTIV. Ordered Apocalypse to follow with; it's enjoyable but...

I think save anywhere and the utter lack of punishment for death made it mostly a cakewalk once you got past the opening hours and had an actual stock of demons. Fusion changes and many perks available to you also trivalized a lot. The story was interesting if not exceptional, really hurt by not having a lot of characters worth noting.

Isabeau was the most interesting of the lot, but she was sidelined for the second half of the game and only comes back
as a brief (if tough) fight in the ending sequence. I'm assuming she's your partner in the Neutral ending, but I have to NG+ for that.
Somehow got a save that will let me immediately take Law on literally the last choice, after having gotten Chaos on my first run, but Neutral isn't in my grasp.

So yeah. Some great moments, but really not difficult. Reminded me of Persona 4 and 5 in that manner.

Opa-Pa

Just finishing up SMTIV. Ordered Apocalypse to follow with; it's enjoyable but...

I think save anywhere and the utter lack of punishment for death made it mostly a cakewalk once you got past the opening hours and had an actual stock of demons. Fusion changes and many perks available to you also trivalized a lot. The story was interesting if not exceptional, really hurt by not having a lot of characters worth noting.

Isabeau was the most interesting of the lot, but she was sidelined for the second half of the game and only comes back
as a brief (if tough) fight in the ending sequence. I'm assuming she's your partner in the Neutral ending, but I have to NG+ for that.
Somehow got a save that will let me immediately take Law on literally the last choice, after having gotten Chaos on my first run, but Neutral isn't in my grasp.

So yeah. Some great moments, but really not difficult. Reminded me of Persona 4 and 5 in that manner.

SMT4's difficulty balance is all over the place, and there's a bunch of systems on top of it preventing it from offering a decent challenge, it's a shame.

I suggest you start Apocalypse on Hard (War), the game's much better balanced while still being fair, but overall is a decent enough challenge even with stuff like save anywhere still being there.

Isabeau also gets some much more interesting focus there, so you'll probably enjoy it more.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I finished Shining Soul II and had a darn fun time playing through it! Now I'm down to FF7 and Atelier Sophie. Strong resisting urges to get FF PSP and Ever Oasis until I'm done at least with Sophie >.>;

They throw a lot of systems at you, tutorials and such, right from the start. Probably the most complex SRPG series around, and most of it is explained and covered from the beginning, rather than easing a little bit as the story progresses. It's a lot...but it's also worth it. Just tends to be a long start, not to mention all the silly banter.

https://youtu.be/CSW9t4UGMw4
This guy sums it up pretty well. Obviously he's biased toward liking it but he explains why it's overwhelming and how that's a bit of the charm.

Thank you both for the answers! Just watched the video and yeah, my head is spinning a little lol. No wonder it's so overwhelming...

None after Persona 5.

I feel fucking empty.

Someone help.

Maybe Ni No Kuni? I never played that.

Ni No Kuni is quite fun and charming. It'll also get you ready for the sequel when that comes out later this year...

Bravely Second
Since my 3DS is still working, I will keep playing until it breaks.
Anyway, tunrs out sometime to best party for a boss are just 4 tanks or 4 spellcaster.
Coming up with unusually party set ups to beat certain boss is often very rewarding, especially on hard mode.

Side quests have a improved quite a bit from the first game.
Having to decied between which job to unlock is also often a very hard.

Nice! Just finished that on Monday and quite enjoyed it. How far are you?

Yeah choosing through jobs is quite difficult. There were several points where I could use 3 or even 4 at the same time per character.

Have started my first run on ni no kuni. Was in the mood for clearing the backlog and thought I would give it a chance. Only beaten one boss and on the save point before the second boss fight I presume. All in all a good game and hope it carries me through the month of June.

I went to a local shop and bought a copy of the English version of Tokyo Xanadu! Been playing the first chapter, and right now I'm digging the game style, it reminds me of Persona and to a small degree Mana Khemia :D

Apparently there's no OT yet? Why? :/

cucuchu

Playing through Lost Odyssey now via XB1 BC. Damn good game! I'm about 28 hours in, probably half way through disk 3. Probably pretty dumb for me to pick a 60-100 hour game (from what I read) when I'm actively TRYING to knock out my backlog but I have zero regrets...its well worth the time and good fun!

Also starting up on the Ys series too. I just bought Ys Chronicles on the vita so I'll be starting that up today as well.

Shifty1897

Finishing up Act 4 of Fire Emblem Echoes. The game is starting to drag for me. Going to try to power through and finish my Casual/Hard run in the next week. After that, it's back to Persona 5. I already have 53 hours in so far, hopefully will finish by the end of July.

I went to a local shop and bought a copy of the English version of Tokyo Xanadu! Been playing the first chapter, and right now I'm digging the game style, it reminds me of Persona and to a small degree Mana Khemia :D

Apparently there's no OT yet? Why? :/

Because it's not out till next week you lucky soandso.

Lothar

Banned
Playing Nier Automata and it just keeps getting better and better. I'm on my way to the third ending and that last hour was definitely the best yet. (For people that don't play Nier games, they're nowhere near over when you get the first ending.)

I hope there's no one that hasn't played a Nier game and has no intentions of trying it. Because they're among the best the genre has to offer.

Voliko

I am playing Etrian Odyssey III. I am on the 8th floor right now.

I have played EO I and EO II. This game has been the best of the bunch so far. I like the sea-side setting. The music is on point, as always. I like how they made all new classes rather than adding onto the old ones.

There are a lot of little things that make this one better than the last two. Camps to allow some healing in the labyrinth, talking to people in the bar to learn about how to attack certain enemies to get their special drops, the game actually telling you when you hit an enemies weakness once you get the Zodiac's Singularity skill, auto pilot, etc.

Skills themselves seem like they had more thought put into them. They way certain classes interact with each other is very fun to consider when building your skill tree and party. The sea-faring mode is a nice little change of pace from the usual grind in the dungeon.

My biggest gripe with these games, and dungeon crawlers in general, is how long they are. I really like the game, but it is too much of a time sink. Most impressions condemn the difficulty of DRPGs, but what would be the point if they were easy?

The look of the dungeons is almost always super boring. Although the layouts of a traditional JRPG are less interesting, the artistry makes up for it in those games.

cSVLljj.jpg

Finished Wild Arms 2.

Was great to play a old school jrpg. Really scratched that itch. Was a good game for my morning and afternoon commute too.

Did not do all the extra stuff and just did to the end. Easy game, not terribly complex, and the writing is all over the place. Enjoyable but not anything memorable for me either.

Now for my next handheld choice... Thinking Fire Emblem Awakening to keep my back and forth between Vita and 3DS going.

Now to focus on Nier Automata!

purpleturtle

Neo Member
Finished Persona 5 about a week ago. Was toying with the idea of a 2nd playthrough of I Am Setsuna (this time on Switch) because I was in the mood for something more light & simplistic, but in the end I grabbed my 3DS and bought Dragon Quest VIII.

zoodoo

Finished Soul Blazers on snes. A real gem, I really enjoyed the simplicity of the game. Only the bosses were kinda though until you learn their pattern.

Next is Lufia. I've never played that series and I have heard good things about it.

zoodoo

I am really liking Lufia.
I had to grind a bit but I am ok now. Just got Lufia to join the party. I'll be having fun with this game. I am playing old snes rpgs while Horizon and dark souls 3 are sitting on the shelf. I think I was overdue for some retro gaming.

GeekyDad

Just started the new (ish) FE Echoes. It's fine so far, but it's just still hard to let go of Tactics Ogre. I get into these games sometimes that are just so hard to move on from...

Started playing Fire Emblem Awakening again. Turns out I stopped on Chapter 8. Would you guys say the DLC for money, and experience points are worth it? I'm still in the beginning but in a game with so many characters I really just want to max everyone in one run lol.

Really like the characters so far and the general art style.

ohlawd

ehhhhh the exp DLC is pretty good at the beginning and falls off after your units have promoted iirc

eventually the best xp (at least, what I did) is the DLC map that gives out the skill Paragon since that map has a billion enemies and you get 8 xp minimum per kill.

no problems with the money DLC. again, from what I remember

ehhhhh the exp DLC is pretty good at the beginning and falls off after your units have promoted iirc

eventually the best xp (at least, what I did) is the DLC map that gives out the skill Paragon since that map has a billion enemies and you get 8 xp minimum per kill.

no problems with the money DLC. again, from what I remember

Mmm thanks for the info. I might consider getting Lost Bloodlines 3 and the money one. Not sure what money is good for just yet but everyone says its worth it.

About what level/chapter would this dlc be doable, not point in buying it before I can even beat it I assume.

You're in for good times. I wish the game would never end.

Yeah I dig the main story but the side events are a bit too grindy for my blood. Namely the things like "do x, 3 times" like the race thing. Wish stuff like that was a one and done personally.

Lothar

Banned
Yeah I dig the main story but the side events are a bit too grindy for my blood. Namely the things like "do x, 3 times" like the race thing. Wish stuff like that was a one and done personally.

Well you don't have to do that. I did the race one time, lost, and decided I did not want to do that anymore. I didn't even know there are 3 races. But for the people that enjoy the race, I guess that's cool that there's 3 races.

Making my way through Persona 5 right now, and man the game is fantastic. I absolutely love the soundtrack, presentation, gameplay, art style, soundtrack, and story. It's so much fun, and I really like how it both lulls you into a rhythm, whilst also keeping things interesting and forcing you to stay on your toes. I especially like how everything has meaning and even something small can make you level up or help you somewhere, so you always feel like you're making progress somewhere, even if it's hard to figure out how best to balance your time.

ohlawd

Mmm thanks for the info. I might consider getting Lost Bloodlines 3 and the money one. Not sure what money is good for just yet but everyone says its worth it.

About what level/chapter would this dlc be doable, not point in buying it before I can even beat it I assume.

I think it's perfectly doable at chapter 4 which is the earliest you can access the DLC anyway. nice and easy way to train up your bench or new characters. I think you'll see worthwhile exp gains up until you've promoted a character once (or twice, forgot). at that point it's quantity over quality hence doing Lost Bloodlines 3 or other DLC with a bunch of weak enemies.

money's used to upgrade your weapons. there's this skill called Armsthrift that makes it so weapons have a chance of not degrading based on their double their luck stat. units with this skill are the best candidates for upgraded weapons

there's also Infinite Regalia that throws out weapons with unique effects. I remember the enemies being hard though

there are also two DLC for optional classes. up to you if they're worth it. these classes have base class exp gain with promoted class stat growth
Lost Bloodlines 2 for Dread Fighter Scroll (tomes, axes, swords)
Smash Brethren 2 for Wedding Bouquet (lance, bows, staves; your waifu wears a wedding dress, what's not to love)
Lost Bloodlines 3 for Paragon. yeah, you already know this one. Paragon is a skill that doubles exp gain. guaranteed 8 levels if one unit kills all 50 enemies since one enemy unit killed is 16 exp minimum with Paragon; 16 x 50 = 800 exp

extra stuff
Rogues and Redeemers 3 for Limit Break. all stat caps are raised to another +10 so like if a character maxes out at 35 Str normally, equipping them with LB raises the cap to 45 but you still have to level them up to get there. you won't lose stats if you unequip LB though. you'll get 45 Str back when you equip it again

Future Past for more story stuff. doesn't offer any benefits like the other DLC. does have a nice story if you're looking for that.

Apotheosis has the hardest map in the game. definitely postgame material.

Top Bottom