• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Soriku

My favourite city in baten kaitos is Wazn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAbYe3gdxA

dat music. dat atmosphere.

hnnngh.

speaking of gamecube games. I still have paper mario ttyd on limbo, and I have yet to play skies of arcadia (don't have it, but it's still ridiculously expensive.)

Get on TTYD. It's the best Mario. Fuck Mario Galaxy.
OK they're both good too...the second one mainly though, but TTYD is way better.

I'm guessing you talking about the huge twist I've heard about?

I should play this game one day.

Well we're talking about Origins, the one you heard about was the first one (Eternal Wings). Both have major plot twists though.

Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story.- So quirky, and so loveable. Epitome of cute, and charming.

Xenoblade. - Love this one too, but IT. JUST. WON'T. END. I don't mean that in the sense that it drags or outstays it's welcome, but fuck my backlog just weeps while waiting.

Soriku

I forgot what the twist was.
Someone spoiler tag for me. it has been years

In Eternal Wiings? MAJOR SPOILERS OH GOD
Kalas, the main character, betrays your party.
Shieeeeet.

In Origins? There are a couple.
Malpercio, the evil god in the first game, was composed of five people that were granted dark powers. Also, Sagi isn't really a Spiriter, he's a Maledeiter and the spirit he had was Marno, a piece of Malpercio. Also, Verus betrays you at the very end.
Shieeeeeeeet.

Necrovex

Not really a JRPG, but I am plowing through Skyward Sword. After finishing that, I am either going to start on Xenoblade of the first Baten Kaitos. Hard decision.

Jay Sosa

www.gamefaqs.com

You'll never need to buy a guide.

Sheeeeit I almost read your origins spoiler when quoting your post (haven't played it yet, only the first one)

But anyway..you know what I mean, doesn't matter If I have to buy the guide or play while reading gamefaqs ('d never do that anyway, especially not on my first playthrough, that would completely ruin the experience). The game should at least hint at something like that, not saying that I want clear instruction, that would be just as lame.

But let's not dwell on that topic any longer, like you said isn't that big issue anyway if you're not suffering from gaming OCD like me. And it certainly wasn't as bad as Suikoden 2 in that regard.

Soriku

Not really a JRPG, but I am plowing through Skyward Sword. After finishing that, I am either going to start on Xenoblade of the first Baten Kaitos. Hard decision.

Xenoblade is better but also potentially much longer (could spend 100+ hours on it easily if you do most/all sidequests). The first Baten Kaitos is worse, still good but not nearly as good as Xenoblade (or Baten Kaitos Origins), but it's shorter (like 50-60 hours).

Sheeeeit I almost read your origins spoiler when quoting your post (haven't played it yet, only the first one)

But anyway..you know what I mean, doesn't matter If I have to buy the guide or play while reading gamefaqs ('d never do that anyway, especially not on my first playthrough, that would completely ruin the experience). The game should at least hint at something like that, not saying that I want clear instruction, that would be just as lame.

But let's not dwell on that topic any longer, like you said isn't that big issue anyway if you're not suffering from gaming OCD like me. And it certainly wasn't as bad as Suikoden 2 in that regard.

I see. Small things like the Kalpa deadline are still worth looking up but your choice. But if you have gaming OCD (like me), a guide/FAQ is practically necessary :x

Also the other guy didn't really spoil anything of Origins. But don't read my post right above :x

P90

Have a couple going, Disgea 3, Soul Hackers, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Third playthrough for FE:A.

Just started Xenoblade Chronicles and it is excellent!

I'm playing Disgaea and Persona on the Vita off and on: love them, but when I put them down for a day or two, that sometimes turns into a month before I pick them up again. On the up side, they've been amusing me off and on since they were released.

Jay Sosa

I see. Small things like the Kalpa deadline are still worth looking up but your choice. But if you have gaming OCD (like me), a guide/FAQ is practically necessary :x

I know, I know. And if the JRPG drought continues I'll have more than enough time to replay Nocturne anyway.

Necrovex

Xenoblade is better but also potentially much longer (could spend 100+ hours on it easily if you do most/all sidequests). The first Baten Kaitos is worse, still good but not nearly as good as Xenoblade (or Baten Kaitos Origins), but it's shorter (like 50-60 ).

I am quite interested in the superior BKO. But I have to play the first one beforehand! Which of the two games are more of the Xenosaga style (super heavy story)?

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
lol. I remember that, and well, that's the only part of the game like that barring some sidequests.

Don't stop now. You're VERY VERY close to when thing start getting good :)

www.gamefaqs.com

You'll never need to buy a guide.

Yeah well, it's a shame it takes that long before it gets good. Don't get me wrong, the story so far isn't bad, and the characters are nice, but it's nothing exceptional either.
Everything before (and including) the Azha segment was pretty nice, but afterwards it gets a little stale IMO.

Would you happen to know approximately how many hours I have left before I finish the game?

Soriku

I am quite interested in the superior BKO. But I have to play the first one beforehand! Which of the two games are more of the Xenosaga style (super heavy story)?

Umm...neither lol. Xenosaga is sorta one of a kind. If you want a story more similar to Xenosaga, Xenoblade is the way to go (it's not nearly as complex though) but there's a much bigger focus on the gameplay in Xenoblade than Xenosaga despite that. Near the end there's a lot of story though.

Baten Kaitos is pretty different from Xenosaga. Big story focus but also big on gameplay.

Yeah well, it's a shame it takes that long before it gets good. Don't get me wrong, the story so far isn't bad, and the characters are nice, but it's nothing exceptional either.
Everything before (and including) the Azha segment was pretty nice, but afterwards it gets a little stale IMO.

Would you happen to know approximately how many hours I have left before I finish the game?

No idea. I think you still have quite a while to go but I think you're done with most of the story (at least past half).

isual

Have a couple going, Disgea 3, Soul Hackers, and Fire Emblem: Awakening. Third playthrough for FE:A.

disgea 3 is good. I have all 4, but 3's the only one where I got quite a bit of the classes to ranked up to their best iterations.

Philia

After I finish Legend of Dragoon, I'm going to fire up my Wii and plow through my small backlog on it. Skyward Sword being one of them.

You probably should start with BK Origins first. Xenoblade took me 260 hours to complete (achievements and records 100%) and even if you're not gunning for 100%, it can take you well over 70 hours. BKO is at least slightly less than that, and it has fantastic music!

I had to think about this. Xenoblade is quite simple "save the world" for like 75% of the way... rest is just too spoilery. BKO DEFINITELY has a lot of neat twists here and there but big ones are always at the near end or the last boss lol (and Xenoblade had this applied too).

And I see you haven't played the first one yet... I'd dare say that the first one is sort of instrumental of how GOOD BKO is in terms of plot relevance... so I should suggest you to go through BK:EW first anyway. That battle music is just sublime in that game. <3333333

Teknoman

I have the same sentiments as you regarding jrpgs. I want something different now. Preferable you play as the bad guy and destroy the world instead of the cliche'd young teen and goes to save the world story

shin_megami_tensei_nocturne3-550x.jpg

Yuterald

Unfortunately, not many RPGs can compete with Nocturne. It's unfair to compare it to such other plebeian RPGs. Games like Ni-no-kuni wishes it had a breeding/monster raising system as sophisticated and intelligent as Nocturne. It's in a class of its own, imo.

Lucent

I'm vexxed that dark arisen does not have a stand alone dlc version.

'Cuz Capcpom.

Also, playing Ni no Kuni. Trying to, anyway. Just doesn't pull me the way games like Lunar and Earthbound did. I wanted to talk to every NPC in those games because they had something fun to say. I seriously started to avoid talking to people in Ni no Kuni after so many hours.

Philia

Unfortunately, not many RPGs can compete with Nocturne. It's unfair to compare it to such other plebeian RPGs. Games like Ni-no-kuni wishes it had a breeding/monster raising system as sophisticated and intelligent as Nocturne. It's in a class of its own, imo.

Yeah... I feel compelled to just to save the best for the last. SMT series being one of those. :D I still got a ton of rpgs to catch up before I'll ever tackle those.

Necrovex

Try Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Radiant Historia, Infinite Space, Suikoden. Maybe Dark Cloud 2.

Xenosaga is a game that Kojima would be proud of. Man, I really wish more games were like Xenosaga.

After all the feedbacks, I am going to plow through Eternal Wings.

Jathaine

I'm vexxed that dark arisen does not have a stand alone dlc version.

Same. I haven't bought it yet.
I did get to play some but I'm sure I'll be importing again because in the mean time I've bumped my character up to 200 and gotten pretty much maxed out for the vanilla game.

When DA's price drops down to something akin to a DLC, I'll actually grab it.

isual

Try Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Radiant Historia, Infinite Space, Suikoden. Maybe Dark Cloud 2.

Edit: Or any of the SMT series really.

Already beat xenosaga 1-3, all 3 shadow hearts, all the suikodens, and both dark cloud 2. Even DDS1 and 2, P3FES, and 4. I've got Raidou 1 and 2 but they're both on backlog.
Don't have a 3ds, but will buy it one in the near future.

Saw radiant historia and infinite space; what's the appeal at all ?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Already beat xenosaga 1-3, all 3 shadow hearts, all the suikodens, and both dark cloud 2. Even DDS1 and 2, P3FES, and 4. I've got Raidou 1 and 2 but they're both on backlog.

Infinite Space will piss you off to no end with the crew vs crew battles since its punch to the dick rock paper scissors.

Radiant Historia is a bit more enjoyable due to the story.

Teknoman

beat that a long time ago.

You might have a void for awhile then...unless IV tops it. I still need to play Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 myself.

Yeah even other games under the SMT umbrella dont compare (DDS1+2 came close for me).

apricot

Working my way through Crimson Shroud right now. Way to many JRPGs in my backlog, but recently I always end up putting them down after a few hours :/

Soriku

Play the Raidou games, especially 2.

Radiant Historia is great in every way. Great and capable protagonist (not a young teen), good war story involving time travel, excellent soundtrack, fun battles. The game has pretty good reception here on GAF and elsewhere. I'm sure you'd like it.

Infinite Space has mediocre gameplay IMO, but YMMV. However, it's a really good space opera story and the characters are very good as well. If you can tolerate the gameplay, you should like the story.

Gambit61

I'm slowly making my way through Lost Odyssey. The thousand year memories so far have lived up to all the praise I've seen everyone give them.

xBuTcHeRx

Tales of Graces f I finished. took me about 30 hours in-game time to beat. I liked it, the music was beautiful in that game.

isual

I'm slowly making my way through Lost Odyssey. The thousand year memories so far have lived up to all the praise I've seen everyone give them.

superb game. 1000g that including the dlc.

Play the Raidou games, especially 2.

Radiant Historia is great in every way. Great and capable protagonist (not a young teen), good war story involving time travel, excellent soundtrack, fun battles. The game has pretty good reception here on GAF and elsewhere. I'm sure you'd like it.

Infinite Space has mediocre gameplay IMO, but YMMV. However, it's a really good space opera story and the characters are very good as well. If you can tolerate the gameplay, you should like the story.

Not sure if I want to drop more money on ds backlogs. I've still got ff3, smt strange, DQ6 and pokemon black 2 and soul silver to beat

Arthea

Just finished White Knight Chronicles this weekend.
This game could have been good, instead they made it online grinding fest.
I liked idea of building my city, and crafting and even world+music. It's a pity that everything else is redundant.

Now I'm playing
Atelier Ayesha
Okami HD (not really an RPG)
Catherine (same as Okami, no RPG)

still have to play of this gen
WKC II
Ar tonelico Qoga
Trinity Universe
Neptunia mk2
Disgaea 3 and 4
both Agarest War games
couple of Ys games
many indie (J)RPGs

and that's not all! Still need to play some old recently translated games (by fans).

Aeana

I decided I'm gonna do all of the Wild ARMs games (maybe even XF, but probably not ACF unless I feel like it later). I just got access to the outer sea in Wild ARMs 1, so that's going well. By my estimates I'm a bit over halfway done, but it's been a while.

Sagitario

jXlKQhkHdg59C_e.jpg

I got Soul Hackers today, but I am not sure if I should start it because I have such a big backlog (Ni No Kuni, EOIV, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Persona 4, Persona 3, SMT: Strange Journey, SMT: Nocturne, Valkyrie Profile 2, among others... list is huge :\)

Arthea

I decided I'm gonna do all of the Wild ARMs games (maybe even XF, but probably not ACF unless I feel like it later). I just got access to the outer sea in Wild ARMs 1, so that's going well. By my estimates I'm a bit over halfway done, but it's been a while.

Wild ARMs games are great. I haven't played XF yet, but other games I enjoyed a lot. WA5 had some problems, and one of them prevented me from finishing game, unfortunately, even then you are for a fountains of fun. Especially if you like setting, which I liked. The Hex System (in later games) is genius!

isual

wild arms series is superb. I can't wait for wild arms 6!
wild arms 5 was a bit of a letdown since it was short, but the game world was superb.

Radius

Currently Final Fantasy 3 (about 90% done) on Vita and Tales of Graces f (about 25% I suppose) - enjoying both though grinding is becoming a bit dull in FF3. Always feels nice to decrease one's backlog...

FaceDa

Banned
I was going to buy EO4, but with SMT 4 (sorta) around the corner I think I'll wait.

Right now I'm playing through the iOS version of Final Fantasy 5, which I'll be playing again when the Four Job Fiesta starts.

wild arms 5 was a bit of a letdown since it was short, but the game world was superb.

They were giving away the first Wild Arms on PSN. I tried to play it. Early 3D was rouuuugh, it's criminally ugly and slow and the translation made no sense. I think the 2nd one even had untranslated Japanese text strings left in there.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I'm playing through Tales of Rebirth. It's pretty good, especially the battle system. The story is so-so, but I'm not expecting much.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Did they ever talk about the future of the series? Haven't heard anything about Wild Arms since the release of the 5th, which was even advertised as an anniversary game.
At least Media.Vision still exists (they seem to be mostly doing Shining and Chaos Ring games).

Soriku

superb game. 1000g that including the dlc.

Not sure if I want to drop more money on ds backlogs. I've still got ff3, smt strange, DQ6 and pokemon black 2 and soul silver to beat

Get RH at least...definitely worth it. Probably my second favorite DS game after TWEWY.

WA6 isn't coming mang :( I don't know what you mean with WA5 being short btw. How long did it take you to beat it? I spent 90 hours on it and I didn't think it was short at all. The story itself had to be like at least 40 hours.

The world was definitely excellent. One of the best JRPG worlds for sure.

Top Bottom