• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Just finished Contact on the DS, pretty neat little JRPG, abut rough around the edges and really could have done with some fine tuning. Glad I played but don't want to go back to it any time soon, wouldn't mind seeing a sequel on the 3DS or something. Am really tempted to move onto Shin Megani Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers next

jackal27

Banned
Currently playing Etrian Odyssey 4, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Super Mario RPG, and Vagrant Story! Having a great time with all four!

Also, all you guys who imported Bravely Default better buy it when it hits the west! I really want this game to sell well.

Currently replaying Chrono Trigger on DS. I played this on my SNES several times, but never the PS1 remake. Enjoying this rendition so far.

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 3 and the SNES version of Emerald Dragon. Both are very enjoyable. After I finish them it's Earthbound's, Baten Kaitos Origins' and possibly Devil Survivor's turn. Then Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario. And Mario & Luigi 1, 2 and 3. Then the DS remakes of Dragon Quest 4, 5 and 6.

So, yeah, I'm pretty much set for a while.

Smilax

Currently playing Final Fantasy XIII. This is the first time I ever played it, and so far, it's not that bad. Well, I don't think it's that bad. I'm around chapter 4 I believe.

Ra1den

Just restarted Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, never finished it when I played it like 10+ years ago. Having completed Innocent Sin thanks to the fan translation, I'm ready for it again. Will likely take me at least half a year to beat it though considering how little time I spend gaming lately.

Currently playing Final Fantasy XIII. This is the first time I ever played it, and so far, it's not that bad. Well, I don't think it's that bad. I'm around chapter 4 I believe.

It's a fine game, other than the (lack of) level design. Glad you are going into it with an open mind...I loved it.

daveo42

Banned
Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS right now. I also have games of SMT: Nocturne and P3: FES going, but I haven't really touched them in a while.

shin_megami_tensei__strange_journey_amerique.jpg

I'm in the shopping center-like area atm.

iirc that's where i'm to also. Haven't played in a year though, I should finish it some time. So many unfinished RPG's on my DS- this, EOI as above, EOII which I picked up after finishing III but haven't started, Dark Spire i'm up on the 6th floor I think. arggg..

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I thought someone would say that. But it's Ultros so I had to say Xenoblade :p

Anyway, Xenoblade doesn't touch Xenosaga for example but it's still an above average JRPG story and better than many of them (cue people answering, "that's not saying much").

if Xenoblade is merely above average, what would you recommend someone play after they finish it?

I haven't played many JRPGs to completion but I have a feeling after Xenoblade that may change..

Labadal

On PSP, I went back to my abandoned playthrough of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I'm at chapter 2. Currently, I have three characters in my party, doing all the side quests I can before moving on with the main story.

On Nintendo 3DS, I'm switching between Tales of the Abyss 3D and Fire Emblem: Awakening. This makes for good vareity in gameplay.

On PS3, I'm going to finish Yakuza 4 and I'd call Okami a light rpg.

I'm not playing a jrpg on Xbox 360, but I will once I complete Divinity 2. Blue Dragon is just sitting there, waiting for me to play it.

aravuus

Right now Dark Souls if it counts, next up some PS3 jrpgs if I've missed some in the past few years, gonna get the console in a few weeks. I need new JRPGs in my veins

Exentryk

Finished NieR yesterday. Wonderful experience. That soundtrack...
SeuHD.gif

8.5/10

Need another action JRPG now. Any suggestions? =/

Inotti

I'm also playing Final Fantasy XIII for the first time. I think the story is ok so far and the battles are ok too but the world is too linear and narrow. Still I'm having quite fun with it. I'm about 12h in the game and have no idea about chapters. :p

Exentryk

Another NieR playthrough to get ending B, then there are endings C and D.

Definitely play it again if it was your first playthrough, else you're gonna miss some good stuff

Yeah, I read Kaine's backstory at the start of the second playthrough, and stopped after that. Saw the rest of NG+ extras including cut-scenes and ending B, C and D on youtube.

ThankeeSai

Still playing Xenoblade (my first ever jrpg).

Have put around 70 or so hours into it so far and absolutely love it. Great story and cut scenes, love the battle system, too.

Not had chance to play for a week or so tbh...Really must get back into it.

Terra

Xenoblade here too. Is about 30 hours in, but haven't played it for a year. Trying to get back into it...but cannot remember stuff.

I'm trying to decide right now what I want to play.
The answer is always Mario Tennis (GBC) milady.

Also, I'm playing the fantastic "JRPG" that is Fire Emblem Awakening and I've got Radiant Historia waiting in the wings for the holidays!
Terra said:
Xenoblade here too. Is about 30 hours in, but haven't played it for a year. Trying to get back into it...but cannot remember stuff.
The answer is always BLOSSOM DANCE milady.

Jucksalbe

Banned

I should probably focus more on one game. Actually I've mostly played Super Metroid in the last few days, but I'm still playing Black Rock Shooter on the side (in the middle of the 4th stage currently). The others I've been playing on and off from time to time. I'm playing PSII from the collection.

wizzbang

Banned
I own Ni No Kuni but I purchased it due to hype I guess, the animation and just wanting a nice story / ghibliness.
The reality is, I actually kind of can't stand JRPG's - the repetitive nature of the gameplay, the grind, it kind of drives me insane. It feels like the kind of gameplay would be great to kill a weekend on if I was 13->25 or so with a lot, lot more free time.

I don't mind long games, hell I put 60 hours into Okami and loved about 85% of it (got long in the end) but I dunno. Brad Shoemakers comments on Ni No Kuni on the bombcast and some forum posts kind of scared me into reality "under the surface, this is a JRPG at heart"

So, I'm playing no JRPGS. I literally haven't played the game at all - but I will force myself to play it once my expectations mentally dampen down to much lower levels. (I did the same for Uncharted 3 and quite enjoyed it)

ranmafan

In anticipation of getting Shin Megami Tensei IV later this week, I've been getting ready by playing some shin megami tensei strange journey. Fun game!

Gloam

The SFC remake of DQ1, always enjoy going through this every so often, I like the intimacy of it. It's really you against the world. I'm dipping back into DQX a little with the new patch. A bit aimless at the moment but having fun with the four-person dungeons.

I'm also trying to finish up Ni No Kuni, but it ain't going so well, just not feeling it.

aravuus

Going through Xenosaga II again.

I really want to play the trilogy again, I really like the gameplay and the (premise of) the story is so good but Shion single-handedly ruins everything. She's annoying as it is, but the decisions she makes, especially concerning Kevin... Urgh agh ughhhhhhhh

Koren

Disgaea 4

256px-Disgaea_4.jpg

Started last november. I'm a bit LTTP, but I need some time between episodes, considering the hundreds of hours spent in those games.

Aiming for a "perfect team" is pretty stupid, since I kill easily anything in-game including 8x Prinny X in LoC, but I'm still doing it each time. Besides "perfect" characters, I also have quite stupidly effective weapons/armors (including mode-changer-traps (immunity to ATK/INT on even/odd turns), hand-shaker-traps (can't miss), etc.) since I farmed unique innocents in r40 items by using mystery innocents.

Completely stupid and pointless. I know.

DSix

Banned
I recently finished Alcahest. I'm really surprised that this game never got officially translated. A SNES action-arcade-RPG by Squaresoft and HAL Laboratories, that's big, and the game is indeed awesome.

593x464xalcahest.png.pagespeed.ic.Jvf91Ys65p.png

.hack//Link for me. Although I finished every last story related thing the other day. Theres still a few things left I'm trying to determine that even jp wikis fail ta site. Notes to be taken and stuff ta be tested cause my .hack anniversary threads not done for yet. I just need alil more time an preparing an junk!

Man, every time someone brings up .hack I remember I still need to play GU vol. 2 and 3.

I'm playing front mission 5. It's a sprg but since people listed fire emblem I figure it's fair game. After that, maybe a psp game.

Maybe I'll get back to "Song of the Ocean" in the eiyuu densetsu series. The first 2 in the gagharv trilogy are kinda like lunar but I find it very hard to stay engaged with the games. Luckily they are short. I'm playing them in Japanese so I don't have to deal with the changes made the to NA version. Kinda went on a buying spree before leaving Japan and got the 6 that were out at the time (gagvarv trilogy and trails in the skies trilogy) So far it's been painful to get to the supposedly good trails in the skies ones. If they are not remarkably better, I am dropping the series. Curse you Aeana for making think they were good.

StuBurns

Banned
This thread finally got me to fire Ni no Kuni back up. I'd only played the opening four hours at launch, then got side tracked, it's nice to dive back in. It's still not very good, but it's charming, and extremely pretty.

For all the criticism I've given it, FFXIII is still the best console Command-RPG this generation for me.

Banned
None :(

I have all FF's on PSN that I got back in February during the 50% off sale. FF Origins is just too old to get into. I don't have a PSP and sold my Vita so I can't play FFIV or FFV. I'm thinking of finishing my FFVII file, then going to FFVI, then play VIII and IX before FF X HD comes out. Then playing Tales of Xillia in the summer.

This thread finally got me to fire Ni no Kuni back up. I'd only played the opening four hours at launch, then got side tracked, it's nice to dive back in. It's still not very good, but it's charming, and extremely pretty.

For all the criticism I've given it, FFXIII is still the best console Command-RPG this generation for me.

Mashing the X button for 50 hours is pretty awesome :p

Torraz

Neptunia.jpg

Hyperdimension neptunia

Decently fun so far. Very reliant on its (admittedly) funny writing.

Hope mk 2 and V are better, though.

Top Bottom