• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of router do you use for your gaming devices?

Afrocious

I'm in the market for a new router. Haven't had a new router since 2009 or 10 and it's a wireless G.

So basically I need to upgrade.

I'm not all that versed in routers though, so any knowledge you folks can dump on me that's palpable, I'm interested.

From what I've gathered, a dual-band router might be the way to go. It also sounds good to go Wireless N or A/C.

I have 100Mbps internet via Time Warner.

For devices, I have my PS4, my PC, a Wii U I seldom use, my N3DSXL which I seldom use, a few laptops (between myself and roommate), roommate's personal Roku, and our phones

I'd been looking at this particular router for a while: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mcrommert

Banned
Best consumer/prosumer router money can buy
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

EdgeRouter%20X.png~original

Afrocious

I have 100Mbps internet via Time Warner.

For devices, I have my PS4, my PC, a Wii U I seldom use, my N3DSXL which I seldom use, a few laptops (between myself and roommate), roommate's personal Roku, and our phones

Mihos

Gold Member
I use a RT-AC5300, if nothing else, it looks like an upside down spider and my wife is afraid to touch it.

Way overkill for most things, but I literally have hundreds of devices connected.

seb_n

Best consumer/prosumer router money can buy
https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

Is this an ad? Sure feels like an ad. The op specifically said he wanted wireless, and the they werent well versed in routers. why would you suggest something that most people would not find suitable and perhaps be overwhelmed by the complexity of the one you suggested.

i'm not saying it isnt a good router btw, it is, its just not at all what the op asked for.

Carn82

Asus RT-AC66U, have had it for a few years now and never had issues (that I couldn't resolve with some quick googling)

Anon67

I use the R700 Nighthawk. Great router though I disabled 5.0ghz since it preforms the same as 2.4ghz in my home.

I don't have T-Mobile unfortunately.

My mom does though. Hmm.

How would one get this router?
Easiest way is to (have your mom) call them up and ask them to send you a Personal CellSpot. They will send you a router called the TM-AC1900, which is a modified Asus RT-AC68U, which is a very capable dual band router, for $25. With mine, I get wifi speeds on the 5GHz band of around 200 Mbps, so that should be fast enough for your Internet connection.

calder

I have an Apple Airport Extreme. Good router, solid wifi for my devices but certainly overpriced, but I use a wired connection for all my consoles (excepting the PSTV) and Apple TVs. My PS4 and PC are wired into the Airport but I have a cheap 5 port hub for the other stuff... I'm not terribly concerned about packet collisions with the Apple TVs obviously. ;)

Afrocious

Easiest way is to (have your mom) call them up and ask them to send you a Personal CellSpot. They will send you a router called the TM-AC1900, which is a modified Asus RT-AC68U, which is a very capable dual band router, for $25. With mine, I get wifi speeds on the 5GHz band of around 200 Mbps, so that should be fast enough for your Internet connection.

This is a good idea. I'll try this out. Thanks!

platocplx

I have this one. RT-AC88u ( the asus routers in general are really good you could go with their 68u and have great performance)

If you have money to burn this maybe a great option. has gotten great reviews.
http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-ac88u-router/

one thing i like is how many ethernet ports it has, and other features like MU-MIMO (means you can have concurrent connections without slowing down other clients) also it has the ability for you to prioritize traffic (for streaming or gaming etc) its a pretty awesome router.

I have this one. RT-AC88u

If you have money to burn this maybe a great option. has gotten great reviews.
http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-ac88u-router/

one thing i like is how many ethernet ports it has, and other features like MU-MIMO (means you can have concurrent connections without slowing down other clients) also it has the ability for you to prioritize traffic (for streaming or gaming etc) its a pretty awesome router.
I just bought that, and it's beastly, but it seems like it'd be kind of overkill for his devices and Internet connection. The TM-AC1900 is more than capable of handling his top connection speed, even on the 2.4GHz band (in theory) for 10% of the price.

I had the R7000 Nighthawk before I moved (and when I was with Comcast).

Now I'm with Verizon FIOS and the G1100 they installed for me is pretty damn good. Haven't had a need to upgrade/replace it with my Nighthawk at all. I'm pretty impressed with the performance on both wireless and wired devices. Even have a nifty wireless repeater on a different floor that helps a ton.

What I've learned though is to make sure that the ISP itself is delivering what it's supposed to. There was a period of time I was pulling my hair our with Comcast when I thought my router and modem were messing up. Turns out the constant packet loss was Comcast's fault with the wiring they had in my apartment. Luckily my new home doesn't have issues like this... yet.

Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 for the main router connected to the internet

Asus RT-N56u w/ custom firmware to extend it over 5ghz to my in law unit from the main house.

Works great thanks to the Netgear router which is an absolute beast. It's overkill for if it's just you using it, but I needed this monster because their can be up to 20 devices connected at once over a 200 Mbs connection and the Asus was too old to keep up with all the streaming.

I went from a connection which was only good for gaming when less devices were connected to a rock steady connection with a nice steady ping regardless of how many devices are connecting and streaming. It was night and day for me and worth the $ I paid for it.

I leech the connection from the main house, so buying the router is the least I can do. I'm in an in-law unit to the side of my friend's spot that i rent out.

i have the Asus AC66U, going strong for a while now. i have my laptop, cellphone, tv, tablet, ps3 and ps4. it doesnt struggle at all

i recommend the asus ac87u though since you have more devices and probably more variable loads, fucking beast of a router i purchased two already for family with big houses and lots of devices

I use the R700 Nighthawk. Great router though I disabled 5.0ghz since it preforms the same as 2.4ghz in my home.

Same router, but I live off of AC wifi because I live in a pretty dense condo complex, and the 2.4 ghz spectrum is, as expected, regularly oversaturated.

No problems with it, I've been meaning to load up DD-WRT, just been too lazy as the router already does most of what I want it to do. Still a little on the pricey side, but it's a strong performer that even works pretty well as a media server with an external HD hooked up.

Tall Paul

ASUS DSL-AC68U which I've run 10M Cat6 into my living room to connect to a Ethernet switch, all gaming gear, sky, Amp etc is hardwired in. Great router no drop outs, signal could go a bit further but no major issues in the house.

platocplx

I just bought that, and it's beastly, but it seems like it'd be kind of overkill for his devices and Internet connection. The TM-AC1900 is more than capable of handling his top connection speed, even on the 2.4GHz band (in theory) for 10% of the price.

Yeah I was thinking the same, I have a TON of shit connected to mine so I def needed it.

I have a PS4, TV, Garage Door, Two Thermostats, Phone, Computer, two Smart lights. etc.

It maybe overkill for him. Especially at the price. I made out like a bandit for mine.

So get this crazy deal with newegg: I got a 90 dollar modem plus the router for 10 dollars less than the router by itself.

Then I sold the modem for like 80, sold my old router for 80 plus I had a 50 dollar rebate.

I got it like right when it came out and found that deal. I was extremely lucky.

OP you cant really go wrong with ASUS.

dtm808

AC nighthawk (netgear) Always have 90-100% 5ghz throughout my house. Zero drops/lag/problems. Ui very easy to use.

Yeah I was thinking the same, I have a TON of shit connected to mine so I def needed it.

I have a PS4, TV, Garage Door, Two Thermostats, Phone, Computer, two Smart lights. etc.

It maybe overkill for him. Especially at the price. I made out like a bandit for mine.

So get this crazy deal with newegg: I got a 90 dollar modem plus the router for 10 dollars less than the router by itself.

Then I sold the modem for like 80, sold my old router for 80 plus I had a 50 dollar rebate.

I got it like right when it came out and found that deal. I was extremely lucky.

OP you cant really go wrong with ASUS.
Yeah, I have tons of stuff, too, like security cameras and stuff. The TM-AC1900 actually handled it all swimmingly, so no real complaints there. My bottleneck was simply throughput; I felt the need for speed.

OP, if the TM-AC1900 is out of stock, you can also get the Asus RT-AC68U, which is the same thing. You'll just end up paying more for it.

This is what I use

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...3-0-cable-modem-multi/4483016.p?skuId=4483016

I honestly have no clue how it compares to other products but I can tell you after switching out my ISP provided modem/router for this my outgoing speeds almost doubled on average. I get way more internal speed on the 5ghz band than I will ever need or use.
Looks like that's a modem/router combo.

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah, I have tons of stuff, too, like security cameras and stuff. The TM-AC1900 actually handled it all swimmingly, so no real complaints there. My bottleneck was simply throughput; I felt the need for speed.

OP, if the TM-AC1900 is out of stock, you can also get the Asus RT-AC68U, which is the same thing. You'll just end up paying more for it.

Looks like that's a modem/router combo.

It is

I own the Archer C7
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I put OpenWRT on it so I can do streetpass homepass relay thing whenever I want extra streetpasses. Seems to work fine, on my cable connection I get pretty much 100% download speeds (96 MB/s) for big things and rarely restart my router. Just checked, its been up 97 days, probably should restart it or something.

PC, PS4, xbox one directly hooked up to it and a bunch of other stuff via WiFi. Probably the newer models (C8?) are better/faster, although I dunno if OpenWRT works on them all.

johnhandy

I use this for wireless: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

This is an access point so you still need something to assign IPs to your local network. The coverage is a bit lower than some of the other stuff out there, but I've found it to give the most stable wireless signal. It's the least troublesome access point I've used; the only time I need to reboot/power cycle it is when I have to make configuration changes.

R700 Nighthawk:

81eJtdiuKyL._SX466_.jpg

I've had it running for two years and it's never gone down once. Excellent range as well. I have a 2000 sqft two story house, and the router sits in one corner of the house on the main floor, and my gaming PC sits on the complete opposite corner on the second floor and I get full bars. It's also fast as hell, and it handles the ~15 devices I have connected to it without breaking a sweat.

RS4-

I've got the Archer c8 and 1gbps connection. Handles it just fine. No drops or connection issues on 2.4 and 5.

Wirelessly, probably have like 7-10 things connected here and there.

Unless something changes recently, I don't think wrt works on it.

Yawnny

I've heard good things about the Netduma R1 Router
https://netduma.com/order/netduma-r1-router/

I've only seen reviews on this device. It has intriguing features such as a Geo-Filter which is described by them as such: Reduce the main cause of lag by guaranteeing a host close to your home

At first it seemed to me a little gimmicky, but after reading impressions it seems there's quite a lot of good things being said about this router.

Because of the design of my house (it has metallic lined foam insulation) I end up using more wireless access points than a lot of people. I have a newer apple airport express that does the actual work of being a router plus another, older apple airport express in a different part of the house running as just a wireless access point. They work well.

Aside from the type of router you get, know that the 3DS doesn't support any of the newer protocols so you'll probably be forced to run whatever you get with support for older wireless protocols like plain old 2.4Ghz G wireless. Even if you get a dual band router I'm pretty sure this will still limit the total throughput you could achieve with newer routers. Just something to be aware of.

RoadDogg

I bought the router you posted a couple months ago OP. Works fine so far, was super simple to set up. I have to use my fios router to feed my TV and I still didn't have any issues setting this one up to only handle the Wi-Fi portion of the network.

Many reviews say it has 5 Ghz issues where it drops on and off but I haven't noticed that yet. My old smart TV isn't playing nice with the DLNA media sever in my NAS anymore for some reason, but my other devices can still access it just fine.

Top Bottom