• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of router do you use for your gaming devices?

I got an AC router but the PS4 ain't AC capable until I get the Pro.

My desktop has an AC card which gets better speeds than ethernet cable. Max 1100 mbps or more.

Laptop running on 5 Ghz N max 150 mbps.

Because of the design of my house (it has metallic lined foam insulation) I end up using more wireless access points than a lot of people. I have a newer apple airport express that does the actual work of being a router plus another, older apple airport express in a different part of the house running as just a wireless access point. They work well.

Aside from the type of router you get, know that the 3DS doesn't support any of the newer protocols so you'll probably be forced to run whatever you get with support for older wireless protocols like plain old 2.4Ghz G wireless. Even if you get a dual band router I'm pretty sure this will still limit the total throughput you could achieve with newer routers. Just something to be aware of.
Theoretically, that's what MU-MIMO is supposed to handle, but the few routers that have that are completely overkill right now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I use an ASUS RT-N56U. I think I got it in 2010, at least somewhere around that time.

Its old now but it still gets the job done.

Kumquat

tin-can-1.jpg

I had the R7000 Nighthawk before I moved (and when I was with Comcast).

Now I'm with Verizon FIOS and the G1100 they installed for me is pretty damn good. Haven't had a need to upgrade/replace it with my Nighthawk at all. I'm pretty impressed with the performance on both wireless and wired devices. Even have a nifty wireless repeater on a different floor that helps a ton.

What I've learned though is to make sure that the ISP itself is delivering what it's supposed to. There was a period of time I was pulling my hair our with Comcast when I thought my router and modem were messing up. Turns out the constant packet loss was Comcast's fault with the wiring they had in my apartment. Luckily my new home doesn't have issues like this... yet.

Which repeater do you have?

Schnozberry

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Modem/Router Combo

Pushes 350mbps on my Time Warner Cable to my wired ports, which is over the 300mbps I pay for. I get about 290mbps on the 5ghz band. Nearly 200bmps on the 2.4ghz band.

I also have a Wireless Extender for the other floor of my house. It connects over the 5ghz band and rebroadcasts over 2.5ghz. I still get 170mbps over that.

I have more internal bandwidth than I need. Overall I like the setup.

Ade

R700 Nighthawk:

81eJtdiuKyL._SX466_.jpg

I've had it running for two years and it's never gone down once. Excellent range as well. I have a 2000 sqft two story house, and the router sits in one corner of the house on the main floor, and my gaming PC sits on the complete opposite corner on the second floor and I get full bars. It's also fast as hell, and it handles the ~15 devices I have connected to it without breaking a sweat.

+1. Had it a year

Dartastic

Bumping this because I don't know whether to get an Amplifi, a nighthawk x4s, or the nighthawk that's a step down with the three antennas. Any help would be appreciated. I live in a basement with a foot of concrete between my bedroom and the router so I do need the signal to be strong, which is why I was considering the Amplifi for the mesh capabilities.

LegendX48

I actually have an Ubiquiti Edge Router X and Unifi AP (the unifi ap is for wifi) that I got from amazon but they (90% the edge router) are a colossal pain in the ass to set up. Works really well the few times I actually used wifi for gaming. Don't use wifi for gaming though, just don't. I'd recommend a powerline ethernet adapter for your PS4 if possible. I have just some regular one from Netgear that you can grab at a Best Buy and it works beautifully.

I use an ASUS RT-N56U. I think I got it in 2010, at least somewhere around that time.

Its old now but it still gets the job done.
The latest version of that router (you have it if your device has a power switch) is actually an AC router but Asus hace chosen to hide the functionality. You can enable it by installing Padavan firmware.

I'm running an ASUS RT-AC51U with Padavan firmware. Literally faultless router for me.

Here's a link to Padavan firmware
https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u

It supports the following Asus routers:
RT-AC1200HP
RT-AC51U
RT-AC54U
RT-N11P
RT-N14U
RT-N56U
RT-N56UB1 (the one with a power switch that's actually an AC router in disguise)
RT-N65U

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my router is the one provided by my ISP (virgin media uk). i don't see any reason why i should go out and buy a new one. i have my PC connected via ethernet and wireless devices connected to it are my ps4, 2 samsung smartphones, now tv box, ipad. also had a ps3/360/xbox one and nintendo 3ds connected to it.

absolutely no issues with it. again not sure why i'd want anything else. it performs just fine for me and have had no issues while playing games online.

Jacknapes

I use a TP-Link Archer C7 at home. Works a treat, have my PC and PS4 wired up to the router via a set of Network plugs. Replaced the BT Homehub last year with it, mainly because it was giving poor coverage and a really bad upload/download speed.

my router is the one provided by my ISP (virgin media uk). i don't see any reason why i should go out and buy a new one. i have my PC connected via ethernet and wireless devices connected to it are my ps4, 2 samsung smartphones, now tv box, ipad. also had a ps3/360/xbox one and nintendo 3ds connected to it.

absolutely no issues with it. again not sure why i'd want anything else. it performs just fine for me and have had no issues while playing games online.
Stick with that you've got, then.

We chose not to, for various enlightened reasons.

I use whatever Virgin(uk)gave me,think it's Super hub 3,not even sure if there's a better replacement but I never have issues

I use whatever Virgin(uk)gave me,think it's Super hub 3,not even sure if there's a better replacement but I never have issues
I replaced my one of those with a router that could cover my whole house with Wi-Fi, could share media files from an inserted USB stick, and would let me block access to certain websites and IP addresses.

DjRalford

Yeah i got a superhub 3 too, had to upgrade from the old hub when i got upgraded to 200MB, 90% of my stuff is hard wired as i have a 5 port switch in the living room and another in the bedroom connected to the hub, only things wireless are the ipad and phones, running a Cat5e network round the house years back was the best idea i ever had, and i only put a wireless extender in so the wifi reached the end of the garden and into the garage.

The old hub needed rebooting once a month or so, this ones been great though.

Polarburr

Sorry to bump an old thread.

But what do you recommend for a budget gaming router?

Current router is a DLink DIR 655. What's a good replacement? Budget is $100-150.

I'm the only one who connects to the router as its in my floor of our house. So there wont be that much connections (my ps4, my computer and probably just my philips hue bridge)

Top Bottom