• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Korean films should I watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Wrong forum, argh!

After re-watching Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and I Saw The Devil last night, I fancy watching some new Korean films but I don't know what's good. I've watched all the obvious ones:

Oldboy
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Thirst
The Host
Mother
Memories of a Murder
I Saw The Devil
A Tale of Two Sisters
The Good, The Bad and The Weird
A Bittersweet Life
I'm a Cyborg But That's Okay
Snowpiercer

... and I like pretty much all of them. So what should I watch next?

JSA is an excellent watch.

While not a Korean film, Stoker(2013), was written and directed by Chan-wook Park who was the director/writer behind all of the Vengeance films, Thirst and many others on this list. It's not amazing but it's definitely something.

I left Stoker out because it's not Korean, but yes it's amazing. I love the cinematography it's absolutely stunning. :)

I think I love it more than most people in fact, really great film.

Ninjimbo

Barking Dogs Never Bite is genuinely great stuff from Bong Joon-Ho. Check it out.

I'll also throw in a vote for The Yellow Sea (The Murderer in Korea). That movie's first hour is pretty special.

I will be watching The Chaser tonight it seems as the overwhelming favourite of the thread!

And don't forget the murderer.
A bit slow to take off, but the second half is breathtaking.
And you won't see any gun in it. Only knives! And a lot of them! Great fight, I love this movie.

good list op

The Man From Nowhere
Tabloid Truth
No Tears For The Dead
Confession OF Murder
A Company Man
The Pirates (this one is fun as fuck)
Traffickers

cant remember more but this is a good start

Some of my favourites which aren't on yourr list:
Man From Nowhere
Welcome to Dongmakgol
Three Kims
Please Teach Me English
My Sassy Girl
Veteran
Arahan
Castaway on the Moon
Attack the gas station
Two guys
Guns and Talks
Silenced
New World

Honestly there are so many fantastic Korean movies!
Also check out some K-Drama too, start with Super Rookie :p

Looks like I need to relax because out of all the suggestions in this thread the only ones I haven't seen are The Wailing and Train To Busan. ;_;

Oldboy is good, but.. brace yourself... I think it's the weakest of the trilogy.

Lady is the best, then Mr, then Oldboy I'd say.

For me it's Mr., Lady, then Oldboy.

RS4-

Train to Busan is the only recent Korean movie I've seen. Fantastic, even with some of the stupid WWZ shit. Don't remember if I've seen anything else in the past few years.

Man From Nowhere is the only other film that comes to mind, and that was a rewatch.

Arkeband

Banned
Watch Doomsday Book.

220px-Doomsday_Book_%28film%29.jpg

It's a series of short ~40 minute stories, I found it super entertaining and it gets pretty introspective/dark (what Korea seems to excel at)

I think everyone else has hit all of the other great ones.

Atomski

Everyone has pretty much mentioned all my favs.. which is awesome.

If your looking for another English film directed by a Korean Dirdctor. The guy who did the Sympathy and Old boy movies did an English movie as well. Called Stoker.
Stoker_Movie-Poster-2013.jpg

Not as good as his other stuff but still worth a watch.

Hazaku

Shiri
joint security area
Attack the gas station
Wonderful Days
Maries Story

Solid recommendations if you're after Korean animated films. Padak is also a neat and more recent one if you dig animated musicals/dark fairy tales about how fish make it into our dinner plates lol. It's up on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/468060

King of Pigs is another good animated film too.

EDIT: You can't go wrong with anything that has Ha Jung-woo in it most of the time

Rainy Dog

Most stuff I'd recommend has already been mentioned.

But here's a few more off the top of my head that are not to be missed too :-

Green Fish
Peppermint Candy
The Isle
The Foul King
The Quiet Family
Tell Me Something
The Uninvited
Sorum

you got me going op

For The Emperor
Northern Limit Line
A Better Tomorrow
Silmido
Rough Cut
Crying Fist
Admiral: Roaring Currents (starring Choi Min-sik)

for the life of me i cant remember this one based of Korea in the 60's or 90's Midnight Blues or something like that, poverty and corruption was big.

Mutombo

I like how most people in this topic are too excited to talk about Korean films than to move this to the off topic section.

I haven't seen The Good, The Bad and the Weird mentioned yet, which I can recommend as a really fun take on the western film, with some really spectacular actions scenes as well.

I found the Wailing suffering a bit from what Koreans are usually great at; mixing genre's. It felt too funny at times to be scary, and it was a bit too long.

The Chaser was really good, but has already been recommended. Also, if you haven't seen it: Kung Fu Hustle. First time I watched it it got me to tears laughing in one particular scene, but it's funny altogether.

AlterOdin

Hide and Seek
Monster
The Attorney
Double Tap
The Running man (a bit comedic)

The Berlin File!!!! (best action thriller I have seen in awhile)

Giran

Not sure if it's Korean but Castaway on the Moon is a really enjoyable watch if you want a break from all this action and revenge.

Of the ones you haven't seen some of my favorites are:

Castaway on the Moon
Joint Security Area
The Chaser
Taeguki
Crying Fist

There's generally a lot of great stuff from the early 2000's to around 2012-13. Truly a golden age for Korean cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom