• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Korean films should I watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyonaz

Most movies got mentioned already. I remember watching and enjoying these ones:

Attack the Gas Station (1999)
My Sassy Girl (2001)
Musa: The Warrior (2001)
Kick The Moon (2001)
Failan (2001)
My Tutor Friend (2003)
A Moment to Remember (2004)
Once Upon A Time In High School (2004)
My Wife is a Gangster 3 (2006)
The Restless (2006)
I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (2006)
A Dirty Carnival (2006)
A Company Man (2012)

Noitshado

Haunters (2010)
Doesn't seem as well known but for gaming fans especially its right up ones alley. Kinda like Unbreakable and Death Note. It was even remade in japan with the main actor in Death Note live action movie but I prefer the slight quirkiness of the original.

A Company Man (2012)
Man who wants to quit his job but he works for a company that specializes in contract killing.

The Berlin File (2013)
Spy Thriller that I happened to enjoy.

Silenced aka The Crucible (2011)
Teacher who finds himself in a school that committed untold horrible acts on their students.
This one may be a little difficult to watch for some.

Great thread I must say. Many I watched listed here but many more I haven't so looking forward to digging into some on my free time =D

Director: Kim Ki Duk

Address Unknown
Pieta
Bad Guy
Samaritan Girl
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ...

(The director's very good and not as much of a woman-hater as it first appears)

Out of those not mentioned (or maybe I overlooked...),

The Foul King: A down-to-earth comedy that grows some amazing dramatic heft at the end.
No Blood No Tears: Pretty much a Guy Ritchie caper, now with Koreans!
Peppermint Candy: My GOD! If you ever wanted to feel like absolute garbage, is this the movie for YOU!
Il Mare: Don't let the remake scare you off. The original is a soft-treading romance with an impossibly cute courtship. Plus a neat thematic art direction.
Volcano High: Bad ass martial arts action flick set in a ruthless high school.
!!!EDIT!!!IMPORTANT!!!: A Family: If you ever wonder how people can love distant, stoic fathers, this is a tearjerker you'll enjoy.

There's probably more, but drawing blanks otherwise.

I'm also going to vouch for Failan as well. Probably my favourite redemption movie ever.

starmud

I want to say it translates to "scary stories", but im not sure... It began with a girl being held hostage by a crazed man and him telling multiple horror stories. The ambulance zombie story and sister brides story were pretty awesome... I've been looking for the movie again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom