• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What made you go PC only? Not a PC master race thread šŸ˜œ

poodaddy

I would be all PC if my wife wasn't on it all the time for school. I also use it for work. Ideally, I need to build another at some point and place it in the game room, but I simply can't afford it. I'm putting in tons of work lately just to get us by, couldn't imagine having enough extra for fun treats.....outside of that Steam Deck OLED which I did get lol. It's getting me by just fine though, great backlog machine.

DryvBy

For me Iā€™m a graphics and technology whore so it was a matter of time what about you guys?
I left PC gaming because the graphics aren't much better anymore and the price of hardware is astronomical. The graphically leap in the 90s and 00s was huge and that's when it was a beast. Plus you could afford it.

simpatico

Originally, screen tearing in the PS360 generation. I stayed for the infinite backwards compatibility and pricing. Consoles are too expensive. Controllers, monthly subs, rebuying your library every gen depending on how much BC the platform holder feels like implementing. HDD upgrades are confusing on the Xbox side. I mean, just look at console only Fallout gamers. Living in literal hell right now. I'm currently playing Days Gone HD Remake right now. Glorious stuff being able to roll your own remasters.

Last edited:

SScorpio

I would be all PC if my wife wasn't on it all the time for school. I also use it for work. Ideally, I need to build another at some point and place it in the game room, but I simply can't afford it. I'm putting in tons of work lately just to get us by, couldn't imagine having enough extra for fun treats.....outside of that Steam Deck OLED which I did get lol. It's getting me by just fine though, great backlog machine.
You might have a special use case, but basic web and office use is fine on the ~$150 Mini PCs. Just don't try massive video editing, AI compute, or fluid simulations on them.

poodaddy

You might have a special use case, but basic web and office use is fine on the ~$150 Mini PCs. Just don't try massive video editing, AI compute, or fluid simulations on them.
Yup, you're absolutely correct. I mentioned putting a smaller PC downstairs just for productivity stuff, and she said she likes having the gaming PC down there just so she can play games in between stuff if she ever gets bored.

Mind you she literally has never done that....but she wants the option lol.

SScorpio

Yup, you're absolutely correct. I mentioned putting a smaller PC downstairs just for productivity stuff, and she said she likes having the gaming PC down there just so she can play games in between stuff if she ever gets bored.

Mind you she literally has never done that....but she wants the option lol.
Then it comes down to which games would she play if she ever played anything on it? The Intel N100 can play 2D pixel art style modern games just fine, and Forza Horizon 5 at 720 low is 30 fps, while Cyberpunk at 720 lowest is 20 fps. So it's not amazing, but it can handle some gaming.

Just phrase it as: "Honey, this lets you watch videos and play a lite game for a quick 15-30 minute brain break. But it will let you disconnect from work/school and enjoy some time together if you want to play something big."

Hmmm, how many circles you reckon for the 8gb 4060???
In raster the PS5 is about 2070 Super/5700XT/1080ti level. The 4060 is 7-10% faster than those again at raster. The 4060 devotes a substantial amount of die space to tensor cores, RT cores and an advanced optical flow accelerator, it is also architecturally optimized for path traced games. The PS5 has none of that so by focusing on raster you are ignoring a big part of what makes the 4060 a 4060. For example at RT the PS5 is weaker than a 6 year old 2060 which the 4060 runs circles around. At AI the PS5 won't even show up to the race.

The Tensor cores allow for the best image reconstruction in the planet: DLSS, at a low ms cost. They also allow for the best Anti Aliasing and image quality through DLAA. The RT cores allow for best in class RT performance for such a physically tiny GPU. The optical flow accelerator enables the first and best Frame Generation around. And Ada's architecture allow the 4060 to run Path Traced Cyberpunk with FG surprisingly well as Digital Foundry showed. Playstation won't be able to run Path Traced games till the PS6 in 2028. Nvidia being the king of all things GPU and graphics shows even on a small GPU like the 4060.

Edit: I just saw you were addressing the PS5 Pro. Well the PS5 Pro has a 60 CU RDNA3.5 GPU, so a 24 SM 4060 shouldn't get anywhere close to that at raster. Consider the RX6600 is an RDNA2 GPU like the PS5 36CUs but with 28CUs instead. The RX6600 with 28CU is about the same performance as a 3060 with 28SM (only at raster). I'm sure you've noticed the 4060 is even smaller than the 3060 at only 24 SMs but the 4060 is 20% faster at raster due to Ada's architectural improvements and 4N node. But the PS5 generally performs a bit worst than a real 36CU GPU due to a variety of reasons so we will have to see. If the PS5 Pro is on 6N then I expect it to perform better than the 34 SM 4060ti maybe even match the 46 SM 4070, I don't expect it to dethrone the 60 SM 4070 TI tho despite it having 60CUs. But anything's possible as we don't have all the details.

Last edited:

Sokka

I was primarily a console player, Xbox 360 was my main console.

In 2012 I was feeling like I really wanted an upgrade, I wanted the next Xbox and I thought they were going to announce it in 2012.

They didn't, so I decided to switch over to PC out of frustration and disappointment. MW2 was my first Steam game I bought, had some classmates that were playing it on PC so I wanted to join in on the fun.

Looking back, I made the right choice seeing how the announcement and launch of the Xbox One in 2013 was a complete failure.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I always gamed on PC, its the first device i owned for gaming, i just love having a good PC that can run a lot of games and mods, also giving me multiple ways to use it and play the games with controller or M+K
I also own consoles, but my main gaming device is PC.

JCK75

I was always into computers even at a really young age (TRS-80 was my first).. I did not actually get an X86 PC until 1993ish, my friend got one and I saw Alone in the Dark and Doom for the first time.. I became obsessed with them and got a really shitty 486 sx33 that ran them but quickly became obsolete and would not run newer games I wanted to play.. It was not until much later down the road that I got another PC I don'r recall the exact year but there were two games on the shelf I picked up with it and those were half-life and Unreal.

Once I discovered mods for half-life that was the moment everything changed for me.. I got TFC and eventually counter-strike .. and that was all she wrote..

The`reason I'm still all about PC is that I still have every game from every generation I've ever loved all in one place.. I never lose access to games I owned in the past..
Xbox is the closest thing in the console space with really solid BC support..
I was at one point a total Nintendo fanboy, and I excused them all the way up until the last few years.. but lately I'm really seeing how greedy and overbearing they are and I'm losing more and more love for them by the minute.

Topher

Gold Member
Xwing/Tie Fighter and Lucasarts adventures passing over the Amiga/ST.

Folks forget how segmented the "personal computer" market was back then. We had several companies trying to make THE computer system for the home like Apple, Commodore, Timex Sinclair, and Tandy Radio Shack. The IBM, Texas Instruments and HPs of the world were vying for the business market. Took a while for the industry to figure out that consumers, home and busines alike, wanted one standard for both markets. All but Apple fell by the wayside as IBM PC created that standard. Amiga held out longer than most though.

CJ_75

I have abondoned the PC more than 15 years ago in favor of Apple products. I have played some PC games back then but I was foremost a console gamer owning almost all consoles from the NES until the PS5.
Once Richard Leadbetter from DF wrote (in Octobre 2022) about 30fps games on consoles being inevitable, I have decided to invest in a high end gaming PC. Around that same time, the RTX 4090 got released and was considered as a true 4K120 GPU. So, I got myself a RTX 4090 PC and it is the best decision I have ever made. The higher fidelity (either native 4K or upscaled) is a bonus but most of all, I like the higher framerates (90-120 fps). I don't see myself game on anything that runs below 60fps. The PC is only used for gaming and is connected to a TV (85X95L) with wired controllers (Xbox controller or Dual Sense). For other tasks, I keep on using a MBP 16-inch with Apple silicon.

I have abondoned the PC more than 15 years ago in favor of Apple products.
200w.gif

I have decided to invest in a high end gaming PC. Around that same time, the RTX 4090 got released and was considered as a true 4K120 GPU. So, I got myself a RTX 4090 PC and it is the best decision I have ever made.
oh nevermind, nice.
really is hard to go back after sucking from the 4k120 teet.
(but of course, a good game is a good game, even with severe technical flaws/poor performance)

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Agree. Steam Deck is possibly one of, if not the greatest video game device ever released.

Top Bottom