• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What moments in cinema sticks out to you as a great scene?

These are a few of my favorite scenes that Cinema has provided throughout the years.
The Warriors and the come out to play scene

The bottles are so grating and annoying but it does a wonderful job at harassing someone and doing some sort of mental torture where it's so easy to get a rise simply from the clanking of those bottles. Plus the annoying voice that goes along with it just makes you want to come out and beat the shit out of that guy.

Rocky V
Mickey's Gym flashback

The music is incredibly heart breaking and Mickey's speech hits a lot harder then it should. It didn't mean anything when I was younger but as I age I feel that it's an inevitability and far harsher than it was ever meant to be. I've lost friends, family, and children as I've aged. So this scene hits incredibly hard. Though this Rocky movie isn't the best it has some of the harshest doses of reality I've ever seen in a movie when it comes to aging and what's lost as one ages. There's a lot of continuity errors in this film, but the reality it displays is far better than what Rocky III and IV did and probably even greater than Rocky II and Balboa.

Last edited:

MastAndo

There are so many, but from a filmmaking/cinematography perspective;

A great scene from a terrific flick - it does a hell of a job of building up the tension;

Another particularly great one with escalating tension;

...and finally, if you happen to feel like running through an effing wall, the Adrian "Win" scene plus montage in the first half of this clip;

Sure, the Rocky IV training montage is probably better, but when those bells toll in "Going the Distance" as Adrian tells Rock she wants him to go out and whip Apollo...man, chills every time.

DogofWar

Not only super cool from an action perspective and iconic in that sense. It is also the first major turn in one of the most fascinating and well made character arcs in movie history. (Michael Corleone)

The Clint Eastwood western trilogy are criminally underrated nowadays. This scene is how you build a legendary character.

"Why do you do this?
- Why? Because I knew someone like you once, and there was no one there to help".

Very vague, and that is a good thing. The viewer fills in the blank here so that whatever resonates the most with you is who that dialogue, and hence the actions of the protagonist throughout almost the entire movie, can be true. If it was his sister, friend, girlfriend, mother or someone else we will never know for sure. The mysterious lone wanderer keeps on being mysterious, but you get a more sympathetic relationship with him either way.

Inception camera work and visuals were genius level, as were Shutter Island.

The winner is John Wick 3. Halle Berry + Dogs + Wick. The action going on in the background of each action is shot, is filmed better than most action films these days. It is a joy and a pleasure to watch. Bonus: Halle Berry is 50, 50!!!!! Smoking hot.

deafmedal

Lots of great ones already posted, here are a few more that come to mind:

SLJ’s diner monologue in Pulp Fiction (and ofc the apartment tirade).

MM breaking down after returning to the ship when adult Murph tells him off on vid.

Forest breaking down at Jenny’s grave about their son.

I’ve also always been very fond of the entire prison sequence in Natural Born Killers, that interview scene is fantastic.

Edit: Carl opening the memory book in Up!

Last edited:
Video unavailable

This video contains content from Warner Bros. Films, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

^ seeing this a ton in this thread. Media companies are absolute cunts. Try and pick unofficial uploads so people can see what it actually is, and these bottom feeders don't get clicks.

Last edited:

notseqi

Some vids are blocked, if not posted yet: No Country for Old Men - Coin Toss

It’s so cliche, but...

Star Wars under Lucas is just full of these dialogue-less, beautiful moments, often letting Williams emotionally guide them. Even Episode 3 ended with some really gorgeous, moving scenes.

The picture with Luke alone, without clicking the video, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Followed by dread at what Star Wars has become.

Imotekh

This scene from Contact continues to blow my mind every time I watch it.

Also this scene from Road to Perdition always stuck with me. Masterful use of sound and the *absence* of sound. The silent gunfight and then the barrage of noise from the Tommy gun at the end lends so much emphasis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom