• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What old games (think gameplay) that doesn’t exist anymore would do well with today’s graphics?

bitbydeath

So many genres / gameplay types have been left behind, what do you think would still sell well enough in todays AAA world?

The Lost Vikings

Such a fun game, you switched between three Vikings, each with their own abilities, making it a bit more of a puzzle adventure title.
ZUUUGAZNPX1Z1612555270161.gif

Dr Drago’s Madcap Chase Around The World

An MP game, similar to a board game where you trek around the world in a car and are able to pickup cards that slowed your competitors down, while also being chased by Dr Drago.

images

Wacky Wheels

Karting games are a dying breed and there is nothing out there today like Wacky Wheels. Not only were their races but also MP mini games.

wacky-wheels-apogee.gif

SScorpio

So many genres / gameplay types have been left behind, what do you think would still sell well enough in todays AAA world?

The Lost Vikings

Such a fun game, you switched between three Vikings, each with their own abilities, making it a bit more of a puzzle adventure title.
ZUUUGAZNPX1Z1612555270161.gif
Have you played the Trine series? It's an action platformer puzzler where you switch between the characters with their own abilities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trine_(video_game)

Last edited:

Labadal

I would have to say the Grandia series. All the games had very fun combat, but none of them were known for good graphics. Especially the second game has not aged well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A modern day version of this 2 vs 2 or more players (teams) I think would do great. One of the precursor (if not the game) that came before resource gathering civ style gaming. Came out in 1982.

The guys playing have no idea what they are doing and where to place buildings and crops. But as a tip, the right side was better to take because hurricanes barely swung over to the right knocking out stuff. The left island got more rain which is important, but if your match had a bunch of hurricanes chances are it went down the map from the top left origins (where all clouds and hurricanes came from) and obliterated that island. But if the match had no serious hurricane affects, the left would win easier.

Last edited:

Corian33

Battlezone. Blows my mind that the first person/RTS combo genre never took off. There was the Command and Conquer one too that had fun multiplayer.

Space sims in the style of Descent: Freespace. There were so many good games in this genre in the 90’s and now nothing. Let me be a cool space pilot blasting aliens!

MrStauf

Banned
The Ultima games, ultima 7 and the follow up the serpent isle, are two of my favorite games of all time.
EA destroyed the franchise, no surprise there...

Ar¢tos

Chaos: The Battle of Wizards

It would be a really cheap remake and online mp would keep it alive for long.

Last edited:

Hudo

Battlezone. Blows my mind that the first person/RTS combo genre never took off. There was the Command and Conquer one too that had fun multiplayer.

Space sims in the style of Descent: Freespace. There were so many good games in this genre in the 90’s and now nothing. Let me be a cool space pilot blasting aliens!
I love you.

1. ROAD RASH - Why the hell is EA such shit and holding on to old ips?
This hasn't been made since what PS1 era with 3d and jailbreak. Those were great games, with killer soundtracks (wondering if this is reason for no remaster, sucks as a new game would have today's crap music).
medium_558266_2545907250.jpeg
Road_Rash_3D_cover.jpg

2. Vagrant Story: Why did we never get a sequel to this masterpeice? The gameplay and expericene along with the graphics at the time were so amazing.
Although maybe if done today the real world graphics would take away from what made this special. Also I can't see SE doing pause and play gameplay like this.
5618931-vagrant-story-wallpapers.jpg
Vagrant_2Bstory_2Bcombat2.jpg

3. Mega Man Legends: This series had what 3 games on ps1.. Why was it not continued. It was so awesome. It would fit well on the switch with maybe voxels and destruction. Keep the chunky graphics. Add in physics.
MMLegendsBox.jpg
mega-man-legends-action.gif

4. Castlevania: Why do we have new tv shows based on this but no new games? It makes zero sense. Make a new 2d sequel, with same long game and production as the last one.
Or have fromm make a dark souls cv game. I'd like both, please.

2020_son_us.jpg
castlevania-symphony-of-the-night.jpg

5. Suikoden: speaking of Konami, the grrr.... We are supposed to get a remaster of 1 and 2 this year, but no release date as of yet. What about the 3-5 as well?
I'd really like a Suikoden 6, come on it was one of the best jrpg franchises of its time. I loved it!

61AKsgTItfL.jpg
010420-Suikoden-II-Konami.jpg

6. Parasite Eve: Where square, where? This series was amazing. It had that pause and play turnbase/realtime that vagrant story did. Why did they abandon this.
The psp 3rd birthday was great a side game but it wasn't the same. Bring her back!!! This one really could use todays graphics but keep the tbs style. I loved pause and play.
Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png
parasite_eve_1.png

7. Ultima Underworld - or any ultima. This game was so good. Arx Fatalis was a spirtual successor, we need a new one.
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
db51b907d5372c42a0de68de4bf34bdc693484356176422bb9315e9cfbba6d55_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

8. Wing Commander
Yeah EA killed and swallowed up a lot of my childhood favs....grrr. These space games, and later freelancer were so good. Nothing like them today.
WingCommanderBox-front.jpg
wing-commander.gif

Honorable mentions- Legacy of Kain - blood omen or soul reaver, Legend of Legia (jrp with fighting game mechanics).
I could go on and on..

The Ultima games, ultima 7 and the follow up the serpent isle, are two of my favorite games of all time.
EA destroyed the franchise, no surprise there...
Throw in underworld series, Might and Magic, and Wizardry while we are at it. EA really is horrible (and ubisoft, but at least they made a M&M 10 a decade later , ea hasn't done shit unless it can be monetized for mtx).

Allandor

Good old basebuilding RTS games (good old c&c, dungeon keeper, ...)
Point and click adventures (are dead so far)
Wing commander
Crusader no remorse/regret

Top Bottom