• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other movies should Tim Burton remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got the Planet of the Apes, now Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I'm thinking maybe an epic movie like Sparticus or Dr. Strangelove. From all appearances Tim Burtons best days are behind him.

Tim Burton has a real masterpiece ahead of him, and it's not a remake. So far he has made visually interesting pieces that are, most of the time, too quirky for their own good. Someday he'll find a serious script he'll imbue with all the incredible visual talent he has.

Till' then, I dunno, he can do whatever remakes he wants, I won't pay full price for em.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Legal Step said:
From all appearances Tim Burtons best days are behind him.
Big Fish wasn't bad, but it certainly can't compare to his earlier works. Planet of the Apes, of course, was a travesty.

Still, I've not given up on him yet. Charlie will largely determine my opinion of his future, though, so it better be good.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Legal Step said:
We got the Planet of the Apes, now Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I'm thinking maybe an epic movie like Sparticus or Dr. Strangelove. From all appearances Tim Burtons best days are behind him.

Someone didn't see Big Fish.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Big Fish was an emotionally manipulative collection of disjointed set pieces that ultimately made a point that had no need of being made. It was utterly forgetable.

Burton has been dead to me since Ed Wood.

Wendo

Vasectomember
Burton should remake Gone with the Wind, and then Citizen Kane. Maybe Dr. Shivago too.

Then maybe people would stop paying him to direct "remakes". :D

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
If he would just save all the props from his movies over the years and give up filmmaking and open a theme park.. that would be awesome. Although, after about 10 minutes you'd realize the whole place looks the exact same, just with different colors.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dan said:
Big Fish was an emotionally manipulative collection of disjointed set pieces that ultimately made a point that had no need of being made. It was utterly forgetable.
Couldn't agree more. I saw it with my 16 year old sister and while she loved it, I thought it was very mediocre.

mattx5

Warhammer 40k said:
He should make another comic movie. Batman was awesome!

canoworms2uc.jpg

Look what you've gone and done :(

madara

Hmm, nothing with much of plot. I love guy as much as next guy but his flicks are more style then substance.

Tarazet

TheDrowningMan said:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory isn't a remake.

karasu said:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory isn't a remake.

I'm horribly confused. I don't know if Karasu's being sarcastic, if they're both idiots, or if I'm an idiot, because I'm pretty damn sure this is a remake.

demon

LinesInTheSand said:
Big Fish was amazing. Fuck teh haters.
No,
393794182carusoFUCKYOUUU.gif

Pray tell, what was so fucking amazing about it? It was a manipulative and over-sentimental movie that tried way, way too hard to be this touching, endearing film it just couldn't be.

demon

sonarrat said:
I'm horribly confused. I don't know if Karasu's being sarcastic, if they're both idiots, or if I'm an idiot, because I'm pretty damn sure this is a remake.
It's based on the book, and.much moreso than the original movie was. So it is not the original movie being remade.

demon said:
It's based on the book, and.much moreso than the original movie was. So it is not the original movie being remade.

Exactly.

If this is a remake of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory then "The Passion Of The Christ" is a remake of "The Last Temptation Of Christ".

i would want him to do a live action of Porco rosso.

but mostly i would love to see a feature lenght movie of his very early work Vincent!

Sai

How 'bout...

neverending_story.jpg

Eh?... Eh?...

I got it on DVD the other day. It brought back memories. Also found out while searching for the above image that a television series was made in 2k1. Apparently didn't follow the book or movies all that much, but I think I still would have liked to seen it.

Except with Planet of the Apes, Burton was pretty much a hired hand, and had very little to do with it in terms of making it a Burton film. Seems pretty obvious to me, doesn't feel much like any of his other films. Also it's an action movie, and Burton would be best to stay away from that.

android

Theoretical Magician
I don't think he will do many more remakes after Willy Wonka. I want him and Paul Reubens to resurect the zombie that is Pee Wee Herman after Corpse Bride. Or i'd like to see him take on another DC character, like Flash or Green Lantern.

Bristow

Banned
The man made Edward Scissorhands. Everything since then has been crap (Big Fish is OK I guess,) but I can't fault him due to that movie being amazing.

Proceed with making crap movies, Tim.

FoneBone

Bristow said:
The man made Edward Scissorhands. Everything since then has been crap (Big Fish is OK I guess,) but I can't fault him due to that movie being amazing.

Ed Wood?

android

Theoretical Magician
Bristow said:

Nightmare before Christmas

Dan said:

Burton has been dead to me since Ed Wood.

Ed Wood sucked, you damn movie snobs. :D

Dilbert

STOP. MAKING. REMAKES. (And, while you're at it, stop making sequels too.)

If Hollywood can't come up with anything new, the place should be paved over and made into a large, free parking lot. Seriously. Knock this remake/sequel shit off already.

Drozmight

Sai said:
How 'bout...

neverending_story.jpg

Eh?... Eh?...

I got it on DVD the other day. It brought back memories. Also found out while searching for the above image that a television series was made in 2k1. Apparently didn't follow the book or movies all that much, but I think I still would have liked to seen it.

Oh hell yeah.

etiolate

Banned
Neverending Story is a great idea. It's not a remake, but I've always wanted Burton to make a Gaiman work into a movie. It just makes too much sense for it to ever happen. Stardust? Sandman? They're freaking perfect for each other.

And screw the Burton haters.

Ed Wood
Edward Scissorhands
Mars Attacks
Nightmare Before Christmas*
Pee Wee's Big Adventure*
Batman and Batman Returns..
Big Fish..

*And to discredit Burton on these two films is ridiculous. His presence and touch is seen all over these movies.

android

Theoretical Magician
etiolate said:
It's not a remake, but I've always wanted Burton to make a Gaiman work into a movie. It just makes too much sense for it to ever happen. Stardust? Sandman? They're freaking perfect for each other.
I'd like to see him do Good Omens or American Gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom