• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What our world would look like if we weren't the only humanoid species(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(<only> means the last surviving species on this planet)

I would like to set this thought experiment in a more grounded setting, by using the fact that this actually already happened not that long ago.
In case you don't know, let's back up a bit first and see what actually (probably) happened:

Homo genus species distribution:
NZyvLYR.png

left=Asia; middle = Europe; right = Africa
Timescale is in million years.

Homo erectus deserves a special mention for sticking around longer than probably any other human species, clocking a couple million years or so. Though they were still too primitive to be relevant today (i.e. their brain likely didn't have the potential that allows us to do what we do today, if only in size).

So let's start with Homo heidelbergensis, our direct ancestor. Already pretty human-esque, almost the same brain capacity and they managed to spread to most of Africa, Europe and Asia.
This is where it gets interesting, because in each of these regions Homo heidelbergensis evolved into a separate species of humans. Actually, "group of humans" is probably the better terms due to being to similar, but it's still nowhere as close as e.g. the groups of people we define as races (so I will just call them different species in this post).

• Africa -> Homo sapiens (that will become us Modern humans, Homo sapiens sapiens)
  • Europe -> Homo neanderthalensis (= Neanderthals)
  • Asia -> the Denisovans (we don't know much about these guys)

All three were seemingly superior to their ancestor, as Homo heidelbergensis was replaced by them in all regions.
(note: the little river in the top right stands for possible unknown archaic African hominins that may or may not interbred with humans)

Bonus mention of Homo floresiensis, that managed to survive until very recently (10.000 years ago) while being Hobbit-sized!

Anyway, let's check out our direct competitors for the place of the most dominant species on Earth:

Neanderthals:
Early Neanderthals existed as early as 600.000 years ago, but you would place distinct Neanderthals around 250.000 years ago. They never left Eurasia and went extinct a mere 40.000 years ago.
They had a larger brain than us and seemingly the same mental capacity, in fact, their tools could even be described as being better. Red haired and white skinned. They were much more bulky while a bit shorter than Humans. It seems particular their arms and hands were much stronger than ours. Apparently they were also better adapted to the cold.
Humans arrived 45.000 years ago in Europe and were a competing force, with neanderthals gaining back ground during cold periods. However, an extremely cold period, change in environment and the increased competition (including possible diseases) drove them into extinction. It probably was not an active genocide/specicide (which would not be very surprising for humans TBH), but the fact that Neanderthals stuck only to local communities instead of pulling regional resources like we did. Their bodies needed also more energy than any other humanoid so lack of food sources hit them particularly hard.
It's important to note that there were direct interactions between Neanderthals and Humans, even inter-breeding as we still have parts of their DNA in our genome (all humans apart from Modern humans whose ancestors stayed in Africa. Sorry white supremacists, the original/pure human is black and the rest is a kinky interspecies mix). However, it's not much and it seems that only human female + Neanderthal male could even produce viable offspring.

Denisovans:
Not going to talk much about them as there's not really much known apart from DNA analysis. It seems they were closer related to Neanderthals than to us and probably had a similar stocky build as Neanderthals, although it seems Denisovans were dark skinned (with brown eyes etc.). The time scale of their rise&fall more or less fits with the one for the Neanderthals (so both started a bit earlier than humans did).
They interbred with humans who were expanding from Africa all the way to Australia. That's why Melanesians and Aboriginal Australians (and native Americans, but much less so) share DNA with the Denisovans, a bit more even than the amount all non-African humans share with the Neanderthals. We don't know enough but it could be that they went extinct by being assimilated into humans.
Fun fact: Tibetans earned their gene that helps with living in high altitudes.

Humans (existing since ca. 100.000-200.000 years) you should know :p
But if you are wondering about the first human migrations, this image will probably confuse you a bit more:
aXGiwUy.jpg

So, ignoring the details: first from Africa to Asia with a non-stop move to Australia. Then Africa to Europe. Asia to North and then South America America was last.

Ok actually that's already pretty cool, so my actual intention for this thread may be misplaced, but here we go:

In an alternative reality, how would our world look like if at least the Neanderthals had survived as a distinct species?

This is not what-if-Aliens-visit territory, we already had Neanderthals and humans living next to each other, each with their own culture, art, tech etc.
All it needs is Neanderthals surviving a few thousands years longer (till they have agriculture etc.) and/or humans being less of an invasive species.

• Would Neanderthals develop separately from humans or would they start sharing tech early on?
  • Would there be more interbreeding to the point where we would have Neanderthals controlling Europe, pure Homo sapiens living in Africa and more evenly mixed offspring of the two living on the borders?
  • No Roman Empire etc., but would comparable early civilizations of each species fight more viciously for control?
  • Would we see overall less racism because it's now a "us vs them" on a bigger scale? On the other hand, the dominant species will enslave the other one(s) (especially if it's us).
  • Assuming a similar tech level, would Neanderthals with their stronger bodies dominate wars that still depend on physical warfare?
  • Would religions be set up differently as they can't really ignore that humans aren't the special snowflake that popped into existence?
  • Neanderthals never seemed to care much about exploring the world nor forming big social networks, would they even built big civilizations at all? Even if so, they might not care about gaining more land like the expanding humans did/do (would this result in less wars?)
  • Now throw in alliances with Denisovans to have even more fun!

So, GAF.
Would you fight this guy?
FbMBzYO.jpg

Or would you date him, specifically searching with the help of the species setting in Occupid?

They where barely any different than us, I don't thing it would be any different than how we threat other humans for having different colored skin, or believing in different things or because they lived in a place you want for your yourselves.

Also they are all dead now anyway.

Dale A. Russell's Troodon 'dinosauroid' captured my imagination as a kid, probably out of fear.

But as far as discrete humanoids? Yeah, I don't think much would be different from a sociological standpoint, prejudices notwithstanding.

i thought it was proven that neanderthals and humans coexisted and we destroyed them

Yes and no. We out-competed them. Though it was probably a more passive conflict.
There's simply no real evidence of them fighting each other, as you can't say who actually throw a spear that killed a Neanderthal (apparently anthropologists couldn't use the different tools for that etc.)

They where barely any different than us, I don't thing it would be any different than how we threat other humans for having different colored skin, or believing in different things or because they lived in a place you want for your yourselves.

I think this highly depends on how long the different groups were living in a vacuum, like if the Neanderthals had time to form societies before encountering Modern humans.
Physically, there are prominent differences (note that humans today are more diverse than the early explorers that left Africa) and if it's true that male humans and female neanderthals can't produce offspring, the two groups wouldn't mix completely and see themselves even more as different than humans see other races among themselves.

Also, if Europe/Caucasians would be instead Neanderthals, the geopolitical situation would be much different. Apparently the Neanderthals wouldn't go on a world-domination-tour, at least before having civilizations.

It's also a different situation when one of the two groups you pit off against each other is physically stronger, which matters at least in the pre-industrial age.

Wouldn't be any different than it is now.

I agree, I can't imagine it being any different. I'm basing that off the fact that while humans are of the same species, culturally there are massive differences. Not the same thing but close enough that I can draw conclusions and form my opinion

^^^naked nonetheless.
That's the 2% or whatever Neanderthal DNA! ;D

I agree, I can't imagine it being any different. I'm basing that off the fact that while humans are of the same species, culturally there are massive differences. Not the same thing but close enough that I can draw conclusions and form my opinion

Ok, I can get that point. For me it's a just a bit more fantastical, like, the situation 40.000 years ago was basically Star Trek with three cavemen species of different continents instead of aliens of other planets.

Though I'm also more wondering how history would have went and not necessarily how accepting we would be (which I agree, nowadays we differ mostly by culture-background than anything else). I would think having some serious competition early on might not have been such a bad thing in the long run.

Dr.Parity

Banned
Man, this stuff is really fascinating.

I think even if the neanderthal's survived and didn't die out from an apparent minor ice age, I would bet that sometime during the first major homo-sapien empire that expanded far into Europe would most likely wipe out a good portion of what ever species they encountered.

I remember reading that neanderthal speech was pretty different from ours, and that they really wouldn't be able to talk like us or incorporate our own language, and vice versa. Now maybe that means a middle man language is created between our species, but who knows.

If the neanderthal's existed in an area that was untouched from the first major empire, I maybe they might stand a chance if they decide to move around and explore.

Cimarron

I think it is abundantly clear that there are massive social and intellectual differences between us and neandertals. Our tech was far superior to them when we showed up in Europe. Yes they were physically more robust than we are but we were smarter and had much better projectile weapons which makes all the difference in the world.

Hex

Banned
We would have already wiped them out or enslaved them.
If nothing else humans have proven that to be their way.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer is about an alternate Earth where Neanderthals dominated coming into contact with this Earth. It's not too bad, and plays with the idea that the Neanderthals never stopped being hunter gatherers, and this affected the shape of their society and their technological development.

I think it is abundantly clear that there are massive social and intellectual differences between us and neandertals. Our tech was far superior to them when we showed up in Europe. Yes they were physically more robust than we are but we were smarter and had much better projectile weapons which makes all the difference in the world.

Apparently they actually had the more advanced tech:
http://www.rawstory.com/2013/08/new...ls-had-more-advanced-tools-than-early-humans/

I also saw the same result in a documentary where they used some of the various tools of both groups.

There's also no reason to believe they were less smart than us, in fact, they had the bigger brain size (which by itself doesn't mean much of course). Forming vast social networks is a skill they didn't seem to have though. Also their hunting technique was more ambush-like than the exhaustion hunting of humans (long distance runners), so Neanderthals had problems hunting in open grasslands etc.

edit:
The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer is about an alternate Earth where Neanderthals dominated coming into contact with this Earth. It's not too bad, and plays with the idea that the Neanderthals never stopped being hunter gatherers, and this affected the shape of their society and their technological development.

neat!

Prez

I wonder what society would be like if homo sapiens went extinct and Neanderthals are the only species. Would there be less war and violence?

I don't think there was ever a really a way for more than one species of homo to exist. The first group to gain that slight population or tech advantage would've out competed or straight up exterminated the rest. Just as a thought experiment though, I think we would've ended up enslaving the other species and then we'd be dealing with a whole other type of racism than exists today.

So how come everyone ended up with neandertal dna? Cant imagine EVERYONE mixing with them

2. Why didnt the female neandertal and male homo sapiens mix?

3. How big of a chance is there that the reason we're white is because of them?

So how come everyone ended up with neandertal dna? Cant imagine EVERYONE mixing with them

2. Why didnt the female neandertal and male homo sapiens mix?

3. How big of a chance is there that the reason we're white is because of them?

1)
Not every human has Neanderthal DNA. The humans who stayed in Africa could never mix with them (so their Modern human descents don't have it either today). The traveling folks that spawned the rest of us must have encountered the Neanderthals before expanding throughout the world (which is a bit weird for me as they've been to Asia before Europe, but they met in the middle east for the first time so that's why).

2)
Because we can't find any trace of Neanderthals in our mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited exclusively from the female side. It's more likely the offspring weren't viable than human males not wanting to pork a Neanderthal lady (I guess?).

3)
Apparently not the case. Northern humans lost pigmentation like 6000-12000 years ago so long after the Neanderthals died out.
I don't know the details which genes are exactly contained in the Neanderthal DNA though. There was a strong selection pressure as there are only two mothers to which every European can trace their ancestry back to. Either they had evolved white skin on their own (the early Neanderthals weren't white originally either) or somehow got it via the DNA mix but it only shined when it was an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom