• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What "Science Things" do you like to read about?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've always been fascinated by science, ever since I saw a picture of the Martian surface in a school science book in elementary school. It's always made me want to learn more Especially if it's something not easily understood.

Take, for example, quantum physics or theoretical physics and Avengers Endgame.

The typical stance of pop culture regarding time travel is that if you go back to the past, you change your future. And then some vague explanation of "The butterfly effect"... Like Back to the Future or Terminator.

However, Avengers Endgame ACTUALLY gets it right. IMO.

Take the grandfather paradox. You go back in time to kill your grandfather so that you're never born. But if you were never born, you couldn't have killed your grandfather. But what would happen is, once you step back in time, you create a branch in time... A parallel universe. It doesn't matter if you end up killing that version of your grandfather... You've effectively left your own timeline and created another. So, as Hulk said, your present becomes your past and your past is now your future.

So instead of changing your past, or anyone's past, your actual past is intact. You were still born. Your grandfather never died.

I find things like that so fascinating!

Cutty Flam

Banned
Exercise science things like bio-mechanics, kinesiology, biology, chemistry, anatomy, nutrition, psychology is a little bit interesting as well but probably my least favorite of the sciences

Oh, and the science of big breast milk, Milktruckology

Psychology and how people's minds work.

People can be controlled using clever words and flashing images. Pretty scary when you consider that an entire nation could be brainwashed using a video game.

Mihos

Gold Member
Mobius time loop that was eluded to in end game has actually been around for a long time. It self corrects many paradoxes, but then end game kind of ignored all that and went full many worlds.

Devs gets the many world thing right.... at least up to where I am in the series, I am about 3 episodes behind.

Social science.
Rationalizing human primitiveness is peak ivory tower.

Also, I like the physicists who rip other physicists a new one because they are biased towards "beauty in maths". As if it made any sense to look for mathematical solutions resembling anything that would fit human concepts of beauty. Fucking idiots have been wasting their time for decades and still wonder why they don't make any progress.

GAMETA

Banned
• Space discoveries and space exploration technology.
• Ancient and artifacts discoveries
• AI, robotics, automation, nano and quantum technology.
• Advancements in rendering, procedural generation, etc.
• Mysteries that may or may not include aliens, paranormal and multi-dimension manifestations, the old flood and Joe Rogan.

Actually, anything worth a read or watch, including youtube channels like Cody's Lab, PBS Space Time, Fraser Cain, Answers with Joe, Veritasseum, Astrum, Smarter Every Day, etc.

Top Bottom