• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Should Nintendo Call its Switch Successor?

What Should the Unknown Switch Succesor be classed.

• Switch Pro

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Switch +

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Switch 2

Votes: 91 41.2%
  • Switch Power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Switch AR or AR Switch or Reality Switch or Switch Reality

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Switch Up

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Switch Deluxe

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Super Switch

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Nintendo Next (a whole new name)

Votes: 39 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F31 Leopard

Switch 2. Nintendo needs to quit with the odd ball names and go with numerical iterations. I wouldn't mind if they called it Famicom 8 or NES 8 since it will be their 8th console.

Reactions: TLZ

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The Nintendo Butt Hole
giphy.gif

Banned
they can not under any circumstances confuse their costumers. there should be no way to not know that this is a new console.

so either Switch 2, or a completely different name that doesn't have Switch in it.

Switch 2 is the safest route, but could feel less special.

a completely new name might be slightly confusing but might make it more interesting at first glance, especially if it has a strong new "gimmick"

like if the new system has wireless HDMI support or something, then they could call it something like Nintendo Air or something more creative than that 😅...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Hopefully the next console will arrive in 2 years, even Nintendo Switch is a fantastic console.

If they do the next one, let Nintendo pass on a VR peripheral.

John Bilbo

They will try to name the console after the actor Seth Rogan in honor of voice acting their first titular videogame character Donkey Kong, but they will accidentally call it by the name of another monkey: Joe Rogan.

What an experience!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Acceptable names:
Super Switch
Switch 2
Nintendo Switch Entertainment System (SES/NSES)

Horrible names that Nintendo would likely pick:
New! Switch
SwitchU
SwitchMii
Swatch
Nintendo Joy

Elysion

Banned
Gameboy. I‘ll just quote myself from another thread:

What if Nintendo decides to revive the Gameboy brand? If their next system was called ‚Gameboy‘, there would be no confusion whatsoever whether it‘s a new system or an upgrade or something else (like happened with the Wii U). Because such confusion might indeed happen again if its called ‚Super Switch‘ or something like that. They could follow Sony’s example and just go with ‚Switch 2‘, but considering they haven’t done that for any other system in the last 40+ years, I doubt they‘d start now.

But bringing back the name Gameboy would immediately create a lot of buzz. It should still be a hybrid of course, with the same or similar form factor to the Switch; but that name man… it would push people‘s nostalgia buttons really hard. They would hardly have to do any marketing, the name alone would be enough.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I like something else. Keep the Switch name, but give is something more sexy.

Switch Xtreme sounds good, or possibly The Spectacular Switch.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I choose Switch 2 because you can't go wrong with it. I mean, everyone will new that it's the next thing

But chances are the next console is basically a beefier Switch, sooooooooooo Switch Advanced?!

Kokoloko85

Keep it simple. Switch 2. Too risky taking a new name. Nintendo home consoles always have a chance of messing up.
Super Switch would be nostalgic

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think Switch 2, because if they do the same thing again for the console after it then they can just do Switch 3, 4, etc...

Zannegan

They could also go full Apple and call it Switch - Generation 2.

The difference and intention would then be clear without a need for complete rebranding. Software compatability could be clearly marked on boxes (assuming backwards compatability of software and forwards compatability of cartridges). And Nintendo would take one more step towards that Apple aura they've been cultivating since the DS Lite/Wii.

As a bonus, they could then (ironically) get away with a successor that was less than a full generational leap in power and that focused more on iteration than innovation (with a minor fun gimmick like head-tracking for the funs). At least, to my understanding, that's the expectation new Apple hardware seems to create: first generation = huge innovation, everything thereafter = QOL ugrades and iteration.

I still like the Nintendo Next (or NEX) from the poll though.

Just be normal for once and call it switch 2 but let's be honest, Nintendo will call it something completely new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom