• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What sort of stipulations/examples should gaming companies provide in their TOS when it comes to suspensions & bans?

Totally stealing from VectorVictor's last post in the thread that got locked but I feel like this is something that should be talked about. As of now the language (be it "most severe behavior" or "offensive language" etc) is vague for most companies. I agree that they should provide a detailed plan (examples of said behaviors along with punishments for each). What should that plan look like, as in what type of punishment for which offenses? Seems like there should be a definable difference in the punishments for infractions of different severity. Anyways, here's that post:

This is why I feel it's vital as consumers for all of these platforms (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Origin, Steam, GOG.com) that we have EULAs that:
  • Require in-game text or voice chat users to be 18 years or older (in USA--this can vary based off of age of majority in your country) and verify this with a nominal charge to a credit card.
  • Specify in detail what is considered an offense against the EULA and can result in a ban (e.g. foul language, derogatory communication, cyberbullying, talkin' bad about someone's momma)
  • Provide examples to back up those definitions (e.g. Gamer A told Gamer B that "your mom is like the town bicycle--everyone has had a ride.")
  • Provide a documented process and dedicated channel for consumers that are banned to contest their ban and discuss the issue directly with the company in a timely fashion (e.g. three business days).
  • Provide the means to either (or do both):
    • Receive refunds for licenses purchased that can no longer be used (based on current price of the games--not original paid price)
    • Have licenses transferred to another account that is can sign in to online services, but is otherwise restricted from communicating or participating online (so as to have continued access to purchased online content)
I may have missed something here, but we need to come together and have a detailed plan of what we as gamers expect these companies to do. Otherwise, they'll continue to run over gamers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom