• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripOpt55

Any new shows that started so far in 2016 you guys think are worth watching? I have been unimpressed with what I have sampled so far. I guess I will keep watching American Crime Story, Legends of Tomorrow and Love for now (well I finished S1 of the latter), but even they aren't doing much for me.

Any new shows that started so far in 2016 you guys think are worth watching? I have been unimpressed with what I have sampled so far. I guess I will keep watching American Crime Story, Legends of Tomorrow and Love for now (well I finished S1 of the latter), but even they aren't doing much for me.
I'm digging Colony thus far (very good cast, intriguing story, often heads in unexpected directions). The Expanse was a pleasant surprise if you'd like some sci-fi in your diet, though it starts slowly and you have to be patient with it. The Magicians is decent. ACS is probably the best new show I've seen this calendar year, but the other three are worth a look if the subject matter appeals to you.

Night Manager's first episode was solid and the cast is great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Baskets on FX is fucking great.

I'm digging Colony thus far (very good cast, intriguing story, often heads in unexpected directions). The Expanse was a pleasant surprise if you'd like some sci-fi in your diet, though it starts slowly and you have to be patient with it. The Magicians is decent. ACS is probably the best new show I've seen this calendar year, but the other three are worth a look if the subject matter appeals to you.

I second the vote for Colony. Solid show.

TripOpt55

Thanks guys. Of these I have only tried Colony (I liked the first ep and was a bit bored by the second and just haven't gotten back to it). I'll give these others a look too and will have to wait for the US airing of Night Manager I guess.

berzeli

Banned
Thanks guys. Of these I have only tried Colony (I liked the first ep and was a bit bored by the second and just haven't gotten back to it). I'll give these others a look too and will have to wait for the US airing of Night Manager I guess.

I second The Night Manager, really solid first episode.

There is also The Last Panthers coming up for the US, I watched it last year and it ended up on my top ten list:
3. The Last Panthers (Canal+/Sky/Sundance)

Starting off with one of the best heists on TV, the show slowly evolves from what would be a very good straightforward crime drama to a, superbly acted, much more complex and compelling affair. Written by one of my favourites, Jack Thorne (This is England '86/'88/'90, The Fades), the show takes you on a less than glamorous tour of contemporary Europe. It doesn't hurt that the music is great, it's the best shot TV show this year and that the cast is amazing (Samantha Morton, Tahar Rahim and John Hurt)

Yes.

Yes.

The Expanse was a pleasant surprise if you'd like some sci-fi in your diet, though it starts slowly and you have to be patient with it. The Magicians is decent. ACS is probably the best new show I've seen this calendar year, but the other three are worth a look if the subject matter appeals to you.

and yes.

Baskets and American Crime Story are the biggest surprises of 2016 to me. I didn't expect much from either but both are so good.

berzeli

Banned
HOUDINI & DOYLE | First Look | FOX BROADCASTING
giphy.gif

Parch

Holy Christ, that's a huge OT.
Good on the OP for the OT. It's a lot of work.

With more and more of the cable channels making their own shows now, there is a crapload of TV to chose from. It's a bit overwhelming but having those brief descriptions help to decide on the will try, might try, and not in a million years.

berzeli

Banned
Line of Duty: Series 3 Trailer

Holy shit. I'm so excited, Line of Duty is one of the absolute top dramas around and this looks like another stellar series. The first two series are on Netflix in a bunch of regions and on Hulu in the US, there is no reason not to get caught up with it.

No word on when exactly it airs though, but it is missing from the OT Ratsky (as is a link to my Night Manager OT) :p

Apt101

I'm looking forward to House of Cards - it feels like it's been a long time, and I find myself interested in it again after a third season I thought floundered a bit.

Westworld is definitely something I'm interested in, but the production was in turmoil last time I heard. I'm hoping for a spring premiere.

And Game of Thrones.

Aside from that everything I'm interested in is continuing. A shameful amount of superhero stuff and police procedurals.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Line of Duty is one of the absolute top dramas around

imdb said:
No nudity at all. There is no naked body parts shown ever in this show.

IbS2xAQ.gif

No word on when exactly it airs though, but it is missing from the OT Ratsky (as is a link to my Night Manager OT) :p

Rectified.

Westworld is definitely something I'm interested in, but the production was in turmoil last time I heard. I'm hoping for a spring premiere.

It's 100% not making a spring premiere. Best case scenario would be late summer, but that's also looking extremely unlikely at this point. If it even makes it this year, it'll most likely be in the late fall.

berzeli

Banned
I'll try! (but not before I watch The Last Panthers and The Shadow Line)

But this one is already available to you and as a bonus it's a super light commitment; first series is five episodes and the second consists of six.
It's not like there's anything else to watch these days. Or a backlog of critically acclaimed shows which awaits you.

Oh, and I did try to get into Black Sails, I'm two episodes in and I'm not really feeling it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But this one is already available to you and as a bonus it's a super light commitment; first series is five episodes and the second consists of six.
It's not like there's anything else to watch these days. Or a backlog of critically acclaimed shows which awaits you.

Hm the Hulu version is free too! Maybe I'll have time for it this weekend~

Oh, and I did try to get into Black Sails, I'm two episodes in and I'm not really feeling it.

The first season is pretty weak, especially the first half. The show doesn't actually hit its stride until season 2.

TheOddOne

- Vulture: Matthew Goode and Matthew Rhys Have a Show About Wine That Should Be a Movie Starring You Under the Tuscan Sun.
Matthew Goode and Matthew Rhys drink wine and luxuriate in an Italian villa in a new show, because peak TV means that networks are now developing your dreams. From the sumptuous landscape to Rhys and Goode's gentle flirtation, the show's trailer plays like watching a sequel to Under the Tuscan Sun while tucking into a soft wool blanket.

Developed for ITV, the series is called The Wine Show, because of course it is; everything about The Wine Show radiates beautiful simplicity.
- Trailer.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
HBO is premiering A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness right now on the east coast feed. That's the 40 minute doc about honor killings in Pakistan and the forgiveness loophole, whereby charges against these murderers can be dropped if family members forgive them. It won the Oscar a week ago, if that means something to you. The doc appears to actually be a force for change, with the Pakistani prime minister now saying he wants to change that law.

I wish I could con a network into paying for me to sit around in Italy drinking expensive wine.

berzeli

Banned
Bedrag (Follow The Money) BBC trailer.
I have to say, I'm so damned impressed by auntie beeb's trailer people. Not a single word of dialogue in this trailer, just like with Bron (The Bridge). Got to make sure no one spots a subtitle.

Awesome, will keep an eye out. Hope they come to Walter Presents..
'sup again. I'm looking out for you. I watched the first episode Springfloden (Spring Tide) since it got a favourable review on my favourite website. So far it's mega bland, features the cleanest homeless persons imaginable, and overall wants to be Bron soooo bad. But things supposedly gets better later on, and I'm holding out if nothing else for Johan Widerberg. The only other thing I've watched by them got super weird in the second/third episode so hopefully Spring Tide will as well.
...I kind of want to watch this. Am I bad people?

- First trailer for The Ranch on Netflix
Set in the present day on a Colorado ranch, THE RANCH stars Ashton Kutcher as Colt, a failed semi-pro football player who returns home to run the family ranching business with his older brother Jameson “Rooster” (Danny Masterson) and father Beau (Sam Elliott), whom he hasn’t seen in 15 years. Debra Winger stars as Colt’s and Rooster’s mother, Maggie, who runs the local town bar.
Ooof. Feels like a late 90's sitcom.

- James Gandolfini Passion Project ‘Criminal Justice’ Gets Summer Premiere On HBO, New Title
HBO’s limited series The Night Of (form. Criminal Justice), the passion project of the late James Gandolfini, is set to premiere this summer, the premium cable network announced today. A specific date was not announced.

John Turturro and Riz Ahmed Criminal Justice 2star in the eight-part series, based on Peter Moffat’s Criminal Justice drama series that aired on the BBC in 2008-2009.Steven Zaillian directs and Richard Price is penning the script.

Turturro took over the role of Jack Stone, initially to be played by Gandolfini, in 2014. Robert De Niro committed to succeeding the beloved Sopranos star in the role shortly after Gandolfini’s death, but had to pull out because of scheduling reasons in fall 2013. Gandolfini has a posthumous executive producer credit on the series.

Filmed in and around Manhattan, the series delves into the intricacies of a complex New York City murder case with cultural and political overtones. The story examines the police investigation, the legal proceedings, the criminal justice system and the feral purgatory of Rikers Island, where the accused await trial for felony crimes. Zaillian directs parts 1-3 and 5-8 from teleplays by Price and Zaillian, who executive produce with Jane Tranter and Moffat. James Marsh directs part 4.

The ensemble cast includes The Wire‘s Michael Kenneth Williams, ER‘s Glenne Headly, and The Sopranos’ Max Casella, along with Bill Camp, Jeannie Berlin, Poorna Jagannathan, Payman Maadi, Amara Karan, Sofia Black-D’Elia, Paul Sparks, Ben Shenkman, Afton Williamson, Paulo Costanzo, Ned Eisenberg, Mohammad Bakri, Nabil Elouahabi, Ashley Thomas, Glenn Fleshler, Chip Zien.

L1NETT

yesyesyesyesyeys

Gomorrah, second season: May 10th on Sky Atlantic!

For our American cousins, do give this a wee gander. Fucking top tier TV

SundanceTV has acquired the two existing seasons of the Italian crime drama series Gomorrah from The Weinstein Company.The first 12-episode season is slated to premiere in the U.S. this summer

really pleased for you fo...

Additionally, TWC, which holds the North American rights to the series, is shopping an English-language version

cancel america

Bedrag (Follow The Money) BBC trailer.
I have to say, I'm so damned impressed by auntie beeb's trailer people. Not a single word of dialogue in this trailer, just like with Bron (The Bridge). Got to make sure no one spots a subtitle.

ave it

nordic season is underway

i'm walking aboot saying takk like nobody's business.

berzeli

Banned
I'm looking forward to it!

It's great, make sure to watch the film as well. I think that just like with Fargo, I like the film more but they're both great. But the again it's on Sundance TV so you know it's going to be.

(This post not brought to you by Sundance TV, despite me stanning them for harder than Cornballer stans FX)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cool.

It’s a bit of a shame it's on Hulu though, their programming is solid but they just don’t seem to be reaching audiences.

Yeah, nothing they've done has really made a splash. Difficult People and Casual got some buzz, but those types of shows are usually pretty lowkey anyway. Maybe The Path will be their House of Cards?

TripOpt55

I really want to check out The Path. I really like Katims and the cast seems great too. I don't have Hulu Plus though. I guess I may sign up for a month during the summer to check it out. I'd like to watch Casual too. Maybe that Stephen King show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom