• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Tablet Are You Using?

Shelbutt

So I recently got a laptop but it doubles as a tablet I think? I haven't had much time to mess with it. (laptop bought for school purposes) It's the Lenovo flex 5 and tbh it's wonderful. It's powerful enough to get all I need done, and play some decent games (nothing super strenuous but you get the idea) I love it. Got it on sale for like less than $700 but it's super worth it imo

CobraAB

I’m still browsing the internet with the OG iPad. It BARELY works but somehow it still works. Planning on getting a new one soon though.
I still have an original iPhone. Still works though the battery craps out in less than 30 minutes.

Not really a tablet but Asus Zenbook Flip 15 that can be set in tablet format (I use it in a 45 degree format for tablet). I keep the format in regular desktop mode tho, Tablet Mode in Windows 10 is a tad letdown. Device itself is a beast tho, my desktop replacement basically for work, video, emulation, 3D modeling (eventually). Love the dual Thunderbolt 4 ports included but yeah, its much more a laptop than it is a tablet.

ViolentP

I bought an iPad Pro about 2 months ago and thoroughly enjoy it. Been a great accompaniment to my latest hobby of boardgames and been importing all my Humble books and graphic novels. It's basically my bed device.

Karmic Raze

I ended up buying a green iPad Air 4. Just got it today. I do miss the quad speakers on the Pro, but I can always buy some headphones to remedy that in the future. I’m pretty happy with the Air.

Last edited:

VanEs

I use the 2017 regular iPad. Only use it for casual browsing, book/comic reading and light gaming (think Uno or Chess). Still quite snappy for those purposes so no reason to upgrade yet.

BlackM1st

Banned
i have an 11" pro but that mini is tempting. it makes no sense for me to get it but shit a cellular ipad mini is what i've wanted from smartphones. i have a 12 pro max which is a 6.7" screen but it still feels too small for me. if i could get a iPad Mini and use it as a phone replacement i'd do it. unfortuantly i still rely on phone calls + sms. not everyone can do facetime/imessage.
Fold 3. It's fantastic.

Does the Fold 3 count as a tablet? It's pretty substantial when you unfold it. That's what she said.

This.

Galaxy-Z-Fold3_User-Guide_6.gif

KAL2006

Banned
I bought a S7 Plus. To be honest I paid alot for this I could have got a S6 for £200 cheaper. However because my local trade in shop only had S7 Plus in stock I just went for it. I traded in some of games and accessories that were worth more than I expected such as a Fightstick selling for more than I purchased it. My old Nexus 9 selling for a bit even though it's old and buggy. In the end after my trade ins of old shit I found in the cellar I paid £280.

My main use case for this tablet is for watching 4K HDR movies. There is a android app I use in my TV that allows streaming of all the latest movies and shows. On my TV this app runs beautifully as my TV has HDR. However when using on my Kindle Fire HD the high quality HDR videos look like shit due to outputting HDR on a SDR display. When I googled tablets with HDR Lenovo and Samsung came up. So then I ended up with this overpriced android tablet which I thought I'd never use much.

Now here we are and one thing I can say is the S7 Plus screen is beautiful. In fact the huge OLED screen next to my face looks better than my 65 inch Sony X900H. The sound also isn't too bad but of coure I use headphones. I ended up going into a rabbit hole of other features I can make out of is tablet and it's simply astonishing. The 16:10 aspect ratio is perfect for movies and TV and comics.

I now do the following things on this tablet
- streaming HDR 4K movies and shows using a dodgy streaming app wink wink
- Comic app where the entire page fits on the screen using a dodgy comic app wink wink
- YouTube Vanced, add free YouTube app
- Use as a computer using a mouse and keyboard for Microsoft Word, it has Dex mode which transforms this into a computer interface with pointer.
- Use this as a second screen for my windows laptop if I ever wanted to work away from my office. In my office I have dual screen monitors. But if worked in the kitchen I'd only be stuck with the laptop screen. Now I can carry the tablet with my laptop and use it as a dual monitor setup for a quick portable dual monitor setup.

So this has turned out to be a surpsie for me didn't think an android tablet would have that many use case scenarios but here we are. And I haven't even gotten into the S Pen stuff I'm sure many people buy thks decide for that stuff alone. I haven't even touched emulators (other than DS which works so well with the S Pen), android games, and many other things yet I'm sure there will be many more use case scenarios for this tablet which I will discover.

While I'm posting here anyone can reccomend me decent apps for Android tablets or even websites that work good on tablets.

Last edited:
I got an iPad 2019 with an Apple Pencil a couple months ago and I love it. Great for watching YouTube video and streaming. Great size and battery life; it can last for days without charging if not used heavily. And above all, I use it for digital art (with Procreate). I can't imagine using anything else.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I switch between and use 3 - a Samsung Galaxy Book 2 running Win10onARM, a Galaxy Tab S6 with folio keyboard and pen, and a 2020 iPad 10.2 with pencil. They’re all amazing for their different purposes. Been using Dex a lot lately on the galaxy tab and it’s fantastic.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Still rocking a Xperia Z4 Tablet from 2015
234539052alt4

I haven't had the need to upgrade it so....
Sony made the best Android tablets. I had a Z2 and Z4 and the latter I dropped it and screen shattered. I always liked their slate looks.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Thinking of getting the S8 when it drops.

I'm looking for a powerful android tablet that can play games from the playstore, such as Rome Total War and Company of Heros.

I'm really into tablet gaming at the moment, especially since I've discovered that a lot of paid games, such as Doom, Castlevania and Final Fantasy ports can be played with an Xbox/PS controller.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony made the best Android tablets. I had a Z2 and Z4 and the latter I dropped it and screen shattered. I always liked their slate looks.
I think that's why I've had it so long, I've had no reason to upgrade it.
I remember when I first got, my brother in law saw it and couldn't believe how thin it was compared to his iPad and felt like it weighed nothing.
I wish they'd make a new one

raduque

I have the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, only because the cats broke my Tab S4. I love the S-Pen (and I can use mt Surface 2 Pro pens on it - bonus!), and I can't live without Disconnect Pro, which only works on Samsung devices, thanks to Knox.

KAL2006

Banned
Thinking of getting the S8 when it drops.

I'm looking for a powerful android tablet that can play games from the playstore, such as Rome Total War and Company of Heros.

I'm really into tablet gaming at the moment, especially since I've discovered that a lot of paid games, such as Doom, Castlevania and Final Fantasy ports can be played with an Xbox/PS controller.

There are 3 S8 tablets coming. I heard the most premium version S8 Ultra will have a shortage due to chip production shortage.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
There are 3 S8 tablets coming. I heard the most premium version S8 Ultra will have a shortage due to chip production shortage.

Yeah, the S8 ultra seem like it's going to an absolute monster. However, the price of that thing will be a four figure sum, which is more than I'm willing to pay.

The standard S8 will work for me. I need to be able to play my high end Android games, Like Rome Total War and Company of Heroes. Standard S8 will have the right specs for that. Also, it'll have a smaller screen. The Ultra specs are fantastic, but the screen size is a little too much for me to consider it portable.

Tams

I need a fold with the spen inside it. Miss the note series.
Thankfully the S series flagship (a flagship flagship device - the state of our world these days) is pretty much becoming the Note line in all but name.

But as much as I like the Notes, I've moved onto the Fold. I have an OG one, so I do miss the stylus a lot. I'm not too pleased that they've deliberately stopped other EMR styli working with it through hardware though (they use the normal eraser frequency).

More importantly though, I want that damn 3.5mm socket back, along with a microSD card slot. And an easily replaceable battery would be icing on the cake.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
iPad Pro 12.9" (miniLED model). I wanted a bigger screen and better blacks when I'm in bed watching a movie when I can't sleep.

Shai-Tan

Banned
iPad Pro 2018. Will use until it dies. The only issue is that 4gb ram is a bit small and sometimes causes programs to self terminate and/or reload web pages

the fire tablets I have are only used to put surveillance cameras On screen

for me tablets are just web browsing, plex/Netflix/etc and my phone is messages/calls/podcasts/audio books. No reason to upgrade any of that if it‘s not broke

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fire HD10, checking in. Removed all the Amazon garbage, installed stock Android stuff.

It's my dedicated Tachiyomi device.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Fire HD10, checking in. Removed all the Amazon garbage, installed stock Android stuff.

It's my dedicated Tachiyomi device.
Is there an easy drop in replacment or did you just remove services etc? I think the ones I have may be a bit more useful without performance destroying Amazon crap on it

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is there an easy drop in replacment or did you just remove services etc? I think the ones I have may be a bit more useful without performance destroying Amazon crap on it
I had to just remove all the services, then I installed Nova Launcher on it instead of the default Amazon one (since the launcher is full of bloat as well).

Google "Amazon Fire Toolbox", it's an all-in-one program that can do just about anything as long as you're somewhat familiar with Android.

FairyD

I mainly use my iPad 1. Can't do much with it except read books on the reading apps. You can browse but a lot of sites don't support the browser anymore. Can't go to wikipedia. But it still works for reading ebooks and documents

Tams

Just put a PhotoDon screen protector on my Galaxy Book 10.6.

The reduction in glare is great and the colours don't really seem worse. The included stylus feels great now, but now some of my quite expensive ones feel worse. My LAMY one is design for glossy screens and drags a lot now. My Staedtler is a little worse, but the eraser is almost unusable due to drag. Some older EMR styli feel great too (erasers and all) but they have offset.

Rickyiez

Used to own an IPad Air 3 with Pencil 1. Sold it a month or 2 ago given how little I utilized it. But now I'm thinking to get a Mini or another cheaper tablet for media consumption when I'm not using my desktop and for reading manga and comics.

In a dilemma now whether should I splash the money for the latest mini. The previous mini are quite cheap used but would really try not to regret on getting a smaller screen.

gimmmick

2014 iPad Air 2.

Would love the upgrade since the battery is shot and everything is sluggish but it does YouTube and checks fantasy football for me .

Most likely will purchase another iPad when my son becomes of age to use one. Though since getting a 13 pro max, it kinda makes the iPad useless for me.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I got the iPad this Christmas and love it. I had a fire 8 before and it isn’t even close. The apple tablets are so fast now. I’d recommend looking at the specs that make the high end ones more expensive and then deciding if those additional costs are really a must.

If you have an iPhone it’s really a no brainer too as they tie in together so well

MastAndo

Galaxy S7+. I bought it because I could also use it for work occasionally since it has a desktop mode and could do some drawing on it, which I wanted to get back into doing. Yeah, I watch Netflix on it.

Last edited:

Dural

The Galaxy Tab S7+ has really been great, Samsung just put out the Android 12 update and some updates to One UI came along with it. I've been surprised by how well supported it has been considering it's an Android tablet. It now has the ability from the settings menu to make all apps show up in widescreen and force them to work in side by side. That was added several months back, I was using a third party app before that.

Top Bottom