• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the *bleeping* hell is going on with IGN

ehead

I had to check it out. The ad banner on the front page is very intrusive, I thought it was actual content at first. Otherwise, I think it's fine.

I had to check it out. The ad banner on the front page is very intrusive, I thought it was actual content at first. Otherwise, I think it's fine.

It looks like some generic click bait site, all the nice graphics have been stripped and the layout is fucked

How the hell can you like it

At least the layout for the individual platforms is saved. And they look nice, inviting and well designed. There was no need to change it

Grinchy

Banned
Honestly, what's the point of using review sites anymore? It seems to mostly just be journalism graduates who barely even play games who just write up their reviews the same way they bullshitted their way through college with essays.

llien

As someone who dislikes "mobile first" designs, I can only sigh. A lot of things are done just because they feel "trendy".

Shifty

Good old metrics-driven design. Keep iterating on something that works perfectly well because the people upstairs are demanding that more money is generated from the userbase, eventually turning it into a goddamn mess.

It'll collapse under its own weight eventually.

Zimmy68

Unless I am looking at something different, I think it is a huge improvement over the stupid, "2012 called and they want their flash story pages back".
Shadow of War Review... whoops, you missed it, it will come around again!

This looks nice and clean to me.

Hopefully they refresh the horrible iPad app.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

IGN?

long_time_star_wars.gif

Unless I am looking at something different, I think it is a huge improvement over the stupid, "2012 called and they want their flash story pages back".
Shadow of War Review... whoops, you missed it, it will come around again!

This looks nice and clean to me.

Hopefully they refresh the horrible iPad app.

Click into a specific platform eg http://au.ign.com/nintendo and it's still the old design. Thank God

Last edited:

ehead

It looks like some generic click bait site, all the nice graphics have been stripped and the layout is fucked

How the hell can you like it

Not saying I like it but I kinda see what they're trying to do. It will be a slog to navigate at first for sure but I'm guessing they'll add some quick links there later.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
I'm not seeing any banner ads but it is probably because I use an ad blocker. Site does look clean but boy do I dislike mobile/tablet based layouts. Such a waste of space.

Blam

Wow wee they took their great design, and completely mobilized and made it look like just trash imo.

MultiCore

It looks like they've given up.
I wonder if things are really that dire.
If I didn't know better, I'd say their domain was parked and redirecting to clickbait ads.

TimFL

I stopped browsing IGN years ago but just checked it out. The non-US site still has the old design it seems but I vastly prefer the new design.
Their old design was too cluttered and overloaded with info/links. The new site has a way better structure, easier to get to news etc.

I don't see any ads, almost every site I browse has adblockers active.

Silvawuff

It looks -way- better with an adblocker. I do agree the content is pretty boring/lacking/clickbaity. IGN isn't my first choice when looking up gamestuff anyway.

Nevadatan

tried to load the site and got redirected to the latam subsite. hate when they do that shit, i typed "ign.com" not "latam.ign.com",

and it was moot because the subsite is just a blank page.

10/10 ign

Alebrije

tried to load the site and got redirected to the latam subsite. hate when they do that shit, i typed "ign.com" not "latam.ign.com",

and it was moot because the subsite is just a blank page.

10/10 ign

Yep , same to me ....this is crap since you are obligated to search again and look for real link. Saddly a trend on a lot of brands

mikestrife

I get redirected to ca.ign.com and it looks really bare, like a bad wordpress theme. Probably looks great on mobile, but the desktop experience is crap.

I wonder if they're analytics just showed so much of their traffic was coming from mobile that they decided who cares how the desktop looks.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What did it look like before? It's been so long I don't remember.

Looking at it now, it looks to be adopting mobile-first design principles. That's where everyone should be going considering more and more web content is being viewed on smaller screens. Statistically, most people aren't surfing the web on their monster gaming rigs and game consoles. They're doing it in their phones and tablets and IGN seems to have embraced that.

What they have is fairly bland, but it wouldn't be hard to spice it up.

Top Bottom