• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell happened to Taito?

bitwise

Banned
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4685

The publisher has also announced a new deal with Japanese firm Taito which will see the 2005 launch of Taito Arcade Classics on PS2, Xbox and PC in both Europe and the USA, featuring 30 of the best Taito arcade titles from the last 20 years - including Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Operation Wolf.

rejoice!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
They're apparently involved with making really shitty PS2 Ys ports for Nihon Falcom these days. :lol

VALIS

bitwise said:
The publisher has also announced a new deal with Japanese firm Taito which will see the 2005 launch of Taito Arcade Classics on PS2, Xbox and PC in both Europe and the USA, featuring 30 of the best Taito arcade titles from the last 20 years - including Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Operation Wolf.

Oh sweet crap, that's outstanding!! Off to search for speculation on the 30, unless someone has a link for me... (edit: besides the GAF thread, which I just read)

Taito isn't dead by any means; they just don't have a US publishing branch or a long-term deal with a US publisher any more.

So half their games don't make it to the US, and when they do, it's little companies like Mastiff publishing it.

Tabris

Didn't they make Lufia?

Combine that with Bust a Move and Bubble Bobble and you have my vote for "this developer rocks!"

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think they only published it. And only some of them, at that.

I forget the name of Lufia's dev. Neversoft? Neverland? Never-something?

Edit - Neverland, Co.

Taito games were the best games Acclaim ever published.

Taito's been busy lately - the new PC/XP-based Type-X arcade hardware is theirs, and they've been publishing and distributing lots of new shooters and compilations of older ones. All JP-only, of course (aside from Shikigami 2).

Benedict

I emailed Empire some weeks ago about the collection. At that time they had now answers to my questions (releasedate, games, online, PSP, DS etc) and asked me to contact them again in a couple of months...
So it seems quite shaky at the moment, regarding the title, and it will not be out for some time.

Which is no fun since Taito spells s u m m e r in my dictionary .

Fongul

Well they're not dead by any means, but it seems like they're one of those companies that could not keep up with the development cost going to the current realm of systems.

Bujingai was a great game IMHO. I had a chance to play around with their recent release Tsukiyo Ni Sarabu, which is an DMC inspired action game with lots of Matrix influence (bullet time, gunplay and kung fu). They have quite a few shooters coming down the pike plus Space Invaders for the DS as well.

Just check their homepage here

Oh, there's nothing wrong with Bujingai - aside from some imbalance in the level design, namely stacking all the platforming aspects in the last level or two. I just don't believe it was all that well received in the US. :/

EBwiz

That's the power of GACKT!

Seriously though, Bujiginkai or however the heck you spell it was a huge disapointment to me. It was demoed at Otakon 2004, and me and my group of friends thought it looked like the best thing ever and were sorely disapointed when playing it. Aside from the fact that it's just plain rediculous, level design is the same thing every time, there's no variety to anything you do... it's just an awful, awful game.

Oh well... FLY!!! :lol

Top Bottom