• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell is going on at Hello Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aenima

Wait so Sean still hasn't said anything at all since release? No interviews or anything unofficial?

He/ Hello Games, made a post in the oficial site. Saying something in the lines of they rather keep working on the game than saying anything at the moment.

Wait so Sean still hasn't said anything at all since release? No interviews or anything unofficial?

I think it's pretty clear that they don't want to make a bad situation worse, though it's debatable whether complete silence is actually a good idea in that respect. But either way, they're obviously working on a huge patch, and I'd expect them to publicly address the controversy when they release that.

Guys, you do know that the only reason the Advertising Standards Authority are investigating No Man's Sky is because a few gamers reported it to them, right? It usually takes only a handful of complaints for the ASA to investigate an advert, and the majority of complaints are not upheld, just look at this report from 2015:

https://www.asa.org.uk/News-resources/Media-Centre/2016/2015-most-complained-about-ads.aspx

One complaint upheld, out of ten. The No Man's Sky thing will go nowhere.

Honest question, did they release the stats on this or something? Wondering how you would know that it was just a few, and what a few is to you.

Regaurdless, I don't know what this is trying to prove. It's still something that HG have to deal with no matter if it pans out or not. We consumers should try to use every avenue available to us to stick it to the businesses who try to pull crap like this.

You can already see the ramifications for what they pulled and the backlash thereafter with the way that devs are beginning to even quote the NMS debacle, letting their fanbase know that they want to handle things differently and as transparently as possible. If people just backed down simply because they thought it was hopeless from the start then none of this would have happened. You would just have your normal group of trolls and idiots who send death threats. That stuff happens all the time in this day and age. Thing is, just because a dev is receiving them from asshats doesn't mean that it excuses the devs from the terrible practices that they where employing. And it certainly doesn't mean that we should be any less hard on them for it.

Stupid people are taking this too far and that is an entirely different issue. I see the discussion getting dangerously close to lumping that group in with the people who should be genuinely upset and are voicing that appropriately or at least in an non-harmful manner.

Not all of that was pointed at you btw, I just thought it needed to be said.

LurkingFear

Behind the closed doors at Hello Games...

KYh01gq.gif

Enelby

Neo Member
I'll tell you one fact about this picture that not many people have mentioned.

This is how most buildings look in Le Grande Britannia.

I think it's pretty clear that they don't want to make a bad situation worse, though it's debatable whether complete silence is actually a good idea in that respect. But either way, they're obviously working on a huge patch, and I'd expect them to publicly address the controversy when they release that.

You saw that their office is basically abandoned and key staff aren't working currently? Unless I missed something in the thread, that info is in the OP.

Honest question, did they release the stats on this or something? Wondering how you would know that it was just a few, and what a few is to you.

All I mean is that the ASA exists to investigate consumer complaints about advertising. If people complain, they will investigate. Whether it's 1000 people or 1 person it makes no difference, the ASA will investigate all the same. It's not like going to court or something- there is no sort of threshold which has to be met before the ASA will look into something. The complaint doesn't even have to be credible. I'd say there is a 0.0000001% chance that the ASA will uphold any complaints about No Man's Sky. The 'proof' about them 'deliberately misleading everyone' is beginning to feel like a Gamergate-style conspiracy theory, and it's embarrassing for everyone involved.

Y'all are really surprised that a community manager would leave after the toxic shitstorm of hatred directed at Hello and anyone who is at all a public face of the company? Even Innes has gotten harassed and he's just a developer there. Wouldn't be surprised if Innes needed a break from all that and that's why he went on a speaking tour.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can't make this shit up ... Oh, wait, you can.

And people wonder why Sean Murray isn't saying anything. I hope he and his team made a ton of money because I'm frigin' sick of this witch hunt.

You saw that their office is basically abandoned and key staff aren't working currently? Unless I missed something in the thread, that info is in the OP.

Have you not read any of the thread? The guy who took that photo (on a saturday), said that it looked exactly the same as it did three months ago, that there are still reserved parking spaces for Hello Games, and that there is absolutely no evidence that Hello Games have moved out.

You know, I'm actually not so sure they are. They might actually be doing nothing at all. Hello Games may not exist right now.

How likely do you think that is, really? They just released one of the biggest selling games of the year, which has a score of 71 on Metacritic, not a critical disaster by any means- just a mediocre game.

Yeah, there has been a bit of a PR disaster, but it really hasn't received much coverage in the mainstream media. Compare that to the negative coverage of Palmer Luckey, which has been ALL over the mainstream media. Do you think that Occulus is going to cease to exist as a company because of it, even if a few people start to boycott their products? Of course they won't.

However badly core gamers have reacted to NMS, thousands upon thousands more casual gamers bought it and enjoyed it, and didn't even think about how it was made or about whether there were missing features. Hello Games will be fine.

Rembrandt

Banned
You can't make this shit up ... Oh, wait, you can.

And people wonder why Sean Murray isn't saying anything. I hope he and his team made a ton of money because I'm frigin' sick of this witch hunt.

You were defending the game before launch and still manage to end up in certain threads. Why not just stick to the OT?

Sparse

I don't blame them for working from home due to received threats, and because anyone can stroll up to their office like that.

Wow look at that office. That's... depressing.
It's what's inside that counts. Here, and in life.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Please. Don't act like the disingenuous presentation of that question pre-launch is any more justified now just because a ton of features talked about ended up not being in the final game. That doesn't make any sense.

Um. Yes it does?

This ridiculously high level of backlash directly correlates to the treatment received by those who weren't lavishing ridiculous amounts of praise and hype on this game pre-release. Especially here. So many bannings. Which was ridiculous.

Um. Yes it does?

This ridiculously high level of backlash directly correlates to the treatment received by those who weren't lavishing ridiculous amounts of praise and hype on this game pre-release. Especially here. So many bannings. Which was ridiculous.

It doesn't, at all. It's at no fault of any onlooker that the devs misled about features that would be in the game by launch. Which is why there's such a backlash in the first place.

All I mean is that the ASA exists to investigate consumer complaints about advertising. If people complain, they will investigate. Whether it's 1000 people or 1 person it makes no difference, the ASA will investigate all the same. It's not like going to court or something- there is no sort of threshold which has to be met before the ASA will look into something. The complaint doesn't even have to be credible. I'd say there is a 0.0000001% chance that the ASA will uphold any complaints about No Man's Sky. The 'proof' about them 'deliberately misleading everyone' is beginning to feel like a Gamergate-style conspiracy theory, and it's embarrassing for everyone involved.

No, it really is credible. Just read the steam blubs from the store pagee... This exerpt I stole from reddit for just one example...

Code:
[LIST]
[/LIST][LIST]
[*]In No Man's Sky, every star is the light of a distant sun, each orbited by planets filled with life, and you can go to any of them you choose.
[/LIST]
Skybox star is the only thing that orbits.

[LIST]
[*]Fly smoothly from deep space to planetary surfaces, with no loading screens, and no limits.
[/LIST]

Literally not true, your ship can never exist in deep space. You can't fly out of systems manually.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It doesn't, at all. It's at no fault of any onlooker that the devs misled about features that would be in the game by launch.

I don't entirely agree.

We had all seen plenty of footage. Most of which just didn't change over the course. "What do you do in this game?" was a completely 100% justified question to ask based on what we SAW as opposed to what we were being told.

Sparse

You think it looks any better inside?
Of course. Trading estates exteriors always look god-awful. That front is similar to some I'd see for carpet fitter and decorator trade entrances. It's not meant to look pretty. You can work some magic on their interiors, even if it's fixed plan.

The PS4 update history for the game says there have been 9 updates. The notes are quite humorous, the first 8 just say "Bug fixes" but then update 1.09 reads "More bug fixes."

Someone is working on these patches as the last one was released mid September.

I don't entirely agree.

We had all seen plenty of footage. Most of which just didn't change over the course. "What do you do in this game?" was a completely 100% justified question to ask based on what we SAW as opposed to what we were being told.

Anyone asking the question genuinely is always fine. It's just people asked the question disingenuously, which would result in the same circular discussion with the poster revealing "I've seen this, it just sounds/looks boring". Which is a fine opinion, but people should have said that up front rather than saying "what do you doo". Stating it in that way was just inflammatory and counterproductive to discussion, and needlessly derailed a bunch of threads. It muddied up the whole meaning behind that question because people who actually did genuinely not know anything about it would be confused as to why they're getting hostile replies, because it became hard to tell the true intent behind the person asking the question. The usage of that question in such a way is not somehow vindicated just because the game ended up disappointing the people who were anticipating it since a ton of features/elements previously shown off/talked about were missing from the final game. I still think the game would be great for me and many of the people who anticipated it if it were actually what they said it would be.

AAK

Please stop stalking developers because you didn't like their game.

The vendetta is beyond ridiculous at this point. I know people have the right to be angry about their purchase but trying to personally track the developers down on the street is some next level animosity.

The vendetta is beyond ridiculous at this point. I know people have the right to be angry about their purchase but trying to personally track the developers down on the street is some next level animosity.

From earlier in the thread,

Just got back from skimming through that sub Reddit and it seems that these people where asked by the community to go and check on the building since they lived nearby because a "Whistlebower" was posting that the studio was abandoned and stuff. Looks like they where just doing some quick investigative work for kicks and giggles since they where nearby anyway. Whether or not the pics mean anything is another story. But it does seem from several reports that the building has looked empty all day. I don't know how odd that would be for an active studio myself but I'm sure they are going to be keeping an eye on it over the next couple days.

Honestly, my first thought after looking at the pics was that they are going to track that crap all over the office if they don't sweep it up lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom