• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of art style do you prefer in video games?

I gravitate towards weeby anime art styles nowadays but anything that is cartoony and colourful works, except for cel shading which I can't stand.

I also play my fair share of realistically styled games and they often look great when they are fresh and new but age like milk compared to games that don't aim for photo-realism.

Hoppa

Don’t really have a preference but if it has an anime art style then I’m probably not playing it unless it’s a fighting game or I hear particularly good things about it (like Fire Emblem Three Houses or Triangle Strategy)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I love JRPGs and Japanese games in general, but I hate the anime style graphics. I deal with it, because those are my favorite types of games, but I wish they adopt more original designs.
Me 2

I love JRPGs and Japanese games in general, but I hate the anime style graphics. I deal with it, because those are my favorite types of games, but I wish they adopt more original designs.

I'm somewhat the opposite. I think JRPGs as a genre are mid(not bad) but keep feeling compelled to play more and more of them because I like the anime aesthetic so much.

Crayon

I'm open to anything with a few exceptions. Most notably that wow/Fortnite/mobile cartoony style. Only the very best character designs can rescue that.

Strangely, anime and manga styles still register as a kind of default for games because of the 8 and 16 bit days.

Oh yeah, if theres one style that really grinds my gears it's pixelated. I could understand those graphics for games made in the 20th century but there is no excuse nowadays. It doesn't look quirky, it just looks ugly to me. Lazy at worst, nostalgia pandering at best. I usually don't place too much of an emphasis on visuals but it's an automatic skip for me. That's just my two cents though.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I tend to lean toward realistic visuals. I mean, they're not actually photoreal, but I guess it's enough for my imagination to envision it all as real. Stuff like STALKER, ya know, it's not nearly as realistic-looking as a newer game, but that sort of artistic direction just gets me. I guess I like the grit? And I like the immersion.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can enjoy both colourful cell shaded visuals
Granblue-Fantasy-ReLink.jpg

And darker tone visuals.
final-fantasy-xvi-7

begotten

Honestly I like all art-styles, it's not what determines what games I play.

But in saying that I love pixelart the most, whether it's retro (eg. Mega Man, Castlevania, Suikoden) or modern (Blasphemous, Triangle Strategy, Shredders Revenge)

Gobjuduck

Banned
I like painterly art style games. Especially Ori, and vanilla ware games. Even when it’s subtle in 3d like sea of thieves, and dishonored. I respect the artistic direction that’s unique and consistent. Recently, Bayonetta origins has a nice painterly water color style that is pretty.

I like mostly everything but realism. Realism is just a technical flex and has little artistic merit. It’s discipline without freedom, and it’s ultimately uninteresting. Usually the most marketed games are this way. Getting a product and not an artistic vision.

Pixel artstyles are very hit and miss for me, most of the time it’s boring.

Kinda hate doll style anime stuff, where characters look cookie cutter and plastic. YS and Trials of Cold Steel come to mind.

Hate tumbler-esque indie game art, like whatever the fuck volcano high is.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Depends on the game.

For racing I want photo realism.

For everything else I would gladly take
a stylized and smooth comics style or Pixar look; Hi-Fi Rush, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Zelda BOTW/TOTK.

In general I don’t like realism when there is too much violence and gore, I was into that when I was 10-14, at 47 it’s just annoying pubertal nonsense that make it hard to play the games since I’m not alone in the house.

I’m over pixel art though. I already lived through that whole era, I don’t want any of that back except for the gameplay in some games.

I love what Capcom are doing with Street Figher right now. For me it’s close to artistic perfection. A side-scrolling SF themed beat’em up like Final Fight with the whole list of SF characters would be my dream game. Do it Capcom! And sell it with an included high quality arcade stick too with awesome art. 👌

Banned
due to recent events... this

HFR-keyart.webp

said recent event being the game coming out lol.
but tbh even before that, Jet Set Radio and Sunset Overdrive were my 2 favourite games in terms of style.
Hifi Rush simply took that style and polished it to a degree that was previously simply unheard of

Last edited:

Warablo

Gritty realistic usually, but a game like Ghost of Tsushima or Witcher 3 can hit the spot.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Pretty much down for all art styles, but some require additional requisites.
If it looks like Streets of Rage 4, Hollow Knight, or Ghost 'n Goblins Resurrection, the frames of animation need to be significantly higher.

Last edited:

MujkicHaris

HnB3l7f.png

0oTVVAl.jpg
fCKMnUm.jpg

First thing I notice in a game are its environments. I am a big fan of games with handpainted painterly environment textures and properly modeled foliage.

When it comes to realism Half-Life 2, Mass Effect 2, TES IV: Oblivion, Metro 2033 Redux, Elden Ring, Days Gone have beautiful aesthetics.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I like more minimalistic art styles. 3d is fine. More detail is fine if the scenes seem well composed and not visually hard to read. I prefer first person or fixed/overhead because the trailing third person character often messes up the scenes.

I don't really like it when games have bonus concept art to collect, but I do like it when there is art in different styles of the same characters or objects used in menus or cutscenes.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
any artstyle that looks good and pleasant. I have no specific "art style"

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm a fan of anime style visuals (if done well) they are a type of stylising which means that games tend to look better for longer.

When you push the boundaries of photorealism it's going to look dated in 10 years, but a stylised game can look good for over double that.

megaman legends was released 25 years ago... its looking dated now, but if you put it against say a game of the same time frame and style like the original tomb raider it's a hell of alot better looking and looked good in my eyes well into the PS2 era.

In the same vein I don't think 13 sentinels will ever look dated. People in 20 years time will be able to play it and think it looks beautiful.

Probably something that trends more towards a vibrant, cartoony style, or a painted, whimsical look. Much more Diablo 3 than Path of Exile. Much more Ori than Salt and Sanctuary.
The opposite of grimdark, pretty much. Not interested in photo-real or gritty styles generally at all. But not totally against something more tonally dark or realistic especially if the art design is interesting and really cohesive, and pops, ala Elden Ring or RDR2 respectively.

It is hard to say if there is a particular style I like more than others. I think what contributes to a good art style is cohesion. Kena is a good example of this where everything from the characters to just ordinary objects look like they belong in the same world. I can say that I really don't like games like Fire Emblem Engage that mix more realistically rendered backgrounds with anime/cell shaded characters. It is a trend that doesn't look good in my opinion. It's why Pixar's Good Dinosaur always looked odd.

One art style that absolutely floored me recently was Signalis. It's the kind of "modern take on retro PS1" I never knew I wanted that badly. It just looks absolutely fantastic to me and I really hope we'll see more of this in the future.

Humdinger

I don't know how to describe it. Natural, beautiful. Danjin's first pic would be one example, Horizon ZD would be another.

I find it easier to describe what I do not like -- the grimdark stuff that is so popular, and anything that it is too "busy." The image posted above by 01011001 would be an example of the latter. That just makes my head hurt, lol.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
due to recent events... this

HFR-keyart.webp

said recent event being the game coming out lol.
but tbh even before that, Jet Set Radio and Sunset Overdrive were my 2 favourite games in terms of style.
Hifi Rush simply took that style and polished it to a degree that was previously simply unheard of

jet-set-radio-future-obs64_2021-09-24_23-24-03-152.jpg

NSwitchDS_OkamiHd_01.jpg

gravity-rush-2-screen-05-ps4-us-14jun16.jpeg

FtHALh3aIAAl3ra

Awwww :goog_smile_face_eyes::goog_smile_face_eyes::goog_smile_face_eyes:

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I commend good graphics, considering the power of todays consoles all I see are good graphics (MLB The Show, Yakuza, Battlefield V) you have the borderlands style graphics that gives out a vibe, ratchet and clank claims to be an art style.

GymWolf

I commend good graphics, considering the power of todays consoles all I see are good graphics (MLB The Show, Yakuza, Battlefield V) you have the borderlands style graphics that gives out a vibe, ratchet and clank claims to be an art style.
I was expecting something like "different videogames have different artstyles" from you.

Fuz

Banned
To each its own.

Except "flash-like"*. That needs to go excting yesterday.

* Refer to my old rants for details.

Last edited:
Top Bottom