• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of art style do you prefer in video games?

As long as they match the game I don't really have a preference, I've loved games with all types of art styles, maybe in minority but I've never really thought of art style as some major plus or minus to a game, half the time I'm so immersed I barely think about it

begotten

Gritty grey brown edgy like Gears of War 1 , The Darkness, Dark Sector, Condemned etc. fuck i miss the 360 era

Gears of War 1 originally being a dark horror with characters like General RAAM and the game being mostly at night, and then seeing it become some bright colourful woke shit is sad.

Caio

FromSoftware art style/level design. I'm owned. Can't stop playing Elden Ring, I love it(off Topic I know :D )

Aaron Olive

Realistic art style.

This forgotten gem from Remedy, looking forward to the Sequel.
dPMyDGX.jpg

4dTvfuk.jpg
Tpyi7Jo.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gears of War 1 originally being a dark horror with characters like General RAAM and the game being mostly at night, and then seeing it become some bright colourful woke shit is sad.
Yeah, for me there is gears of war 1, and then the inferior sequels.

Trilobit

I love games that give me art styles that I didn't even know I wanted

This is actually what I like about Minecraft. I remember a time when I scoffed at how basic it looked, but when I actually tried it out I loved how much it left out to my imagination. It was actually more immersive because of it.

Colorful and stylized. Give me more Wind Wakers and Katamari Damacys.

If there has ever been a time when I reacted over how much the artstyle added to the experience it was with Wind Waker. It was like being in a Saturday morning cartoon. It almost broke my mind how gorgeous it was at some times.

Realistic art style.

This forgotten gem from Remedy, looking forward to the Sequel.
dPMyDGX.jpg

4dTvfuk.jpg
Tpyi7Jo.jpg

I played this walking simulator:

It's more like an exhibition for brutalism as a concept. I loved it! Brutalism is so heftily raw and gives me certain feelings no other architecture gives. Would love to see more games with that style.

I'm an old codger, I still love my pixel art games. The newer stuff like Triangle Strategy and Octopath is ocular heaven for me and my nostalgia receptors.

all of it really, provided its inoffensive on a technical level and artistically/compositionally interesting.

...easily annoyed by anime stuff though. sometimes the overall aesthetic is fine (valkyria chronicals), other times it's a cheese fest (blood vein) and my body says no.

Mozzarella

I prefer art style that reflects on the game themes and add to the environmental storytelling, so it doesnt matter which style it is, as long as it has depth i like it better, i have nothing against good eye candy visuals though, i only hate ugly art style lol.

SSfox

I usually like mix between realistic but not too realistic, like Tekken, RE or MGS , but i can like others types, depends on types of games too. Like usually i find a lot of anime games shitty but Genshin Impact is really a masterpiece, it shows that if the devs knows their shit no matter what artstyle if they do it right it's gonna be awesome.

Just good graphics, something like Elden Ring for example (maxed on PC obviously). The re-release of The Witcher 3 is something i like as well.

I guess graphics that tend to tilt towards realism is something i have a preference for.

mopspear

Oh yeah, if theres one style that really grinds my gears it's pixelated. I could understand those graphics for games made in the 20th century but there is no excuse nowadays. It doesn't look quirky, it just looks ugly to me. Lazy at worst, nostalgia pandering at best. I usually don't place too much of an emphasis on visuals but it's an automatic skip for me. That's just my two cents though.
It saves a butt load of development time especially if you're a solo developer. I hate pixel graphics that "miss the point." Are pixelated on purpose but fail to look even close to authentically old.

Lethal01

image.png
image.png

image.png

guiltygear2020-screenshot2.jpg
ggstrive-beta-screenshot-april2020-3.jpg

mega-man-legends-2-3.png
mega-man-legends-2-4.png

Dragons-Crown-Pro-4K-Screenshot-2.jpg
Dragons-Crown-Pro-4K-Screenshot-1.jpg

3b7a74e69bca136ad57a6affd02cf4f2740319c1.jpeg
shinobi3_cb_off9kkaw.jpg

Fb0iMLX.jpg

Stylized art in general is the best, I specifically like 3D animestyled art. since 30 years ago there was timeless stuff that looks just as great today as it did back then where as we still can't get a realistic game that looks truly realistic.
Tone wise I love the darkest to the lightest, for setting I like retrocyberpunk/steam punk where there is a mix of magic and tech.

Last edited:
It saves a butt load of development time especially if you're a solo developer. I hate pixel graphics that "miss the point." Are pixelated on purpose but fail to look even close to authentically old.
I guess so although there are lots of indie games with beautiful polygon graphics like Rogue Legacy 2 or Streets of Rage 4. I can understand if its a solo developer rather than a small team.

Top Bottom