• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the best gaming deal you ever got?

Crayon

Panzer Dragoon Saga brand new for $30. There were ten there and I was one of the first videogame speculators. I would have bought them all but I was that broke. Besides: "yeah that will be worth a couple hundred bucks one of these days."

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

PS Portal.

Edit because people like Ogbert Ogbert might miss the point:

With Portal I can play at any time without getting complaints from my girl that she can't watch tv, or I can play on PS5 when I'm in bed without having to buy another PS5 for in the bedroom.

The convenience easily makes this the best deal, since it's also a great device for only €220.
99% of my playtime is currently on Portal, so it's more than just a peripheral for occasional use to me.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Share the best gaming haul you’ve ever got.

Just picked all of these up for £20:

9b03FNB.jpg

wpoHBGO.jpg

ezawl45.jpg
I’ll never get better. Facebook market place, crack heads most likely. Bought individual plastic mini cases and sold them all separately for over £300.

MastAndo

In the summer of '96, I reserved an N64 at Toys R Us for $30. I walk in on launch day and they just handed me the system at the check out window and didn't ask for any money. In hindsight, it wasn't the most ethical thing to do to just walk out of the store, but being 14 years old, I wasn't thinking on that level. Turns out years later, the financial consequences of my actions would rock the very core of this beloved retailer as they would file for bankruptcy and shut down all locations. It still pains me to think about the damage I've done, but yeah, an N64 for $30.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
About 10 years ago, I bought a collection of SNES games + console, controllers, hookups, etc. on eBay for $100. It was a buy it now auction, and that's the price they had set. I just happened to be looking at something else, and had my view sorted by "newly listed" when I saw it pop up, so I bought it instantly. It was only listed for about 20 seconds. It came with almost 30 games.

For $100 I got stuff like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2 and 3, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Mario World, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, Mega Man X, and lots of other great titles. Since a lot of them were duplicates of games I already had, I sold most of them. The less rare games + console I repackaged and sent to my nephews for Christmas that year.

Recently I've bought some physical Xbox 360 games that are compatible with Series X, including The Orange Box and Driver San Francisco at quite a cheap price and in good condition (e.g. both were around ~€10 a piece).

Ogbert

In the mid 90s, I bought, what I *think*, is an original(ish) Street Fighter 2 arcade cabinet from a taxi company in Watford. The place was shutting down and I used to go in there on the way back from school and they asked me if I wanted it. Convinced my dad to buy it.

It’s the CE, so I must have bought it in around 95, I guess. No idea if it’s worth anything. Still works. It’s in my parents’ garage.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got an Xbox Series S from GameStop for free when they screwed up their holiday sale a couple of years ago. I put it in dev mode and run emulators on it and it's great.

When Steam Deck OLED released I was able to buy and flip enough original models to get a Deck for free.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is insane, the seller must be mom of a helplessly addicted son.
She actually lived in a fairly deprived part of my City. But not the worst by any stretch. The smell of weed was strong when she opened the door. She was about my age. I just said to her ‘are you sure you want to sell them to me at this price?’ and she said yes because one or two of her kids Switches were broke. Seemed bizarre to me but if I didn’t get them someone else would have.

Last edited:

rm082e

Corny, but serious:

When I bought the PS2, I was pretty surprised it was fully backwards compatible. I tested out all of my games to make sure it was the real deal. Then I packed up my PS1 and gave it to the poor kid who lived across the street from me with a couple of games I didn't want anymore (Gran Turismo 2 was one of them).

He had a completely shocked face - couldn't believe what was happening. He was probably 11 and I think his favorite toy was a stick he would swing around in his yard. His Mom came out to check and make sure he wasn't lying. I explained the situation and she tried to refute it saying it was "too much". I insisted. She got all teary eyed and hugged me. Every time I would see him from then on, he got a big smile and waved to me. It was a great feeling.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
In dollars God Hand for 5$ with excellent disc and manual.

God_Hand_%282006_Playstation_2%29_video_game_cover_art.jpg

Metroid prime GC for 2$ same excellent disc and manual.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 Xbox for 5$ disc and manual excellent.

Haunting ground with manual and disc for 20$.

Dragon Quest VIII for 10 dollars ps2 .my hobby is find rare games

I miss the Blockbuster travels in Mexico.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I'm gonna give you a lucky deal and huge mistake I did.

The Good: I got all these PS2 games in 2021 for 100€. I was browsing a local website where people sell their stuff and got recommended this lot. The ad. was only 2 minutes old and the guy was only a 15 minutes drive from my house. All complete and in great condition, contacted the seller, met him 30 minutes later. Done! My greatest deal for sure.

wZ7EUlq.jpeg

Now my big fuck up. I started collecting PS3 games in 2018 and build myself a very decent collection in about a year. Got bored of collecting one day, didn't want to sell them one by one so I put this lot on sale for 250€. One guy contacted me and offered me 220. I said yes, one hour later my collection was gone.
EWmRStW.jpeg

What Have I Done Cat GIF

intbal

1. A free N64 from my brother-in-law
2. Disciples: Sacred Lands, Gold Edition for $4.99 (thousands of hours of gameplay)
3. Otogi 2, new and sealed for $4.99 from Ebay

p1_30704155358507.JPG

---------------------

MCC is a great deal at pretty much any price, but for $20 or less, it's a ton of content.

---------------------

I remember getting Ikaruga from GameStop for like $10. When I went in to get it, the cashier said, "damn, I didn't even know we had this" and I could tell he was disappointed he hadn't taken it first. Another good deal I got was a pretty much unused Wii U with 4 limited edition "Mario" themed motion plus controllers with 4 or 5 games for $75. It was right before Breath of the Wild had come out and I couldn't get a Switch anywhere.

Last edited:

Trunx81

A nearly mint Game Boy Pocket with 10 games for 20€
New GameCube for 99€ with 5 games and two controllers
New PSP Go with 10 Games (jk, it was expensive as hell but a neat system ahead of it´s time)

kiphalfton

I'm gonna give you a lucky deal and huge mistake I did.

The Good: I got all these PS2 games in 2021 for 100€. I was browsing a local website where people sell their stuff and got recommended this lot. The ad. was only 2 minutes old and the guy was only a 15 minutes drive from my house. All complete and in great condition, contacted the seller, met him 30 minutes later. Done! My greatest deal for sure.

wZ7EUlq.jpeg

Now my big fuck up. I started collecting PS3 games in 2018 and build myself a very decent collection in about a year. Got bored of collecting one day, didn't want to sell them one by one so I put this lot on sale for 250€. One guy contacted me and offered me 220. I said yes, one hour later my collection was gone.
EWmRStW.jpeg

What Have I Done Cat GIF

Don't feel bad, I sold pretty much my entire mint PS2 collection for $3 per game. I was a kid and stupid/desperate.

Don't feel bad, I sold pretty much my entire mint PS2 collection for $3 per game. I was a kid and stupid/desperate.
After trying and mostly succeeding to recoup all my childhood memories via Ebay I vowed to never sell my consoles/vidoegames again. That Steel Battalion controller still eludes me....

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Bought an Xbox 360 for 60 Canada bucks, played it for a few years, and then traded it as is for a Wii U

Wasn't the longest console life but for 60 bucks, pretty amazing, got to play BoTW and a few others.

Mr Hyde

Got Afrika on PS3 for like 2 bucks I think on a flea market. The selection of games the seller had was only mainstream shit like Fifa, NHL and CoD, and then Afrika, just sitting there completely out of place. I grabbed it immediately because I knew it was rare. The game is now worth a small fortune. I've never seen this game anywhere else, it's like a unicorn in the PS3 library.

X9Si7E6.jpg

kiphalfton

After trying and mostly succeeding to recoup all my childhood memories via Ebay I vowed to never sell my consoles/vidoegames again. That Steel Battalion controller still eludes me....

Haha, yeah I just paid $70 for a shitty condition copy of Minish Cap.

After seeing the lackluster stock of physical games in stores, I've been more selective of what I sell.

Midn1ght

I've bought and sold my physical games several times. I'm primarily on PC so there are times when I just look at some expensive games I got and go "why the hell do I do this, I'll probably never play these or can get them on PC for dirt cheap".

But then I fall into another Youtube collectors rabbit hole and start all over again.

I can't help it.

No Way Out Running GIF

bought a sony gdm-fw900 off a friend for like $100.
ended up selling it for ~$1000 when it felt too small and calibration was becoming more and more of a pain.

also helped him buy it originally.

Sometime around 2007, EB Games has a promotion where you could trade in any five games and get a brand new Nintendo DS lite. I went to blockbuster, which had a buy one get one free sale on used games. Random Xbox 360 games like Simpsons hit and run etc. I bought a bunch of games, and traded them into EB for several DS for family and friends. The average cost per DS was $30. Amazing deal.

Also, my Future Shop once gave away copies of Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed Black Flag, and some other game. All you had to do was trade in literally any game. In that same plaza was an EB Games. I bought a few copies of Xbox Fusion Frenzy or something for 99 cents. The lineup outside Future Shop was insane. It took two hours for me to get the "free" games.

In dollars God Hand for 5$ with excellent disc and manual.

God_Hand_%282006_Playstation_2%29_video_game_cover_art.jpg
The funny part is that, back then, this game was at every EB Games for $5 used and no one bought it. It's a bad game and no one gave a shit. This isn't some Earthbound hidden gem type deal. It's just FOMO and collectors who don't even play the games that drove up this game.

SHA

A 360 with external and internal storage for a 135 usd, better than the elite to be frank, it's not just great, it made me satisfied for my rrod 360 unit that I haven't even replace.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
got both PS5 and XsX on their release dates without paying scalpers

Thats a good one. For me it might be getting a RTX 3080 a month or so after release, when no one could get the GPU, for MSRP from Amazon. Amazing value and still running strong.

I got a brand new 2tb gen 4 nvme Gigabyte Aorus SSD for $100 on Amazon in December for my PS5. After that the prices shot back up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom