• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the first game to use facial motion capture?

nush

Gold Member
Any behind the scenes stuff for this?

Just put Omikron the Nomad soul in google and theres some developer interviews. I imagine have Bowie attached to the project would give this game a larger than most footprint on the internet for a game of its age.

SirTerry-T

So does the Prince of Persia count?

Rotoscoping, which is essentially the 2d equivalent of motion capture when you think about it. You are using captured footage to drive an animated character in the case of motion capture, or using rotoscoping to trace your character over. You are still using the captured data to provide the information for the final animated asset.

Killer8

ok then LA Nior wouldn't count either right? that basically used video files mapped onto a 3D character as an animated texture (which is why it's still the most real looking facial animation in any game ever made... even tho it's not synced up with the body movement properly and therefore looks fucking weird in the end lol)

Siren pre-dates LA Noire and used a similar method. LA Noire was like a video file texture while Siren was unique textures for different facial expressions that were blended:

Last edited:
Because the face was fully motioned, but the body was animated. So there was a disconnect, the face doing too much expressions but not enough body language to fit. You have it on YT, they just sat in a chair and had like 50 cameras taking photos of every part of their head.
On top of that I couldn't tell the characters apart, somehow it made them all look the same or something.

I'm asking specifically about facial capture. Not body motion capture. Not performance capture as the collective sum of body, facial, and voice capture at once.
If we're talking about having dots placed on an actor's face, they like others have said I would say Heavenly Sword must be up there as one of the 1st
Thought I see to remember Sonic Team using a similar technique to capture Sonic speaking in Sonic Adventure and for the Irimajiri-san tech demo

Top Bottom