• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the last game with a proper "iconic" main theme?

Aion002

Destiny 2 Forsaken expansion theme is great:

Nioh 2 opening track is amazing:

Also, Ghost of Tsushima main theme is top-notch:

DrAspirino

Banned
Let me just drop this in here. If this thread ever gets zombied awake I’ll feel confident people will remember the 2020 plague.

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

An "iconic" theme would be the ones from Marios, Zeldas, and Animal Crossings.

Why you ask?

Because the "theme" is carried around throughout the entire soundtrack of said games, and across different iterations of them, in different variations. The latest clear example of a "proper" theme would be the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe theme. The same theme is being carried from SNES all the way to the Switch, in different ways, and different arrangements, all while maintaining a clear reference to its origins and what's it about.

Heck, I often play Mario Kart Tour and even there you can clearly hear the different Mario Kart themes.

Similar to the groundbreaking topic, this thread is riddled with incorrect answers.

Iconic doesn't mean good, or even memorable. The op asked for iconic video game songs and really there's probably about three - Tetris, Mario and maybe Zelda but even that might be too niche.

cireza

Ninja Gaiden 3 / Razor's Edge has an amazing main theme.

You don't get narrative tracks like these very often nowadays.

Last edited:
Top Bottom