• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Skyward Sword?

Afrocious

Telling me to collect 30ish or more musical notes swimming around a flooded zone that was formerly an area big enough to navigate by foot.

Telling me to use my wiimote to swim.

Finaly, telling me to swim better since the musical notes would attempt to get away from me.

Considering how fun the dungeons were (though I can't remember any of the dungeons aside from the first, one in the middle in the desert area, and the last), who asked for all those fetch quests and puzzles before them? Sure, previous Zelda games had players complete a task or a series of tasks before gaining entry into a dungeon. Skyward Sword had players do too much to get into the dungeons, and I believe this was an effort to make the hubs (overworld?) more interesting. They flat out bored me. Considering the goal is to complete the dungeon, the trials to get into the dungeons were contrived.

I recall reading something about how the stuff the player does outside the dungeon was to flow organically into what the player did in the dungeon. That sounds fine on paper. That execution, however, brought a huge drag. I think Nintendo tried too hard with their goal and ended up with long, padded, delayed quests to get into the dungeons.

Then there's Fi. Great concept of character, but complete lack of one up until her last few lines. I get she's analytical akin to a fictional cyborg (or android...I forget the correct term), but she's devoid of any relatable trait aside from her looking somewhat human. She is uninspiring, lacking in any motivation I can remember, and manages to be more annoying than hearing "HEY! LISTEN! WATCH OUT!" every minute.

What's worse about Fi is how you cannot speed up text in this game and she says a fuckton of the same damn thing throughout in an attempt to aid the player. She prolongs cutscenes for no reason. Most of her lines extrapolate basic points to the point where the game is no longer pandering to folks clueless about videogame 101, but testing the player to see if they can stand her long enough.

I somehow did, and finished the game. Cleared each dungeon, defeated that awful-looking boss with the crazy teeth and cartoon toes several times, and got those credits and blue balls over Zelda.

I think SS is the worst Zelda game.

In fact, of these threads asking about what's wrong with xxxx game, this is the only one I feel I dislike more than enjoyed.

Also, did we really need a stamina meter?

maxcriden

I'm playing it for the first time and absolutely loving it. The whole game is like one big dungeon, and the sidequests are just as compelling as any outside Majora's Mask. In fact, the Skyloft sidequests are like a great cross between the Clock Town and Kinstone Fusion sidequests.

LTWheels

Shit pacing that was soul sucking. Never bothered to finish it. Felt worn out.

Also having to constantly hold the controller straight up in the air to re-sync the motions was a right pain. Seemed to happen way to often.

suikodan

Depending entirely on the WiiMote+ was its major flaw.

However, the Zelda in this "story arc" was the best.

Ramza

Banned
One of my main complaints:

Fi_Artwork.png

Nintendo tried too hard to design the game around the Wiimote motion controls.

This is why I never played it, honestly, so I would agree 100%.
My desire to play Zelda games in recent years has diminished... but beyond that, my desire to own a Wii and play games with Wiimote motion controls is pretty much zero.
My ex-fiancee had bought a Wii -- and from my limited time with it, the games I enjoyed overall used the Wiimote like a classic NES pad or were arcade light gun shooters like HotD.
The rest just never felt right to me.
So with that in mind, if it was a game that played well with a gamecube controller, I would probably look into buying a copy and using Dolphin... but it's not. :p

Skyward Sword proved that the game I wanted Twilight Princess to have been would have been terrible. It's the only Zelda game I've never finished and it's completely because Motion Plus is a gimmicky headache.

jblank83

I liked the swimming.

Pacing is problematic. The lava area stealth felt boring. "Overworld" design is interesting, but somewhat unfulfilling. It's great that it's one big long puzzle, but it's also very linear and sort of artificial feeling. Controls don't always work perfectly.

Pretty good game, though, much better than Twilight Princess, probably better than Wind Waker (except for Wind Waker's amazing ending). Not up to OoT/MM level.

It tried something new with the game's structure and controls that people didn't care for.
i loved it for what it was though <3

Honestly my only complaints with it were Fi and then the collectable text popping up every single time you reset the game. This Wii Motion Plus "problem" that seemingly everyone else had, didn't effect me(sure I had to resync it twice over the course of a 45hr game, hardly gamebreaking) so I kinda laugh every time I see it listed as a major flaw with the game.

Pappasman

Bad pacing
Bad overworld/hubworld (very empty/boring)
Too much handholding

However the dungeons were some of the best in the series and the controls were great.

I think its sorta just too long. They reused the same areas too many times as well to accomplish this. Going back to the forest for like the 3rd time just made me feel tired.

It also took a while to get going -- too much tutorial.

I still like the game but it would have been better if it was shorter.

Nothing, fantastic game, and one of the best Zeldas ever.

ok i lied, Fi can get pretty damn annoying. other than that it's a masterpiece

Afrocious

Honestly my only complaints with it were Fi and then the collectable text popping up every single time you reset the game. This Wii Motion Plus "problem" that seemingly everyone else had, didn't effect me(sure I had to resync it twice over the course of a 45hr game, hardly gamebreaking) so I kinda laugh every time I see it listed as a major flaw with the game.

Twice? Damn dude. I can't even count how many times I had to resync.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
SS made Aonuma realize that he needs to make big changes to the series, so at least one part of SS is positive.

eXistor

Another day, another SS hate-thread. Can't wait for the time when SS is appreciated for its awesomeness. It's not a perfect game, of course, but it is a very well designed one. My main downside is how the overworld is not connected and the fact that almost every single thing gets explained to hell and back, Fi being the main offender. Also, it's too linear, there really is just one way to get through the areas, but at least they made the trip fun.

I'm actually replaying the game for a second time now on Hero mode and I'm baffled by how much she interrupts the flow constantly only to state the obvious (I didn't really mind the first time around because I was just in love with the game). I'm not even bothered that much by the slow and unskippable text, but Fi is just hands-down my least favorite sidekick. I really hope they drop sidekicks for the next Zelda.

Outside of that we have one of the best towns in the series with Skyloft, one of the best soundtracks in the series, some top-tier dungeons, fantastic controls, great art-style and fun side-quests. Not the best in the series, but definitely a must-play entry. I'd rank it just above WW and TP, but under such games as OoT, LA, LttP, MM and LBW.

IrishNinja

swimming controls, and adding a timer to the "collect the light things" sections, ugh

also i waited for Fi to develop & it never happened, beyond that i was happy

- Throwaway new races
- No open-world
- Bad pacing
- Lack of challenge
- Few cities & side-quests
- Linearity
- Bosses
- Atmosphere
- So slow; keep telling you stuff you already know
- Seriously not worth the five year wait

etc.

On the plus-side though:
- Skyloft
- Upgradeable items
- Things to spend money on!
- Amazing controls
- Flying and stuff

Kurt

The way how the overworld was connected.
It was some kind of hub. Didn't feel like one big world.
No freedom.

Second the story, i hate to much story and tutorials.

Third: collecting tears.

Besides that, there were no really bad things about it.

semiconscious

Gold Member
This is why I never played it, honestly, so I would agree 100%.
My desire to play Zelda games in recent years has diminished... but beyond that, my desire to own a Wii and play games with Wiimote motion controls is pretty much zero.
If it was a game that played well with a gamecube controller, I would probably look into buying a copy and using Dolphin... but it's not. :p

same (tho my desire to play zelda games is still there :) ). if there's never gonna be an option to play with a traditional controller, i'll just never know how good or bad it was...

i tried to like the controls. i really did.

but after the 2nd (or 3rd?) fight with the big boss with the toes i just gave up after realizing i was gradually hating the game.

SOOOOOOO glad they made Wind Waker HD though!

DJ_Lae

Ignoring everything else that was potentially annoying, Fi made me stop playing the game all on her own, in particular the item descriptions that re-appeared when I played the game after turning the console off. Thanks for the painfully slow description of what I just picked up, I absolutely forgot about those in the day it's been since I played last!

Groose is about the only positive memory I have of that game.

Afrocious

I don't want to have too much fun railing on the game, but I can't remember a boss fight aside from four. Two of which is the same boss. One of which is the final boss. The fourth being that stupid monster with the toes.

Not a lot. The dowsing was annoying and should have been scrapped. The fetch stuff was pretty boring too. And apparently Fi kept blabbing on, although I didn't notice her as much during my first playthrough. I guess some didn't like the overworld either. It was pretty empty, I admit. And there's a group of people that didn't like the motion controls, either genuinely or because they didn't know how to play it.

Otherwise, it was a pretty great game with cool dungeons, (for the most part) great boss battles and neat puzzles.

Kilau

I wanted to love it, I love the Zelda series. I just couldn't get past the controls. I know other people have no issues with them, but for me they are just broken.

I mean, I finished Spirit Tracks, that is how much I love Zelda games but I don't think I will ever complete SS.

So yeah, controls are whats wrong.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The overworld was garbage. Everything else I really liked and the game has some of the best dungeons in any Zelda game.

edit - I forgot that there was quite a bit of hand holding too which got annoying but it wasn't a game breaker or anything.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Nintendo tried too hard to design the game around the Wiimote motion controls.

Seriously. I had a conversation with a professed Nintendo fanboy about the game the other day and when I said that the controls were terrible, he said, "Nuh uh! You just suck at using the Wiimote!" I then asked a few people around the room what their number one beef with the game was. Answer? The controls.

atrossity

Banned
The only reason I think oot is better than skyward sword is because of what it did for it's time. Other than that, skyward sword is the best Zelda... That said, the controls really held it down, but it was so awesome that I could overlook that.

What did it do right ?

1) awesome environments and artwork
2) great story
3) one thing that I always miss that no Zelda really does is a sense of progression within the town. Meaning, you can go do something that directly affects the villagers, but they still have the same dialogue as when you first started the game. Skyward sword did this well.. and the only other Zelda to do this was majoras mask.

It wasn't perfect, but it was really good, for sure.

it was paced like ass, it's twice as long as it needs to be, and they reuse areas too many damn times. Also, those swimming controls will make you want to hurt things.

on the plus side, it's charming as all hell and the characters don't look like mutants (see twilight princess for terrible characters).

Make it half as long and it would've been a gem.

tronic307

It felt disjointed and compartmentalized with the sparse skyworld and areas that felt like three huge dungeons. I enjoyed the controls but many didn't. It was a bold experiment, it mixed up the formula a bit, but I wouldn't count on too many of those changes carrying over to future Zelda installments.

Hedgey

I loved it back when it released, haven't played it since then.
My only gripe at the time was that I needed motionplus to play it.

Oh, and Fi was an insult to my intelligence.

Timeaisis

I loved the game.

The only thing I can really say was bad about it was the tadtones quest and the re-use of a certain boss a few times (
the imprisoned, not ghirahim
). Fi wasn't that bad. Handholding was excessive in the beginning but dropped off to reasonable levels after that. The hub world left a little to be desired, but the dungeon and overworld design were excellent. The puzzles were great, the combat was fun, and the bosses were awesome.

anastazius

Neo Member
If there was a way to toggle off Fi's interruptions, it would have been near-perfect for me. Sometime she could actually be amusing, such as when getting her to analyse a fairy. I get the impression that the type of dry-computer-scanning-humour they were going for was done much better with the NintendoLand guide.

Other than that I loved pretty much every minute of it. I just wish using the bow & arrow was like in Wii Sports Resort archery, instead of just pointing and clicking.

Top Bottom