• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1991 edition. (56k)

Lot of good games, but...

wFN2RqP.jpg

Sonic The Hedgehog, definitely

Agreed. Still my favorite Sonic game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's the year i was born. the only ones i've played from that list are super mario world and sonic. could never get into sonic though so i'll go with mario.

WITHE1982

Um. You forgot Toejam & Earl.

Dammit. How could I forget TG&E. I was playing it on PS3 just the other day with my daughter.

edit: OK so this one is now a toss up between:

Sonic The Hedgehog, Streets Of Rage and Toejam & Earl

I honestly can't separate the two three. Both They took up so, so much of my time and I still play them to this day.

Street Fighter II on arcades was the holy grail.
I've been trying for years to find footage of an arcade from 1991-1993 with a group of people crowded around a Street Fighter II cabinet just watching in awe, cheering and waiting for their turn.

I remember the buzz because I was there, but apparently no one thought to pull out the ol' camcorder because I can't find any videos.

I vividly remember a local arcade had a bunch of Street Fighter IIs hooked up to rear projection big screen cabs against the wall and crowds and crowds of people hustling for a glimpse. It was insane.

Good times.

bradido

Without a doubt, Castlevania IV. I was a huge Castlevania fan and that game blew me away. I remember honestly thinking the SNES was an upgrade over Genesis at the time. Mario World helped that misperception too.

Though SF2 is the GOAT, I didn't get into it until about 1992. I could't deal with the 50 cents a game cost :)

Wing%20Commander%20II:%20Vengeance%20of%20the%20Kilrathi_1.png

wc2democomparison2.gif

special_WC_6_Wing_Commander_2_Vengance_of_the_Kilrathi_Special_operations_2_1992.jpg

WING COMMANDER 2

I owned only an Amiga 500 at the time, but a friend of mine had a new 386 AT PC with VGA card and an 80mb hard drive.

I visited him as often as I could to see this technical marvel...

Was so futuristic back then...

Um. You forgot Toejam & Earl.

wtf?

That deserves an um. Considering it was the (toe)jam of my bro and I and we always went straight for Level 0 and did little else, that's a terrible oversight on my part. >_>

EDIT: Not only did I add it, but I added a Level 0 picture because that was one of my favorite Genesis secrets along with the Sonic 2 Level Select.

Super Mario World! Without a doubt

"First post" and all that.

Street Fighter II in arcades is a very close second though. Extremely influential, but more importantly: incredibly fun. It still hold up 26 years later.

Actually, most of these games still hold up. What an amazing year.

For me, easily The Faery Tale Adventure (Amiga).

God I wish there would be a remake...

220px-The_Faery_Tale_Adventure_Coverart.png

Edit: Darnit! Turrican 2 (Amiga) was same year?

Ex Aequo then.

turrican2-amiga-01.png

Honorable mentions: Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Wing Commander 2
According to Wikipedia Faery Tale Adventure was released in 1987?

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Had never heard of it before and it looks interesting.

EDIT: The Amiga version was 1987, Genesis/Mega Drive 1991.

Sanctuary

I've been trying for years to find footage of an arcade from 1991-1993 with a group of people crowded around a Street Fighter II cabinet just watching in awe, cheering and waiting for their turn.

I remember the buzz because I was there, but apparently no one thought to pull out the ol' camcorder because I can't find any videos.

I vividly remember a local arcade had a bunch of Street Fighter IIs hooked up to rear projection big screen cabs against the wall and crowds and crowds of people hustling for a glimpse. It was insane.

Good times.

Maybe no one thought that there would be any need to document it for posterity? As big as Street Fighter 2 was intitially, the entire fighting game arcade scene in my area blew up when Mortal Kombat 2 (and to a lesser extent Killer Instinct the following year) hit. The arcades were pretty much filled to capacity on the weekends, and you had to either get good fast, or stand around in a sea of people for close to thirty minutes for your next turn. While the arcades were fun enough, eventually if you played enough, you had to look elsewhere for any kind of competition. Our local college had a game room with a bunch of fighting games, and the competition there was pretty fierce when SF2 Turbo arrived. Also, jab, strong, fierce, short, forward, roundhouse > light punch, medium punch, hard/heavy punch, light kick, medium kick, hard/heavy kick. :(

Good times.

At the very least, I found this compilations from the 80s!

What was then Final Fantasy 2 (FFIV). Loved it, still a favorite FF.

Klax was actually in consideration too, so addicted to that but on the excellent Lynx version which was 1990.

Opa-Pa

Metroid II, F-Zero, Mega Man I, Street Fighter II, Outrun Genesis, Streets of Rage, Super Castlevania IV, and The Simpsons Arcade for me.

I didn't play many of those back then, though, I think only Simpsons, SF2 and Outrun. The latter is particularly nostalgic to me because on top of being a serviceable port with great music, it was also my first exposure to Outrun, one of my favorite games ever.

KodaRuss

Probably Lemmings, I was 6 in '91 so I played all of these after they have been our for some time. I spent a lot of time on The Simpson's Arcade game was I did beat a few times.

I never owned a SNES but I love F-Zero and Super Mario World with my limited time at friends houses and stuff.

I would love a damn SNES Classic, come on Nintendo!

Streets of Rage introduced me to Yuzo Koshiro who's one of my favorite VGM composers of all time. As games though, the sequels are a lot better. I'd have to go with SF2 or Sonic.

Definitely gotta go with Sonic. Always used to rent the Genesis when I had spring break as a kid, and played the crap outta that game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lots of great games but Final Fantasy IV, Super Mario World, and Final Fantasy Adventure are the standouts, since they still remain some of my all time favorites.

To the people who think Super Mario World was a step back from Mario 3: in what ways do you think?

I'm curious as Mario 3 used to be my favorite of the old-school Mario games, but over time, Mario World took over. I think one of the problems Mario 3 has is the lack of a save system; it's an extraordinary amount of content to finish in one sitting, which is a flaw in the game as many games with no save features were pretty short overall (look how fast you can finish Sonic 1 or 2, even if you try to get all the Chaos Emeralds). Mario 3 is a classic, but I consider the lack of a save feature a strike against it considering the length of the game, whereas Mario World offers a ton of content but the ability to handle it on your own time.

Course, World also has the disadvantage of not saving the amount of lives you have, which the New SMB series rectified, but I'd rather have that than to decide to dedicate a whole afternoon to the game.

Tough year but have to go with Sonic the Hedgehog. Honorable mentions to Street Fighter II, Super Mario World, F Zero, and Toejam & Earl.

gelf

Bad at remembering years stuff came out in but from that list it's between Street Fighter 2, Streets of Rage, Sonic, Monkey Island 2 and Lemmings. I'm not going to try and separate them.

Edit Damn missed Civilization as well, great year for me.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Nazz

Neo Member
Has to be Final Fantasy IV. Still one of my favourite FF games to date.

Honourable mentions: Super Mario World, Another World

Clockwork

I'll be honest...

I probably spent the most time playing SimCity on SNES but all the launch era games got a lot of play.

jluedtke

You keep skipping over the TurboGrafx!

Addams Family, The
Bomberman
Bonk's Revenge

Cadash
Champions Forever Boxing
Davis Cup Tennis
Dragon's Curse
It Came From The Desert
Impossamole
J.B. Harold Murder Club