• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herne

A Commodore 64 breadbin with orange function keys, which means it was an early model. My not comprehending this, I swapped it for a C64C as that model looked more modern and was nicer to type on. It was either 1990 or 1991 when I got this.

My first x86 machine was a Compaq Presario 5186 in 1999 with a K6-II 450MHz processor, 64MB of ram and a 6.2GB hard drive. It had a lovely, curvy case, that was unfortunately proprietary on the inside so it was a bitch to work with. Two years later I would build my first pc, a Duron 650MHz with 128MB, 20GB hard drive and a Voodoo 5 5500.

appaws

Banned
First computer: commodore vic-20
vic20.jpg

Same for me. A lot of hours of Gorf and Cosmic Cruncher.

HorseFD

big.jpg

A Unisys 386 PC, which looked very similar to this computer that Tom Hanks played in the movie Big.

It ran Windows For Workgroups 3.11 (and obviously DOS).

petran79

Banned
this ugly thing

pre43301.jpg

Dad decided finally to get a PC since in the mid-90s they were relatively cheaper than during the 80s. Though I was PC gaming years earlier at friends, both Amigas, C64s, AtariSTs and XLs, IBM PCs etc

486sx25
4MB RAM
Cirrus Logic 512 KB ISA
40 MB HDD
Windows 3.11

First game he got was an infected floppy with Scorch and Lakers vs Celtics

Fortunately my friends brother had upgraded from an 8088 to a 486dx2/66mhz, 1 MB VGA, so the golden era of DOS gaming had began! Copied a lot of games in floppies (ARJ format, later RAR).

Though most games would run slower on mine. Later I added a sound card and a CD-ROM. Since the CD-ROM would not fit, the technician converted it to an external one, just connecting the IDE cable.

I have to say I played the best games on that PC. When few years later I got my own PC (Celeron, Ati Rage Pro VGA, Soundblaster 16) I felt ecstatic.

I think the first computer that could be called my own personal one was an IBM ThinkPad. Don't know the year, probably 2001 or so. I don't remember the first family computer.

Doomedfool

Commodore 128 was my first.

After that I got an 8088. Don't remember the brand and whatnot, but was super excited to finally be able to play Eye of the Beholder. At least until I kept getting parity check errors, and it was back in the day when I couldn't just try and find answers on the internet. sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom