• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just like every discussion about every pre-announcement console in the history of GAF. This isn't exactly some abnormal phenomenon. Nintendo's actually given us more data points about what their console will be than Sony and Microsoft did prior to the PS4 and Xbox One reveals, as most of what we knew about those consoles prior to their reveal was based on information gleaned from outside sources.

I was just pointing out that a certain amount of speculation is unavoidable, so "sticking to the facts" is not really feasible when there are not enough facts. Or the thread would be empty.

Huddy

So this could be a SoC for the NX. Looking at AMD's roadmap it could be the Bristol Ridge APU that is coming Q1 2016, 28nm, 4 cores with Next Gen GCN or some custom variant of that platform. Am I wide of the mark?

Hermii

So this could be a SoC for the NX. Looking at AMD's roadmap it could be the Bristol Ridge APU that is coming Q1 2016, 28nm, 4 cores with Next Gen GCN or some custom variant of that platform. Am I wide of the mark?

That lines up with the "industry leading chip" rumour, but at the same time its not typical of Nintendo to go with the latest tech.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
That lines up with the "industry leading chip" rumour, but at the same time its not typical of Nintendo to go with the latest tech.

?

That's not true.

SNES > Genesis
N64 > PS1
Gamecube > PS2

It wasn't until the Wii that Nintendo got lazy with their hardware, and are now peddling their plastic junk amiibos. I'd love for Nintendo to return to releasing a powerhouse of a console but at this point they don't care about that and I fear their image is too tarnished for people to even care.

Hm, they could be willing take the financial hit for such components initially. I think more standard components will get cheaper over time, due to improved manufacturing etc.

the difference between pre-PS4 announcement and XBONE is that we knew what they were going to be. Just the same with upgraded graphics and processing stuff.

With Nintendo, we have literally ZERO idea what it is. What is the concept? What is defining about it? WE NEED ANSWERS!

javac

?

That's not true.

SNES > Genesis
N64 > PS1
Gamecube > PS2

It wasn't until the Wii that Nintendo got lazy with their hardware, and are now peddling their plastic junk amiibos. I'd love for Nintendo to return to releasing a powerhouse of a console but at this point they don't care about that and I fear their image is too tarnished for people to even care.

Having weak hardware doesn't indicate laziness, especially when that hardware gave birth to a new transformative method of control. It does indicates a change of focus however.

Oersted

The Nintendo of today develops smartphone games,funds violent games, patents cloud technology and works on their online services with the outside company DeNa.

Not making a statement about how powerful NX gonna be, but thinking like "typical Nintendo " and "Nintendo gonna Nintendo" is outdated.

I mean, that kind of thinking has been outdated since Wii and DS, which weren't typical Nintendo. Nintendo reinvents themselves.

Litri

This will be the cheapest option for Nintendo when it comes to having a reasonably powered machine although it will still be behind XBONE and PS4.

Sources say it should have an 10-15% percent CPU gain in performance over Kaveri which in turn uses better CPUs than both XBONE and PS4 so maybe close to 20-25% gain ¿?

In the GPU department, it will still be behind MS and Sony machines but if you add the architectural improvements, perhaps it will not be that far?

This will be the cheapest option for Nintendo when it comes to having a reasonably powered machine although it will still be behind XBONE and PS4.

Sources say it should have an 10-15% percent CPU gain in performance over Kaveri which in turn uses better CPUs than both XBONE and PS4 so maybe close to 20-25% gain ¿?

In the GPU department, it will still be behind MS and Sony machines but if you add the architectural improvements, perhaps it will not be that far?

Nintendo won't use an off the shelf part. Despite their "semicustom" status, neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One APU have the exact layout and configuration of a commercial AMD product. Xbox One's APU, in particular, is pretty much as custom as it gets these days. The only thing that made it "semi" was that it relied on AMD IP for most of the blocks (although MS provided some of their own custom blocks as well, in audio processing and RAM management for instance).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Bulldozer offspring != console CPU.

High clock, low IPC, half a FPU per core. Not a great choice for a power-sensitive, FPU-demanding environment.

Banned
I was just pointing out that a certain amount of speculation is unavoidable, so "sticking to the facts" is not really feasible when there are not enough facts. Or the thread would be empty.
If we stick to the facts you're left with what's in the OP. The tl;dr version being

"We are working on a new dedicated gaming platform called NX" and "we want to provide new experiences for players".

That's it.

If we stick to the facts you're left with what's in the OP. The tl;dr version being

"We are working on a new dedicated gaming platform called NX" and "we want to provide new experiences for plays".

That's it.

Which makes the omission of the patent stuff somewhat baffling, since while they're hardly a confirmation of features, they're evidence of stuff that might actually be implemented in the NX. The controller stuff (scroll wheel shoulder buttons, free-form display, etc) is the most likely stuff to be implemented, I think.

Eddie Nash

Neo Member
Which makes the omission of the patent stuff somewhat baffling, since while they're hardly a confirmation of features, they're evidence of stuff that might actually be implemented in the NX. The controller stuff (scroll wheel shoulder buttons, free-form display, etc) is the most likely stuff to be implemented, I think.

If lack of possibilities being shown here bothers you, then check this out:

http://www.geek.com/games/latest-ni...-resolution-and-have-motion-controls-1645068/

It's not a confirmed fact, but it could be true.

Steejee

Summary of thread:

iPh2bV9.jpg

Also, as a sign of how long since it's been since I've seen Spaceballs, I completely missed the 'Give the two black guys the fro pick' gag.

Combing the desert is probably a pretty apt metaphor for trying to discover anything about the NX to boot. We have piles of speculation and fake leaks, and barely any info we can trust. Nintendo has really put a tight lid on this thing.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Time: February 3, 10.00 AM (JST) / February 2, 08.00 PM (EST)
Location: Hotel New Otani Tokyo (likely in the Tsuru banquet hall)

t1454461200z1.png

TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Tsuru banquet hall:

tsururfsnm.png

Hero of Legend, feel free to include this in the OP if you like.

Shame Nintendo doesn't offer webcasts of these presentations. Sometimes other firms film their events, but it's not common.

Steejee

That is a pretty awesome banquet hall. I've been to far too many exhibitions/conventions/etc in the standard brown and more, slightly different brown style rooms. Makes me stabby.

benedictm

Banned
Ok, I agree they wouldn't put Virtual Console on other platforms buuuut how about this

If you own a Nintendo NX and you buy a game on Virtual Console on it you can take the controller you use with the NX it was bought on, pair it with a PC or Smartphone and play the VC games you have bought.

This feels how Nintendo could make this work, not damage their ecosystem, sell a ton more consoles and add that classic Nintendo odd way of doing things. The only un Nintendo thing would be not making you rebuy the same damn VC games for every machine you have.

Eddie Nash

Neo Member
Ok, I agree they wouldn't put Virtual Console on other platforms buuuut how about this

If you own a Nintendo NX and you buy a game on Virtual Console on it you can take the controller you use with the NX it was bought on, pair it with a PC or Smartphone and play the VC games you have bought.

This feels how Nintendo could make this work, not damage their ecosystem, sell a ton more consoles and add that classic Nintendo odd way of doing things. The only un Nintendo thing would be not making you rebuy the same damn VC games for every machine you have.

They could make the NX accessible through the internet in a way that allows you to play your NX games remotely. It would run on the NX, but it would show in whatever device you're using, as long as you are connected to the internet. That way, it could work even in the rival consoles through the web browser.

Rösti;192852590 said:

t1454461200z1.png

TSE operating hours are 09.00 - 15.00 (JST). I believe the earnings release will come on February 2 after the market closes.

Tsuru banquet hall:

tsururfsnm.png

Shame Nintendo doesn't offer webcasts of these presentations. Sometimes other firms film their events, but it's not common.

Why on earth would they have any old meeting in THAT?! o_O They usually have them in any decent room, but a BANQUET HALL? o_O

They could make the NX accessible through the internet in a way that allows you to play your NX games remotely. It would run on the NX, but it would show in whatever device you're using, as long as you are connected to the internet. That way, it could work even in the rival consoles through the web browser.

None of that is happening.

Pandy

Separate launch between portable and home console NX? Portable launch 2016, home in 2017...

Just saw on IGN.
Do they have a source for that?
I've been saying the same thing for years, and while it'd be nice to be right, it's probably just speculation on their part based on some fairly obvious patterns and taking statements from Nintendo at face value rather than looking for the 'WiiU is DEAD' angle on everything.

The only thing I KNOW about the NX is that it already has some of the most talented people in the industry working on games, and given my personal GOTY for the last three years have been SM3DW, MK8 and Splatoon, it's safe to say I'm buying whatever system those guys are working on.

Off topic: I genuinely can't remember my personal GOTY the year before that. Was that Darks Souls year?

Terrell

I thought it was the DeNA thing?
You are correct. They had an impromptu press meeting to announce the stock trade with DeNA. They only discussed NX at the time to prevent "Nintendo going mobile 3rd party" bullshit, which somehow STILL happened.
Had they not been forced to discuss it then, we can't be sure when they would have said anything, but they reiterated their wider plans for NX at the next scheduled shareholders meeting.

GrandiaX

Banned
LISTEN GUY'S SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK BUT I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO GET EVERYONE'S ATTENTION BECAUSE I RECENTLY WITHIN THE LAST 24 HOURS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO WITNESS FIRST HAND THE DEVELOPMENT KIT FOR THE NINTENDO NX N WHILE UNFORTUNATELY I WASN'T ABLE TO TAKE PICTURES AND OR RECORD ANY VIDEO OF THE DEVELOPMENT KIT DUE TO THE DEVELOPER BEING UNDER A VERY STRICT NDA I WAS HOWEVER GRANTED ROUGHLY 45 MINUTES OF FIRST HAND ACCESS TO THE KIT WHERE I WAS ABLE TO NOT ONLY SEE THE NEARLY FINALIZED HARDWARE BUT ALSO THE SOFTWARE DEMO THAT WAS TALKED ABOUT BACK IN OCTOBER, 2015 WHERE SOURCES STATED IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO RUN AT 60FPS 1080P WITHOUT AN INDUSTRY LEADING CPU & GPU AND LET ME JUST SAY THAT PEOPLE SHOULD DEFINITELY BELIEVE THE HYPE AS ITS VERY REAL OH ITS TRUE ITS DAMN TRUE AS THE NINTENDO NX IS THE MOST POWERFUL GAMING CONSOLE EVER BUILT AND I WILL GO AHEAD N LIST THE SPECS BELOW AS WELL AS AFTER I LIST THE SPECS I WILL BRIEFLY DISCUSS THE SOFTWARE DEMO N OVERALL BASIC INFO OF THE SYSTEM

CPU: AMD CUSTOM Excavator Based APU clocked @ 2.7GHZ with 8gb of DDR4 memory 2400mhz

GPU: Custom Tonga Based R9 370x clocked @ 930mhz 2.84 T-flops

The Nintendo NX Handheld device is essentially an 8 inch gaming tablet with a full Hd 1080p resolution screen which will Be powered by The Cortex-A57 64-bit ARMv8 core mobile cpu which will be extremely powerful on its own as it will have performance that rivals the best gaming phone's and or tablets on the market for portable gameplay anywhere you wanna take it BUT WHILE ALSO BEING ABLE TO PLAY FULL QUALITY NINTENDO NX GAMES while being linked up in your home wirelessly paired together with the Nintendo NX supplemental device which is basically an interlink that will allow FULL VERSION LATENCY FREE GAMES TO BE STREAMED from the NX IN FULL 1080P DIRECTLY TO THE HANDHELD ANYWHERE IN YOUR HOME and at the same time this supplemental device is also used as a direct wan port where it acts as a server between your home NX and every other NX console connected to the NINTENDO NETWORK which drastically improves performance of latency n lag during online game play while also WILL BE USED AS A HUGE CLOUD GAMING SERVER WHICH WHEN YOUR NOT PLAYING THE NX AT HOME IT WILL REMAIN IN STANDBY MODE WHILE BEING CONNECTED TO THE NINTENDO NETWORK THRU THE SUPPLEMENTAL DEVICE which acts as a server WHERE IT WILL OFFLOAD ITS CPU N GPU PROCESSING POWER TO THE MAIN SHARED CLOUD GAMING NETWORK THAT EVERY SINGLE NINTENDO NX WILL BE CONNECTED TO WHERE THE EXTRA PROCESSING POWER WILL BE SHARED AMONGST ALL NX CONSOLES ON THE NETWORK WHICH WILL ALLOW NINTENDO NX GAMES TO ESSENTIALLY ADD MORE AND MORE GRAPHICAL ASSESTS SUCH AS TEXTURES, FOLIAGE, ETC..... BASICALLY THE NINTENDO NX GAMES WILL SEAMLESSLY UPGRADE WHILE PLAYING WHERE UPGRADED GRAPHICS HAPPEN INSTANTLY DURING GAMEPLAY AS THE NINTENDO NX NETWORK HAS MORE AND MORE NC CONSOLES CONNECTED OFFLOADING PROCESSING POWER WHERE THE POSSIBILITIES ARE VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED AS FAR AS GRAPHICS POTENTIAL WHERE THE MORE NINTENDO NX CONSOLES THAT ARE SOLD OVER TIME AS THE USER BASE GROWS THE MORE EXTRA CLOUD PROCESSING POWER WILL BE AVAILABLE AS VIRTUALLY EVERY NX CONSOLE WILL BE ABLE TO BOTH USE AND SHARE EXTRA PROCESSING POWER WHERE THE USERS ARE AWARDED WITH THE UPGRADED GRAPHIC AFFECTS N PROCESSING POWER ACCORDING TO HOW MUCH THEY SHARE BASICALLY THE MORE TIME YOUR NX CONSOLE REMAINS IN STANDBYE MODE WHERE YOU SHARE YOUR CONSOLES PROCESSING POWER THE MORE AVAILABLE RESOURCES YOUR NX WILL GET AS FAR AS ADDED GRAPHICAL EFFECTS WHEN YOU GAME WHERE BASICALLY THE MORE YOU SHARE YOUR NX PROCESSING POWER WITH THE COMMUNITY THE MORE AVAILABLE TIME YOUR NX GETS TO USE AVAILABLE RESOURCES FOR UPGRADED GRAPHICS IN YOUR GAMES WHERE THE MORE YOU SHARE THE MORE YOU BENEFIT and the most awesome part is that the NINTENDO NX GAMES WILL all seamlessly improve MORE n more throughout the life span of the system as more and more people get THE NX CONSOLES N START BANDWITH SHARING EACH OTHERS PROCESSING POWER N FOR ALL THE PC GAMERS OUT THERE WHO HAVE BEEN KING FOR SO LONG ITS TIME YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT THE NINTENDO NX WILL ABSOLUTELY BE ON PAR WITH N WILL EVENTUALLY START TO SURPASS THE PC QUALITY AS THE NX IS THE LAST GAME CONSOLE TO BE MADE AS NINTENDO HAS WON THE WAR WITH THE NX WHERE THEY'VE PATENTED EVERYTHING SO GOING FORWARD THERE WON'T BE ANYMORE XBOX OR PLAYSTATION CONSOLES AS GAMING AS A WHOLE BELONGS TO NINTENDO AND WHILE COMPUTERS WILL ALWAYS BE IN DEMAND THE GAMING ASPECT OF PERSONAL COMPUTERS IS IN ITS LAST DAYS AS THE NINTENDO NX IS THE FUTURE OF GAMING AS THE MORE NX CONSOLES THAT CONNECT THE MORE POWERFUL THE GAMES WILL GET AND THE FASTER INTERNET CONNECTIONS THE WORLD GETS OVER TIME WILL ONLY INCREASE THE PROCESSING POWER OF THE NINTENDO NX SHARED NETWORK SO YEA PEOPLE GO AHEAD AND CHEW ON THIS INFORMATION BABY CAUSE THE FACE OF GAMING IS FIXING TO CHANGE

NOW WERE PLAYING WITH POWER.............

OH N I SAVED THE BEST PART FOR LAST WHICH IS THAT THE 8 INCH HAND HELD GAMING DEVICE ISNT THE NX CONSOLES CONTROLLER AS ITS TOTALLY SEPARATE AS THE NX CONSOLE WILL HAVE ITS OWN VERY AWESOME STANDARD TYPE CONTROLLER AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT THE XBOX ONE ELITE CONTROLLER IS LIKE PLASTIC VS STEAL WHEN PAIRED NEXT TO THE NINTENDO NX CONTROLLER AS ITS ALL ABOUT QUALITY N DURABILITY AS IT FEELS AND LOOKS EVERY BIT THE PART OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY POSSIBLE AS ITS VERY WELL MADE AND ITS A REAL HARD CORE GAMING TYPE CONTROLLER NO GIMICS

THE NINTENDO NX CONSOLE WILL BE SOLD SEPARATELY FROM THE HAND HELD DEVICE AS THEY WILL ESSENTIALLY BE TWO SEPARATE DEVICES THAT WHILE CAN WORK TOGETHER THEY CAN ALSO WORK INDEPENDANTLY FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT WANT ONLY ONE OR THE OTHER

THE LAST THING ILL SAY IS THAT WHILE THE PRICE ISNT FINALIZED THE WORD IS AT THIS POINT THE PRICES WILL BE ROUGHLY CLOSE TO THE FOLLOWING

NINTENDO NX CONSOLE PRICE $549.99

NINTENDO NX HANDHELD PRICE ????????? No current information and or even an estimate

THERE YOU HAVE IT PEOPLE STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH THE NINTENDO NX HAS BEEN REVEALED

OH YEA THE SOFTWARE DEMO RUNS 60FPS 1080P ON THE NINTENDO NX AS THE NINTENDO NX FRAMERATE AND RESOLUTION WILL BE LOCKED FOR ALL 1ST PARTY GAMES @ 1080p 60FPS and this software demo was so powerful that the CURRENT CPU AND GPU NEEDED TO OBTAIN 1080P 60FPS AVERAGE was a GTX 970 with a current i7 cpu such as the i7-4770k and or equivalent or better

giphy.gif

YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT THE NINTENDO NX WILL ABSOLUTELY BE ON PAR WITH N WILL EVENTUALLY START TO SURPASS THE PC QUALITY AS THE NX IS THE LAST GAME CONSOLE TO BE MADE AS NINTENDO HAS WON THE WAR WITH THE NX WHERE THEY'VE PATENTED EVERYTHING SO GOING FORWARD THERE WON'T BE ANYMORE XBOX OR PLAYSTATION CONSOLES AS GAMING AS A WHOLE BELONGS TO NINTENDO

Literally laughed out loud. Who comes up with this stuff?

AmyS

Rösti;192852590 said:

t1454461200z1.png

Tsuru banquet hall:

tsururfsnm.png

'shits about to get real.

sinxtanx

It's going to happen eventually. But when is the question.

It's been a week. At this point, this thread should just be stuffed into community and then aggressively linked to whenever someone tries to speculate about the NX.

It's gonna be revealed pretty soon, but that won't stop one billion rumor threads.

Neoxon

Rösti;192852590 said:

t1454461200z1.png

Tsuru banquet hall:

tsururfsnm.png

Looks rather fancy. Let's leave this thread alone long enough so that Hero of Legend can update it with the info from this event......if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom