• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

I hope Star Fox Zero doesn't suck, since that could be the true death of the franchise. Well, at least I have Star Fox 3D to play I guess.
Might as well let it go dormant if the best they can think of is chicken Arwings and robots on a drawstring.

Instro

Your original statement made it seem like it was a rush-out-the-door job to have a release.

Whereas, we've heard that it's a game that's been in development/talks since the Wii era, but they haven't known what to do with it. And it's undergone a lot of changes and people working on it.

In terms of extremes, it's probably nearer to a FFXV than a Mario Ultra Tennis situation. The opposite of what you implied.

It was absolutely being rushed out the door. From a prototype to a release date a little over a year later is very quick. The fact that is has since been delayed is only a sign of how poor it has turned out, and how bad the reception and previews have been so far.

it's a Miyamoto + Platinum game. It's going to be really good. It might be great. People need to chill out.

When was the last time Miyamoto made a bad game? Never?

maxcriden

it's a Miyamoto + Platinum game. It's going to be really good. It might be great. People need to chill out.

I'm wary. Alberto heard something or he wouldn't have said what he did. It looks to be a solid remake of SF64 at absolute best from everything we've seen.

When Platinum is rushed and budgeted things get very mediocre.

See Korra and everything outside of its core combat mechanics.

Banned

Sticker Star was 2013. Wii music was 2008. He's not perfect and he's getting up there in age and his old fashioned ways.

maxcriden

Sticker Star was 2013. Wii music was 2008. He's not perfect and he's getting up there in age and his old fashioned ways.

Sticker Star is a terrific game, though. I hope the new Paper Mario for Wii U is a suitable swan song for the system a la PM64. I will say it's definitely time for a traditional-ish entry in the franchise.

When Platinum is rushed and budgeted things get very mediocre.

See Korra and everything outside of its core combat mechanics.
Again, Miyamoto.

If it's not shaping up, he'll delay the damn thing again.

I don't think Sticker Star was bad, and Wii Music is so strange and experimental I don't know whether to even consider it a game.

That said, isn't Star Fox basically his return to full time game dev?

... why are we talking about Star Fox again?

MK_768

Sticker Star is a terrific game, though. I hope the new Paper Mario for Wii U is a suitable swan song for the system a la PM64. I will say it's definitely time for a traditional-ish entry in the franchise.

Too each his own but you are in the minority.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a Star Fox thread, guys :O
I honestly think that was a mistranslation and he meant to say "will rival the PS4" instead of "will work with rival PS4".
Yeah, the tweet wasn't too well put together and it seems far fetched enough to not pay much attention to it.

Banned

Again, Miyamoto.

If it's not shaping up, he'll delay the damn thing again.

I don't think Sticker Star was bad, and Wii Music is so strange and experimental I don't know whether to even consider it a game.

That said, isn't Star Fox basically his return to full time game dev?

... why are we talking about Star Fox again?
You're in the minority.
I'm pretty sure this isn't a Star Fox thread, guys :O

Yeah, the tweet wasn't too well put together and it seems far fetched enough to not pay much attention to it.
Yeah my thoughts to. Makes more sense along with the "industry leading chips needed to run this" tweet he sent out months earlier.

SalvaPot

I don't know if this been discussed:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sharp-to-accept-foxconn-takeover-offer-report-says-1454557172

Takashi Mochizuki ‏@mochi_wsj 4h4 hours ago
NHK says Foxconn to take over Sharp.
Takashi Mochizuki ‏@mochi_wsj 3h3 hours ago
Very surprising move! Sharp to enter exclusive talks with Foxconn over takeover, sources say: http://on.wsj.com/1JZfG0K
Takashi Mochizuki ‏@mochi_wsj 2h2 hours ago
There's no fresh words from Sharp regarding Foxconn in the form of statement released 3pm. CEO Takahashi to meet the press soon

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj

TOKYO— Sharp Corp. has decided to enter exclusive talks with Taiwanese electronics assembler Foxconn over a takeover, people familiar with the matter said Thursday, in a last-minute turnabout that could clear the way for one of the most prominent investments by a foreign company in Japan.
Foxconn—formally known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.—and Innovation Network Corp. of Japan, a government-backed fund, have been competing for control of Sharp since last year. The century-old Osaka-based electronics maker has suffered deep losses after its consumer-electronics business declined and it faced tougher competition in the display panels it sells to smartphone makers.

INCJ initially had the advantage, people familiar with the process said, in part because its bid would keep Sharp’s display technology in Japanese hands.

But Foxconn Chief Executive Terry Gou traveled to Japan last week to make a personal appeal for his bid, which Foxconn raised last week to ¥659 billion ($5.5 billion), according to people familiar with the matter. That compared with an offer from INCJ the people said was worth no more than ¥300 billion.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sharp-to-accept-foxconn-takeover-offer-report-says-1454557172

And we know Sharp was developing a Free-Form display, and there was rumors that Nintendo was the first big partner interested in said display.

We also know Foxconn has been a big partner for Nintendo when making the hardware.

So is it possible there is a connection?

He's a producer on Star Fox Zero, not a director. An d in that capacity:

713491-wiimusicuk.jpg

GrandiaX

Banned
I'm still hoping the translated Q&A is good for a couple oblique hints. Something like this:

Gerald Jones: Kimishima-san, will the NX screen be larger or smaller than a Zojirushi rice cooker lid?

Kimi-san: the NX console does not have a screen. The handheld screen is--ah, darn. だめです。 ��

Kimi-san: The NX is a new rice cooker for the Japanese market. Did you think it was for playing games?
Gerald Jones: ...............
Kimi-san: We don't make games anymore. Just Amiibos and rice cookers.

Caramello

I don't know if this been discussed:

And we know Sharp was developing a Free-Form display, and there was rumors that Nintendo was the first big partner interested in said display.

We also know Foxconn has been a big partner for Nintendo when making the hardware.

So is it possible there is a connection?

What exactly are you implying? They're both large companies with mutual customers other than Nintendo.

SalvaPot

What exactly are you implying? They're both large companies with mutual customers other than Nintendo.

Mostly I am thinking that the rumored free form display is a major component of the NX and, since Foxconn is the go-to manufacturer for Nintendo, maybe one of the reasons why they want to take over Sharp is in part to capitalize on said technology. Of course there is way more reasons to it, and thinking its just because of Nintendo is short-sighted at best, but it certainly could be a factor.

I just think its fun to make the connection.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The sales speak for themselves as to the controller being badly misconceived, even if it works well in some titles.
I fail to see how the fact that wiiU is not sufficiently popular negates the fact the wiiU gamepad works great in situations where it's used properly.

And from what I can tell, the reason why the game uses a bizarre "look back and forth between two screens" control scheme instead of more conventional analog/tilt controls is that Nintendo decided a couple years back that they merely hadn't "communicated" the "value" of the Game Pad properly to the ignorant masses, and greenlit a whole line of games with the aim of justifying the controller's existence (Giant Robot and Project Guard being the other two).
Nintendo management can be as dumb as any other management. I'm not arguing there have been some clearly forced uses of the gamepad screen. But blaming it on some misconceived gamepad is akin to blaming a badly designed platformer on the paradigms of the classical controller.

The second screen has its obvious good uses - off-screen, dual-screen multi, inventories, multi-control pads etc. (AFA, Trine, WW HD, Mario Maker, ZombiU) The size of the gamepad and positioning of the grips has its advantages - much more convenient for tilt & pan controls than a traditional controller, to the point of providing pointer-like precise targeting (Metroid Blast, Trifoce Quest, Splatoon). Those wiiU games that realized those advantages of the controller provide the player with better experience thanks to the controller. The rest don't. As simple as that.

Sticker Star released 2012 and Miyamoto had nothing to do with it's biggest shortcomings (flawed battlesystem, obtuse "puzzles" ) SS was not 'ruined' by the lack of new characters.

And people should fucking stop crediting Wii Music to Miyamoto, it was Kazumi Totaka's love child.

You've been able to purchase Wii U and 3DS games via the web for a while now.

But it's not built very well. And it only works for certain (Nintendo published, primarily) games. And you have to redeem the code in your email to get your system to background download it.

Basically, they half-assed it. The UX is bad all around. I'm really hoping they'll redo their entire online store.

It isn't out in the west yet but Nintendo Account in Japan is a lot better.

So you sign into your account on the nintendo Japan website, and you get a column to the right notifying you of any offers going on or new releases.

That aside, the Nintendo JP site becomes the web store, so you find the game you want (either through the front page marketing or maybe the 3DS software list) and then you click the eShop button, enter your card details, and the game starts downloading to your 3DS as soon as the transaction has finished.

I like this approach -- it allows for a more flexible shopping experience. For example, to download BOXBOY 2 onto my 3DS only took about 3 clicks to my card details:

Nintendo JP homepage -> Click BOXBOY 2 banner -> Click eShop button on the game's webpage

It'd be nice if third parties could integrate that eShop buy button onto their web pages for their games, so if you went on, say, the webpage for Yokai Watch 3, you could buy the game then and there on a whim.

Fawk Nin

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread but apparently recent Nintendo leaker Emily Rogers is now gone from twitter. Another indication to Nintendo NDAs at work maybe?

Not sure if this is relevant to this thread but apparently recent Nintendo leaker Emily Rogers is now gone from twitter. Another indication to Nintendo NDAs at work maybe?
From what i gathered in those threads, she was asked to back away from social media stuff by her boss, don't know if there had been any pressure from Nintendo.
That her leaks possibly got someone at Nintendo in trouble, that certainly is related to NDA, but i guess that's Mother 3 related.

Though, if they have harsh NDA's for game localizations (and we're talking about a VC game that's already on the JP eShop!), then i shudder thinking of the NDA's they have regarding a new system.

I guess they had to make some special NDA's for Ubisoft this time. :)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sticker Star released 2012 and Miyamoto had nothing to do with it's biggest shortcomings (flawed battlesystem, obtuse "puzzles" ) SS was not 'ruined' by the lack of new characters.

And people should fucking stop crediting Wii Music to Miyamoto, it was Kazumi Totaka's love child.

Before you slander Totaka's name, do you really think a passionate musician would make a music game where the only songs you play are free public domain songs? The project was not his love child, he was thrust on the director's seat after the previous director Makoto Wada was struggling with Miyamoto's bullet list concept of the project. Miyamoto enforced a horrible outline on the game, same way he did with Steel Diver. Some might say that enforcing that unattractive GamePad cockpit play is Miyamoto being Miyamoto again.

Phase 1, denial. :p

I don't care how good the game is really as Star Fox is my least favorite of Nintendo's well-known series.

I think it's because it's a game based on flying and I don't care for it in videogames.

I don't expect it to be bad though and I'm still laughing at these inside sources.

thefro

We'll have to wait for the official translation, but from what I can infer from Google Translate of the Q3 Q&A, it does seem like NX will impact Nintendo's fiscal year business in 2016 and that Kimishima should talk about it when results are released in May (he mentioned that he doesn't want to talk about things that aren't in the current FY).

We'll have to wait for the official translation, but from what I can infer from Google Translate of the Q3 Q&A, it does seem like NX will impact Nintendo's fiscal year business in 2016 and that Kimishima should talk about it when results are released in May (he mentioned that he doesn't want to talk about things that aren't in the current FY).

Oh snap

So May it is (stealth edit)

So it actually is looking like E3 predictions are more accurate

2016 is looking more jamm packed that 2015!!! Jesus my poor wallet

Eradicate

Great find! He's playing Kimishima hard ball.

Nailed it. No ban for me :p

eWA5F

You spilled information; the ninjas will get you yet!

I'm still hoping the translated Q&A is good for a couple oblique hints. Something like this:

Gerald Jones: Kimishima-san, will the NX screen be larger or smaller than a Zojirushi rice cooker lid?

Kimi-san: the NX console does not have a screen. The handheld screen is--ah, darn. だめです。 ��

This makes things interesting given all the prior toaster talk. I'm absolutely in favor of a rice cooker and toaster combo! The Nintendo Carbohydrate.

Mostly I am thinking that the rumored free form display is a major component of the NX and, since Foxconn is the go-to manufacturer for Nintendo, maybe one of the reasons why they want to take over Sharp is in part to capitalize on said technology. Of course there is way more reasons to it, and thinking its just because of Nintendo is short-sighted at best, but it certainly could be a factor.

I just think its fun to make the connection.

From what I've seen out there at the moment, Sharp's been a troubled company for a while. They currently have two bids out to aid them, one from Foxconn and the other from a Japanese-based governmental entity that has been "rescuing" failing Japanese technology companies. (That description is probably very poor, but it's the best I can gather, being unfamiliar with it.) Foxconn's offer is a lot more money (they keep increasing it), and they are vowing to not cut any of the workforce (possibly some management) and will work on restructuring what they actually focus on. I heard mention that they may eliminate their home appliance lines, for example.

As far as it impacting Nintendo and this display, I doubt it will cause any issues, especially right now. Foxconn and Sharp already have a working relationship (there is a subsidiary company they co-run), and I really doubt they would want to get rid of their patents, display expertise, and name recognition. Like you mentioned, Foxconn can gain a lot from this. I think they've been looking at Sharp for over a year now and haven't backed down.

It definitely is an interesting turn of events though for sure!

Lutherian

I'm wondering how the next Xenoblade / Monolith Soft. will look on NX...

Maybe in the next Xeno we'll have to hunt Noppons to skin them alive and craft armors and weapons with their skin.

Azure J

I just randomly popped in here to check up on NX stuff and I'm leaving nearly fully bummed out hearing about SF0. I really want a thrill ride SF64 successor with modern production and hearing that the game at a fundamental level could be busted just makes me all :( face, especially considering the future of this franchise.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Interesting. What does this have to do with NX if I might ask?
It's interesting in the context of NX hh. A53 has traditionally been considered as an entry-class phone uarch, yet clearly Canonical think A53 is adequate for a tablet-desktop convergence device - i.e. good enough for light-weight desktop use. Of course nintendo won't stick with A53 for the home NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom