• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

Unless handheld and console play the same exact games, there's no way in heck they'd release the systems like this.

Games come out in Japan before the west anyways plus some games come out in the west before Japan, it would be that big a deal, i'm talking like Nov. for 2016 and Feb -March 2017

From what I have heard, development hell would be characterizing it charitably.

More like "Everyone is panicking as the game gets sent to certification because certain fundamental control aspects simply don't work."

The core gameplay mechanic (play on TV and gamepad at the same time) has always seem fishy to me, to say the least. But this idea coming from Miyamoto himself, I guess people working on the game (platinum?) are forced to go with it.

Josh5890

More like "Everyone is panicking as the game gets sent to certification because certain fundamental control aspects simply don't work."

I really hope that isn't the case. I am more excited about Star Fox then any other game this year. SF 64 was my childhood.

Giving Platinum carte blanche on this game could have done wonders.
Sure the ship would keep transforming into a badass fighting robot half the time but it would have been a very intense ride.

maxcriden

I said both are running dry, but the Wii U isn't doing too badly. Leaving out late localizations (so no SMTxFE), there's...
  • Twilight Princess HD
  • Pokkén Tournament
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Paper Mario U (rumored)
  • Zelda U
It's not amazing, but the first 4 being in the first half of the year is an okay line-up. But my concern with the Wii U lies in the second half of the year.

You mean the first three, right? Was there any indication Paper Mario would come in H1? I expected a Sept. or so releae.

AzaK

Bummer, although everything we've seen of it hasn't inspired confidence in the product. I think it was more of a "What the hell can we release on this Wii U thing? Oh yeah people seem to like that Starfox thing, SHIP IT!"

Mory Dunz

Bummer, although everything we've seen of it hasn't inspired confidence in the product. I think it was more of a "What the hell can we release on this Wii U thing? Oh yeah people seem to like that Starfox thing, SHIP IT!"

Is that why it's been delayed half a year?

Yamauchi

Banned
Well, I have read every point and I still don't quite get it. I don't have the time to read all 70+ pages, so perhaps someone can help me. What it sounds like is that the main thing Nintendo seems to be focusing on here is a new operating system they are building that will allow them to create games that can work on a handheld and console without being ported. That would allow them to release incremental hardware improvements without breaking backward compatibility on software, at least for x number of years/versions. Basically just a Nintendo Android/iOS with Nintendo hardware, a single account system, and all the QoL stuff. That's what it sounds like. Am I wrong, or do we not know?

Well, I have read every point and I still don't quite get it. I don't have the time to read all 70+ pages, so perhaps someone can help me. What it sounds like is that the main thing Nintendo seems to be focusing on here is a new operating system they are building that will allow them to create games that can work on a handheld and console without being ported. That would allow them to release incremental hardware improvements without breaking backward compatibility on software, at least for x number of years/versions. Basically just a Nintendo Android/iOS with Nintendo hardware, a single account system, and all the QoL stuff. That's what it sounds like. Am I wrong, or do we not know?

Nail on the head and it should be awesome if they dont fuck it up

MegalonJJ

Banned

Is this in sole reference to the motion controls?

I ask because Nintendo confirmed last year that the motion Controls can be switched off ala Splatoon.

Maybe they should have just, you know, made a good fucking Star Fox game instead of attempting to justify the existence of a badly misconceived controller that the market has resoundingly rejected as a differentiator from other gaming platforms.

But nah.

Hermii

Wait... the Asahi article sourced Zhuge?? Because NE was using Asahi has its source. Which seems to say that QoL is shelved...whereas I thought you were saying Zhuge said QoL is coming in March or something...?

Not sure. Here is the tweet:

Apparently Nintendo's quality of life sleep tracker was scheduled for end of March but is now postponed to April due to development delays.

I have no idea how reliable this guy is (Zhuge)

maxcriden

Re: gimmicks in Nintendo games. ElTorro, I understand you disliked the touchscreen and microphone uses in Spirit Tracks and 3DW, but those were super minor utilisations in those games, so I hope you enjoyed the rest of what was on offer.

Re: Star Fox Zero. It looks and has looked like a remake of SF64. Snakeyes, you'll be glad to know the Arwing does transform into a robot. But it doesn't look that exciting. Aostia, I agree with you that I can see the controls being an extra non-inuitive cognitive level formany, myself included, and I suspect even if turning them off is an option the dual screen play is going to surely be the focus of advertising because otherwise it looks like a SF64 HD remake for the most part...so if that's clunky or at the least has a high learning curve as I suspect it will, that's going to be a tough hurdle in selling what was always going to be a niche game to begin with. Alberto, I'm surprised Platinum is only helping with graphics--I thought in interviews it was said they were working on the campaign? Not that I doubt you. Just wondering if their role changed or if the interviews indicating this were had translation issues.

I'm going to have to find a copy of Skygunner one of these days it looks much more fun than what happened to Star Fox.

The gamepad viewpoint system would even work better in that game compared to what I'm seeing here.

yes I am complaining about a game I have never played by comparing it to another (15 years old) game I have not played. but this looks pretty cool.
http://youtu.be/GXKBx9V_feM

Diffense

Star Fox 0's controls still intrigue me. I hope they're not broken just a little demanding. I think it could be fun to master and it's been a while since games offer any challenge. I've just been thinking about this the other day. Players are accustomed to getting proof of how awesome they are everytime they touch a controller since games are so damn easy. It's a natural consequence of there being so much expensive content which devs don't what to block the players from reaching. Anyway that's a whole other story.

I'm not too sure, unless they've yet to show off the fundamentally broken segments, the game should be fine though likely has a deep learning curve which will probably not help in the review department.
Hope it's nothing too worrying and that's I'll enjoy myself at least. Not sure why Miyamoto insisted in a year long dev time for star Fox

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Maybe they should have just, you know, made a good fucking Star Fox game instead of attempting to justify the existence of a badly misconceived controller that the market has resoundingly rejected as a differentiator from other gaming platforms.

But nah.
The controller is anything but badly misconceived, if you've ever played NintendoLand's Metroid Blast and Triforce Quest, or Spaltoon, for that matter. Of course, all those were made by a team who knew what they were doing.

Also, I refuse to play another racer, whether arcade or sim, where steering is on sticks - RR3 on tablets has shown me as much. So yeah, the gamepad can be a superb aerial/track steering controller, if the devs were just (1) shown how it works, and (2) left on their own to mind their business.

ika

Maybe have it as a Creator App Edition, where you can only play the levels in the actual game on Wii U and NX, but can create the levels on the phone/tablet. I think a fee is fair for it, but maybe Nintendo can use Nintendo Account to give owners of SMM the app for free?
It's way easier to bundle a bluetooth mouse with the game a la Mario Paint and the option to use any third party mouse if you go digital.

I'm late to the party / thread, but I'm glad Nintendo is finally doing something about accounts / their online store. Like, allowing people to purchase games from the website. PSN and Xbox Live both seem like services that will exist beyond my dying day, but I never got that impression with the eShop / Virtual Console. Nintendo certainly has a heck of a back catalog, so if they introduce a download service on par with the other two console makers (or Steam), I'll be thrilled.

Mory Dunz

There's obviously a minimum threshold of quality they have to reach but I think Starfox Wii U is a gap filler for a console that has next to nothing coming to it this year.

Your original statement made it seem like it was a rush-out-the-door job to have a release.

Whereas, we've heard that it's a game that's been in development/talks since the Wii era, but they haven't known what to do with it. And it's undergone a lot of changes and people working on it.

In terms of extremes, it's probably nearer to a FFXV than a Mario Ultra Tennis situation. The opposite of what you implied.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Your original statement made it seem like it was a rush-out-the-door job to have a release.

Whereas, we've heard that it's a game that's been in development/talks since the Wii era, but they haven't known what to do with it. And it's undergone a lot of changes and people working on it.

In terms of extremes, it's probably nearer to a FFXV than a Mario Ultra Tennis situation. The opposite of what you implied.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. It might have been started during Wii era, but it was abandoned until mid of 2014 when it was practically started again from scratch. And it was so much done during the Wii era that Nintendo didn't have much to show at E3 2014 to demonstrate the new idea from Miyamoto.

The controller is anything but badly misconceived, if you've ever played NintendoLand's Metroid Blast and Triforce Quest, or Spaltoon, for that matter. Of course, all those were made by a team who knew what they were doing.

Also, I refuse to play another racer, whether arcade or sim, where steering is on sticks - RR3 on tablets has shown me as much. So yeah, the gamepad can be a superb aerial/track steering controller, if the devs were just (1) shown how it works, and (2) left on their own to mind their business.

The sales speak for themselves as to the controller being badly misconceived, even if it works well in some titles.

And from what I can tell, the reason why the game uses a bizarre "look back and forth between two screens" control scheme instead of more conventional analog/tilt controls is that Nintendo decided a couple years back that they merely hadn't "communicated" the "value" of the Game Pad properly to the ignorant masses, and greenlit a whole line of games with the aim of justifying the controller's existence (Giant Robot and Project Guard being the other two).

atbigelow

I'm late to the party / thread, but I'm glad Nintendo is finally doing something about accounts / their online store. Like, allowing people to purchase games from the website. PSN and Xbox Live both seem like services that will exist beyond my dying day, but I never got that impression with the eShop / Virtual Console. Nintendo certainly has a heck of a back catalog, so if they introduce a download service on par with the other two console makers (or Steam), I'll be thrilled.
You've been able to purchase Wii U and 3DS games via the web for a while now.

But it's not built very well. And it only works for certain (Nintendo published, primarily) games. And you have to redeem the code in your email to get your system to background download it.

Basically, they half-assed it. The UX is bad all around. I'm really hoping they'll redo their entire online store.

Vena

But it's not built very well. And it only works for certain (Nintendo published, primarily) games. And you have to redeem the code in your email to get your system to background download it.

Basically, they half-assed it. The UX is bad all around. I'm really hoping they'll redo their entire online store.

You do? I've bought several games online and it just auto-downloads.

Piscus

Not exactly. You can either have them email the code or you can log into your NNID account on the same webpage after buying it and it will download directly to your Wii U or 3DS automatically.

bachikarn

The sales speak for themselves as to the controller being badly misconceived, even if it works well in some titles.

And from what I can tell, the reason why the game uses a bizarre "look back and forth between two screens" control scheme instead of more conventional analog/tilt controls is that Nintendo decided a couple years back that they merely hadn't "communicated" the "value" of the Game Pad properly to the ignorant masses, and greenlit a whole line of games with the aim of justifying the controller's existence (Giant Robot and Project Guard being the other two).

yeah, they clearly are failing to find 'value' in the two screen setup. very un-nintendo like to have a gimmick without a clean plan for why it's a good idea

MoonFrog

What if NX was just an additional online store for PS4/X1?

EDIT: I kid... I think.....it would be awesome

Better be on PC too in that case. Would be weird buying a non-Nintendo console just to play Nintendo games :p (Well, who knows maybe Sony/MS/third parties will convince me to buy one for some other reason. Could happen; has happened before, but I don't see it happening this generation.)

maxcriden

Yeah. Nothing outside of some mobile and My Nintendo talk

I'm still hoping the translated Q&A is good for a couple oblique hints. Something like this:

Gerald Jones: Kimishima-san, will the NX screen be larger or smaller than a Zojirushi rice cooker lid?

Kimi-san: the NX console does not have a screen. The handheld screen is--ah, darn. だめです。 😞

jnWake

I hope Star Fox Zero doesn't suck, since that could be the true death of the franchise. Well, at least I have Star Fox 3D to play I guess.

What if NX was just an additional online store for PS4/X1?

EDIT: I kid... I think.....it would be awesome
It's hardware. Not sure why you'd believe Sony, MS, or Nintendo would want that.
It seems like you just came in here to say you want Nintendo to go 3rd party in a thread discussing Nintendo's new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom