• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
My ideal good launch line-up:

NX Console (for the west in 2016):

- Zelda U
- Smash Bros 4 (can't call it "for NX" as that will conflict with Smash 5)
- Sonic 25th Anniversary game (Sonic Adventure 3 please? :( )
- Mario & Sonic Rio Olympics (nice to get that also as an extra Sonic game at launch, plus that one is published by Nintendo anyway)
- Raving Rabbids (an actual one, not spin-off like Rabbids Land)
- Batman: Arkham Knight "Armored Edition" (if we're getting one full recent AAA game, that'd be a good pick maybe)
- Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (it'd be a budget release like on PS4 and XBO, giving it a great edge and it'd be 100% polished and complete this time)
- Tekken 7
- Call of Duty 2016 (I doubt Activision will miss a launch, sadly this will be IW's game :/)
-
Crash Bandicoot game (if Sony doesn't have exclusivity on it)

NX Handheld (for Japan in 2016):

- Monster Hunter XG/Monster Hunter Stories (better the former I think, the latter can be Spring 2017 with the anime still airing)
- Yo-Kai Watch 3
- Etrian Odyssey 5
- Tales of Berseria/Tales of Vesperia (R)
- Warriors game (Hyrule Warriors?)
- Something from Marvelous? Too soon for Story of Seasons now.
- Phantasy Star Nova (hey, I can dream can't it?)
- Hatsune Miku (mirai or something new, Nendoroid or not)

Those are just general predictions, with only a couple crazy hopes. :p
If they will launch a GOTY Smash for the NX, chances are that won't be another Smash for the console, so makes sense call it "Smash for NX"

Also, the speculation is that the home and portable console will share the same library and it will be region free, so no restrictions, baby.

EhoaVash

I'm a dreamer so ...nx launch is Zelda port, FFxv port (since other versions is rumored to hit this summer ) monster hunter NeXt, smash 4 GOTY edition with all dlc, etc bundled with console :)

Realisitc me :/ - bunch of old ubisoft ports the division, watch dogs 2,just dance . Madden from EA, And probably the new destiny expansion.

This is all fine and dandy but what'd really be impressive is news on Retro. Then again, even they don't know what their new game is because they are under an Xzbit NDA.

Pokemaniac

Based on how the series has been treated in the past, I think it's highly likely that, for better or worse, there will only be one Smash Bros game released on NX.

Zelda U might not even be coming to NX. They have like two other teams working on Zelda and there's never a game too far behind. Ever thought of that?

Unless you think they're going to release yet another remake, I don't think they'd be able to manage to release a separate, completely unannounced Zelda title for the NX near launch. Zelda Wii U is going to be pulling a lot of resources right now, and they literally just released a handheld Zelda title. Where is this mysterious third title supposed to come from exactly? Based on past release dates, that would be an abnormally fast turnaround.

Unless you think they're going to release yet another remake, I don't think they'd be able to manage to release a separate, completely unannounced Zelda title for the NX near launch. Zelda Wii U is going to be pulling a lot of resources right now, and they literally just released a handheld Zelda title. Where is this mysterious third title supposed to come from exactly? Based on past release dates, that would be an abnormally fast turnaround.

A two or three years down the line because people are acting like Nintendo is going to put all their games out at launch with no idea about the NX's long term viability...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
A two or three years down the line because people are acting like Nintendo is going to put all their games out at launch with no idea about the NX's long term viability...

I think most people are now moving forward with the belief that Trevelyan9999's report (http://www.nintengen.com/2016/02/nintendo-nx-zelda-nx-confirmed-2016.html) is true. That report says that something he calls "Zelda NX" is planned to release during the launch window of the NX in 2016. If we move forward with that belief, then I believe that's why people would ask what other Zelda game could be launching on NX in 2016 if it's not a port of the Wii U one. I don't think anyone would dispute that other Zelda titles will be developed for NX down the line.

I think most people are now moving forward with the belief that Trevelyan9999's report (http://www.nintengen.com/2016/02/nintendo-nx-zelda-nx-confirmed-2016.html) is true. That report says that something he calls "Zelda NX" is planned to release during the launch window of the NX in 2016. If we move forward with that belief, then I believe that's why people would ask what other Zelda game could be launching on NX in 2016 if it's not a port of the Wii U one. I don't think anyone would dispute that other Zelda titles will be developed for NX down the line.

We don't know if it's true though. People are jumping to conclusions.

theecakee

I still really wish they would drop out of the console market and just make games for all platforms....I really don't want to buy a separate machine just for Nintendo, but Nintendo does make some good game.s

Pokemaniac

Ah, that would make more sense.

Still, Zelda is the kind of series where a Twilight Princess-style dual release would probably be the better approach to take with the releases of the game and new hardware in such close proximity to each other. A Wii U-only release could cannibalize NX sales, and with a dual release they could even do some sort of cross-buy promotion to incentivize Wii U owners to upgrade. That could be a good way to demonstrate the whole shared library thing.

Also, a strong launch would help the NX's long term viability. Obviously they don't need to release all of their IPs at once, but a few strong releases (like say, Zelda, Pikmin, and 3D Mario) could do wonders for the system.

Lingitiz

I still really wish they would drop out of the console market and just make games for all platforms....I really don't want to buy a separate machine just for Nintendo, but Nintendo does make some good game.s

As always, the Nintendo that would do this is not the same Nintendo as today. You would see a significant downsizing and a focus on only a few games. Nintendo releases more games across their two platforms than any other publisher in a single year, because they must support their platform and the revenue gives them the ability to maintain that size.

theecakee

As always, the Nintendo that would do this is not the same Nintendo as today. You would see a significant downsizing and a focus on only a few games. Nintendo releases more games across their two platforms than any other publisher in a single year, because they must support their platform and the revenue gives them the ability to maintain that size.

I'd still be fine with fewer Nintendo games but better access to them.

My ideal good launch line-up:

NX Console (for the west in 2016):

- Zelda U
- Sonic 25th Anniversary game (Sonic Adventure 3 please? :( )
- Mario & Sonic Rio Olympics (nice to get that also as an extra Sonic game at launch, plus that one is published by Nintendo anyway)
- Raving Rabbids (an actual one, not spin-off like Rabbids Land)
- Batman: Arkham Knight "Armored Edition" (if we're getting one full recent AAA game, that'd be a good pick maybe)
- Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (it'd be a budget release like on PS4 and XBO, giving it a great edge and it'd be 100% polished and complete this time)
- Tekken 7
- Call of Duty 2016 (I doubt Activision will miss a launch, sadly this will be IW's game :/)
-
Crash Bandicoot game (if Sony doesn't have exclusivity on it)

NX Handheld (for Japan in 2016):

- Monster Hunter XG/Monster Hunter Stories (better the former I think, the latter can be Spring 2017 with the anime still airing)
- Yo-Kai Watch 3
- Etrian Odyssey 5
- Tales of Berseria/Tales of Vesperia (R)
- Warriors game (Hyrule Warriors?)
- Something from Marvelous? Too soon for Story of Seasons now.
- Phantasy Star Nova (hey, I can dream can't it?)
- Hatsune Miku (mirai or something new, Nendoroid or not)

Those are just general predictions, with only a couple crazy hopes. :p

You can't launch the handheld without at least one major first-party franchise (Mario, etc.).

I'd still be fine with fewer Nintendo games but better access to them.

If fewer Nintendo games means no experimental/niche stuff like Wonderful 101 or Chibi-Robo or Ouendan then I'm not sure if it's a sacrifice that's good for us as players in the long run.

I mean, look at Sega's output before and after they went third-party. The difference is staggering. That's what would happen to Nintendo.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I mean, look at Sega's output before and after they went third-party. The difference is staggering. That's what would happen to Nintendo.

Keep in mind that SEGA was still supporting the arcade scene during the Saturn and Dreamcast, which essentially doubled their output when they could easily port the games over to console.

Lingitiz

If fewer Nintendo games means no experimental/niche stuff like Wonderful 101 or Chibi-Robo or Ouendan then I'm not sure if it's a sacrifice that's good for us as players in the long run.

A third party Nintendo would be cool for the first couple of years....but then gradually they would downsize while lessening the amount of experimental games in their portfolio. You wouldn't get a Xenoblade Chronicles/X, Splatoon, or the games you listed. Deals like Bayo 2 wouldn't happen because there would be no need.

When you're a platform holder there's a lot of things that get done to win hearts and minds, expand portfolio and platform perception...things that don't always show and immediate impact in terms of dollar value. As rough as the Wii U/3DS era has been sales-wise on the console side, the last few years of Nintendo output have been really great. It's been a lot of throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks.

squid

Can't believe the disrespectful way bish has been talked about here. Why bite the gracious hand that feeds? Wouldn't want to be counting on any mercy from him when he and his mighty ban hammer turn their attention to us.

Keep in mind that SEGA was still supporting the arcade scene during the Saturn and Dreamcast, which essentially doubled their output when they could easily port the games over to console.

Man, I even forgot about Sega's arcade stuff. Wow, that just makes the difference even more stark. :/

What new non one-off IPs that stuck have they made since the PS3/360 gen? Valkyria Chronicles and Bayonetta (which needed Nintendo to step in for the sequel to get any funding)?

A third party Nintendo would be cool for the first couple of years....but then gradually they would downsize while lessening the amount of experimental games in their portfolio. You would get a Xenoblade Chronicles/X, Splatoon, or the games you listed. Deals like Bayo 2 wouldn't happen because there would be no need.

When you're a platform holder there's a lot of things that get done to win hearts and minds, expand portfolio and platform perception...things that don't always show and immediate impact in terms of dollar value. As rough as the Wii U/3DS era has been sales-wise on the console side, the last few years of Nintendo output have been really great. It's been a lot of throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks.

Basically. Nintendo knows that these smaller projects are loss leaders of a sort. Maybe they're not blockbusters like DK and Pokemon, but they make their platform more appealing and enticing as a whole. And yeah, the Wii U and 3DS have been pretty insane and varied as far as both blockbusters and niche/passion projects go.

Without the incentive and company size to do that (since exiting hardware business would almost certainly involve a downsizing in structure), it'd be all cost-recouping blockbusters, all the time.

Can't believe the disrespectful way bish has been talked about here. Why bite the gracious hand that feeds? Wouldn't want to be counting on any mercy from him when he and his mighty ban hammer turn their attention to us.

This entire thread is a sweaty, thirsty pit of nerds. We might get our first legit rumors and people are tripping over themselves to shout down the leaker with "I already knew that!" (they didn't) and have also somehow attracted the "Nintendo needs to stop making hardware and make games for my preferred platform!" loonies in a thread about new Nintendo hardware. I won't say it's quite carnival of stupid levels but it is getting embarrassing.

Luigiv

Platinum games of course. ;)

Kyolux

What new non one-off IPs that stuck have they made since the PS3/360 gen? Valkyria Chronicles and Bayonetta (which needed Nintendo to step in for the sequel to get any funding)?

Yakuza? (That started on PS2 though), Miku? (not sure when that one started)

But yeah, your point stands. :)

This entire thread is a sweaty, thirsty pit of nerds. We might get our first legit rumors and people are tripping over themselves to shout down the leaker with "I already knew that!" (they didn't) and have also somehow attracted the "Nintendo needs to stop making hardware and make games for my preferred platform!" loonies in a thread about new Nintendo hardware. I won't say it's quite carnival of stupid levels but it is getting embarrassing.

This will sadly always happen.

Lebon14

Is it completely unrealistic at this point to expect Pokemon Z to appear on the NX?

X/Y came out in fall of 2013. We're going on 2.5 years now without another Gen. VI entry. Is this the longest we've had to wait between games of the same generation?

Hope something is announced soon either way.

Not gonna happen. Look at B2W2. They were released for the DS even when the 3DS was already out. Gen VII will probably be on portable NX though...

QaaQer

I wonder when someone will be brave enough to give us our first legit rumor about hardware specs.

Were you here for the Wii u? We never got specs. We had to offer to pay a company--who, iirc, ended up doing it for free--to delid the CPU and GPU and take high magnification images so we could try and figure stuff out by counting blocks etc. Specs aren't coming.

Nerrel

If NX has a unified library between the handheld and console, it would leverage their strengths when it comes to hardware and provide something great that MS and Sony can't, as neither of them have a healthy handheld business. A combined handheld and console platform could easily eclipse every other system in terms of having the largest install base, which may actually be the thing that finally brings 3rd parties back (imagine if every Wii U game had also sold on 3DS... developers wouldn't have abandoned the system so quickly if the full handheld audience were added to the install base). It could also solve the problem of regional differences with Japan being mobile heavy while the West is more console friendly, since each region can focus on the appropriate system without sacrificing the other system's software sales. Not to mention that combining both systems would offer all the things the Wii U (and PS4/Vita) did in terms of dual screen and off-TV play, but better since the handheld would be natively running the games instead of streaming them. You could play a full console game at home, save your data to the cloud, and take the same game anywhere on your handheld, wifi or not, and pick up right where you left off.

It's such an interesting idea that Nintendo only can do, and they can only do it through their own hardware. Even if Nintendo doesn't deliver on the potential of this NX idea, they're the only company that regularly tries to innovate and push things forward. Almost every feature on our current controllers originated from a Nintendo gamepad- from the analog stick to rumble to dedicated camera controls to the diamond layout to trigger buttons- and without Nintendo to push those ideas that MS and Sony eventually copy and absorb, the industry would stagnate. We'd be using the same dual analog controllers 20 years from now (Although Sony is providing some impressive support for VR this gen).

Instro

Were you here for the Wii u? We never got specs. We had to offer to pay a company--who, iirc, ended up doing it for free--to delid the CPU and GPU and take high magnification images so we could try and figure stuff out by counting blocks etc. Specs aren't coming.

We got enough info to know the relative power of the machine, which is all anyone really cares about.

lol.. that was really silly not going to lie. Not saying the people who chipped in are cause I am next time but it was still stoop

Pineapple

Ah yes, a new week begins where we will continue knowing shit about NX and Nintendo being dead silent as usual.

If some version of the NX is releasing this year, I just can't see Nintendo waiting until E3 to reveal...anything.

They need take a look at Sony to understand how to properly operate a hype train. You have to plant the seeds early and let the hype brew for months before cranking up the temperature.

My source informed me that it was ok to reveal that they are an Employee that works for Nintendo of America’s Marketing. This is safe to reveal since Nintendo of America is made up of mostly either marketing or corporate positions.

Nintendo as a company is designed in a way that nobody knows the entire picture of what Nintendo is working besides the few people in upper positions, so any leaker that says they have a Nintendo "source" and seems to be saying everything Nintendo fans want to hear should be a dead giveaway as fake. The people in a position to know NX details are not automatically going to know about different games in development (Strong NDA?), developers really are the only ones that know what they are making, and Nintendo marketing only works with a few projects at a time with marketing budgets usually refer to codenames to keep projects secret.

The proof shown to me was an internal US marketing budget and scheduling overview for 2016 focusing on Wii U and 3DS.

Nintendo NX Launch games for 2016 besides Zelda NX and marketing focus remain hidden for now
Wii U $34.5 million marketing budget for 2016 total – Zelda Wii U has $10 million with the possibility of the funding being switched to Zelda NX version depending on launch timing in 2016.
3DS $56.25 million marketing budget for 2016 total

3DS release list 2016:
Spring-Early Summer
Mario and Sonic Rio 2016
Nintendo Selects Wave 1
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Disney Art Academy
Bravely Second
Code Name: “Caviar F” (casual friendly smaller budget game)
Metroid Prime: Federation Force

Summer
Code name: “Torte City” big budget unannounced game for all gamers core/all ages
Dragon Quest VII
Code name: “Cadillac” (casual friendly smaller budget game late summer)

Fall-Holiday
3DS Hardware Price Cut
Code name: “N-Stars” big budget game for all ages
Nintendo Selects Wave 2
Code name: “DMW2” possibly Disney Magical World 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Pokémon 20th Anniversary game “Niji” Japanese translation: “Rainbow”

^if I were In your shoes I would remove the department. The NDA breaking could lead to a head hunt in said department. I know it would where I work. Edit: ok, if you're confident that they're safe.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ess-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers-say

actually we did a good source of wii u power way before release, of course many nintendo fans ignored it, cause it wasn't official, and not something they wanted to hear.

The graphics are just not that powerful. It just doesn't have as many shaders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom