• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to Michael Pachter?

Fbh

Companies probably realized a magic 8 ball is a one time $9.99 purchase and can predict things about as accurately as Pachter.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He took a sabbatical after finally being right about something when he predicted the Activision deal will close.

YukiOnna

Not sure! I miss him, I enjoyed Pach-Attack and regularly watched it in my Gametrailers days.
I don't really care if he was wrong or right, just predictions at the end of the day and it was fun alongside his appearances in the Bonus Round.

Good times

SkylineRKR

I remember Pachter. He was an analyst during the PS360 era and his write ups were often posted on message boards, and they were often flat out wrong. He became aware of this, and joined the fray. He posted and he got an item on GT. He became some sort of a character and was rather tongue in cheek.

I'm not sure but I think he was the one that claimed Nintendo is doomed. And then the opposite happened.

I remember Pachter. He was an analyst during the PS360 era and his write ups were often posted on message boards, and they were often flat out wrong. He became aware of this, and joined the fray. He posted and he got an item on GT. He became some sort of a character and was rather tongue in cheek.

I'm not sure but I think he was the one that claimed Nintendo is doomed. And then the opposite happened.

I remember that and as a reminder for those who were there:

ektmcMR.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
Well first of all he's not a pundit, he's an analyst at a securities firm. Every investment company has tons of these people working on all these industries. He still does that job, so I don't think that people are right when they say he was always wrong and super incompetent or whatever. So... my guess is at some point his employer thought it was a good idea for him to get that public face as a way to drum up business. Then "gamers" noticed, did what gamers do, he put his foot in mouth on one or two occasions, and then the employer changed their mind.

Last edited:
People were/are beyond stupid in misunderstanding his opinions about what he thinks about current stuff or what he thinks what should happen and should be done (instead) which I think 99% of his videos were about, and his actual work, which is probably more about boring numbers, covering only a few companies in the sector. If he would be as bad in his analysis as people always thought, he would have gotten fired- even though stock market money is very much based on nothing and many pretty useless people make millions there-, but as I said people confused his work with his personal opinions which are as valuable as anyone else's, just a random consumer with some peripheral job not even directly in gaming but finance.

Top Bottom