• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a good pick up and play game?

ROMhack

I've been playing Spelunky since the old PC version (I liked those level tunes better :cry: ). Much love. I've only beaten it two or three times, so it's not like I'm even that great at it.

I bounced off most open-world games this gen. I'm sick of them. BotW keeps pulling me in. They designed it really well.

Nah, Divinity and BG are slow-paced in comparison. They're both good franchises, but you'll often spend 15m talking to all the NPCs in town, or 5m carefully reading through an interesting lore book. They are dense classic-style WRPGs where the experience is meant to be digested 1-2 hours at a time. Diablo 3 is about churning through bloody content as you bathe in loot. It has as much in common with those RPGs as DOOM (2016) has in common with a Far Cry game.

Have you played Disgaea?

Ah, good to know.

I do like Disgaea yeah. Only played 4 but I think that level/chapter structure would suit pick up 'n play pretty well.

I will reward you in advance with a cookie.

FOXS-Extremely-Chocolatey-Dark-Chocolate.jpg

Hazelnuts?! Bitch get that shit outta my face!

On Switch there's quite a few great bite-sized games suited for breif portable play! I recommend looking up some footage for these games and see if they're your kinda thing!

- Sonic Mania
- Steamworld Dig 2
- Katana Zero
- Crypt of the Necrodancer
- Downwell
- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
- Doom
- Doom II
- Cave Story +
- Katamari Damacy ReRoll

Are all pretty good in short bursts. Not too long either so the time investment isn't too large! All of these are on PC as well.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Ah, good to know.

I do like Disgaea yeah. Only played 4 but I think that level/chapter structure would suit pick up 'n play pretty well.
I mentioned Disgaea (I am a longtime fan of the franchise) because Diablo 3's structure kinda feels similar. Both games give you all the tools to "break" it with incredibly powerful builds. You push your build into higher and higher difficulties, tweaking them as you go, exploiting whatever bonuses and synergies of gear that you can pull off at the time.

ROMhack

I mentioned Disgaea (I am a longtime fan of the franchise) because Diablo 3's structure kinda feels similar. Both games give you all the tools to "break" it with incredibly powerful builds. You push your build into higher and higher difficulties, tweaking them as you go, exploiting whatever bonuses and synergies of gear that you can pull off at the time.

Oh right, fair.

On the subject of Disgaea, would you recommend 1 or 5? It might end up being more of a weekend game but I'm kinda in the mood for a jovial game like it.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Slay the Spire and the fighting game du jour are my pick up and.play games. Occasionally Forza 7, but it takes forever to get the track loaded and into a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom