• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a typical stereotype of Linkin Park fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
They have this at the end of their post:

~I tried so hard and got so far
But in the end it doesn't even matter.~
yuzuriha_inori___forum_signature_by_noctak-d5tl0w6.png

lol I remember that thread. so good.

edit: yup, there it is:

NotLiquid

anime and linkin park go hand in hand. They're equally as relevant and 'cool'

To be fair, the band members are said to be huge nerds themselves (including Gundams in the Somewhere I Belong video and the Reanimation cover) and two of the band members are of Asian descent (ATS has some Japanese lyrics in one of the songs). Kind of hard not to make the connection as a result.

Some of their old material is pretty decent. Living Things and Reanimation are the only albums I really like, and on a complete listen A Thousand Suns is alright. Saw them live once because of it and they put on a hell of a show.

Minutes to Midnight is garbage.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What are Linkin Park fans usually portrayed as?

Someone who knows point of authority or papercut word by word. I know most of their songs by heart, but those two are your best bets.

Not emo, but mood deficient. Not depressed, but... Artistic?

Kade

Under 18: Kids who can probably relate to the lyrics

18+: People who "don't care" to the point that it's detrimental to their emotional health and how they present themselves to others but they actually do care but they can't let anyone know. They've now created a persona of not caring that they have to care about. Linkin Park are the band shirt or sweat pants of music.

Soodanim

It's not like their music is deep or anything, and maybe it's nostalgia to a point, but I can still enjoy the older stuff.

I quite like Hybrid Theory and I happily listen to Reanimation (mostly for the features, like Chali 2na). Even Meteora was okay, although recent listens (after ~5 years) have lost it a few points. Collision Course (with Jay-Z) was decent, and still gets plays today.

I forgot they existed for years, and when I found that they were still releasing music and listened to some I didn't know what the fuck was going on.

I like Linkin Park...

They remind me of my angsty teenaged years where I was young and dumb and thought I knew how the world works.

bill0527

GameStop used to have some video on loop on their in-store displays and it was always playing that damn song NUMB.

I think my favorite thing about having friends who like Linkin Park too is you can belt out literally any big chorus lyric and they'll know exactly what you're talking about.

CRAWLINGGGG IN MY SKINN!!

Manu

I'm 25 and consider myself to be a fan, and I also think they made some great music after the nu metal phase. I consider their fourth album, A Thousand Suns, to be the best.

The thing that REALLY sucks about being a fan is not the outdated jokes (which we've heard a thousand times), is that even if you like other music (I'm a big fan of progressive rock and death metal, for example), saying you like LP totally invalidates the rest of your musical taste for some people. It's like "yeah... but you also like Linkin Park."

Oni3298

I don't get what's wrong with liking a band when you were younger and growing up with them and still (shocker) liking them years later.

I do and always will love Linkin Park.

To be fair, the band members are said to be huge nerds themselves (including Gundams in the Somewhere I Belong video and the Reanimation cover) and two of the band members are of Asian descent (ATS has some Japanese lyrics in one of the songs). Kind of hard not to make the connection as a result.

They also got their own version of the GP01Fb gunpla kit and had "The Catalyst" be the official theme song to Gundam Extreme VS, thus closing the loop. xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr2OCqJ5EKI

box_cover10.png

I'm 25 and consider myself to be a fan, and I also think they made some great music after the nu metal phase. I consider their fourth album, A Thousand Suns, to be the best.

The thing that REALLY sucks about being a fan is not the outdated jokes (which we've heard a thousand times), is that even if you like other music (I'm a big fan of progressive rock and death metal, for example), saying you like LP totally invalidates the rest of your musical taste for some people. It's like "yeah... but you also like Linkin Park."

Metal purists absolutely HATE nu metal.

I don't like metal purists lol

0xCA2

Under 18: Kids who can probably relate to the lyrics

18+: People who "don't care" to the point that it's detrimental to their emotional health and how they present themselves to others but they actually do care but they can't let anyone know. They've now created a persona of not caring that they have to care about. Linkin Park are the band shirt or sweat pants of music.
So people who listen to music that they like vs music that they'd look cool or sophisticated for liking? Fair enough.

Manu

It's also worth noting that all the jokes and stereotyping come from the nu metal era, which only lasted two albums (they're about to release their sixth), or even one song, Crawling, which they even stopped playing live.

N.A

Banned
They get far too much hate. They aren't the deepest band in the world but they write catchy songs with lyrics teens can relate to. There are far worse bands, it's just they haven't sold well over 50 million records.

I loved HT & Meteora, not a big fan of the stuff they have done since.

Enron

Banned
They also got their own version of the GP01Fb gunpla kit and had "The Catalyst" be the official theme song to Gundam Extreme VS, thus closing the loop. xD

All the LP-Gundam connections all make perfect sense seeing as how 75% of Gundam's pilots seem like they would be big fans.

They get far too much hate. They aren't the deepest band in the world but they write catchy songs with lyrics teens can relate to. There are far worse bands, it's just they haven't sold well over 50 million records.

I loved HT & Meteora, not a big fan of the stuff they have done since.

Didn't hybrid theory go double platinum or something?

I remember it sold a crazy number for a nu metal band.

sappyday

AMV is all I think of when I hear them. Although they were the band that got me into the rock scene which led to other types of rock.

RulkezX

Didn't hybrid theory go double platinum or something?

I remember it sold a crazy number for a nu metal band.

It was the biggest selling album of the year worldwide that year , and I believe the biggest selling album of the 000's with 27. Million sales.

agrajag

Banned
Wasn't that meme from like 8-10 years ago? ... just looking at it makes me feel old.

Also, remember when the majority videos on Youtube were just Dragonball Z clips mixed with the song "Numb" or "In The End"?

LMAO, no one dressed like that 8-10 years ago. The picture itself must have been from the early 90's.

Emo was a stereotype of Linkin Park?

News to me, I never went to a concert, but the kids that liked linkin park in my experience were loner types. I was friends with outcasts, go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr2OCqJ5EKI

box_cover10.png

I love big dumb robuts and Linkin Park!

I should pick this up if its available.

depths20XX

That era of rock/nu-metal music (late 90's/early 00's) was so embarrassing. Linking Park, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, Korn. Way too much angst. I don't know how these bands still have fan bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom