• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a typical stereotype of Linkin Park fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That era of rock/nu-metal music (late 90's/early 00's) was so embarrassing. Linking Park, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, Korn. Way too much angst. I don't know how these bands still have fan bases.

You forgot Papa Roach and SOAD.

I think that if you grew up with it, its a huge guilty pleasure.

Most bands couldn't move past nu metal, so Im really glad Linkin Park did.

Shinoda and Bennington has a great chemistry from what I can see. You wanna talk about embarrassing, lets talk about Fort Minor.

Linkin park fans had to go into hiding because when certain people grew out of them, fans were ridiculed.

I blame thousand suns and minutes to midnight, both terrible albums. They turned it around with Living Things though.

Pretty much this. Except you can replace "Linkin Park" with just about any band in existance. Things that were tossed into the umbrella of "Nu-metal" in particular are pretty much treated in this regard currently.

The Deftones seems like one of the few that the internet has deemed acceptable enough to avoid ridicule.

Piccoro

That era of rock/nu-metal music (late 90's/early 00's) was so embarrassing. Linking Park, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, Korn. Way too much angst. I don't know how these bands still have fan bases.

Except for Limp Bizkit, I still love every band you mention there!

Majestad

Banned

Shinoda and Bennington has a great chemistry from what I can see. You wanna talk about embarrassing, lets talk about Fort Minor.

Fort Minor is awesome, wtf dude?

More that I find it strange if you were into them back then and still haven't grown out of them.

I don't think you necessarily have to grow out of something to expand your musical taste. You can still like the things you liked when you were younger AND like new stuff you've discovered too, no?

Why does one have to replace things they previously enjoyed? The unfortunate part is, like someone else mentioned in this thread, on the internet especially, if you have Linkin Park (or any Nu-metal band) as part of a list of bands you like you are automatically dismissed. It's as if your entire range of musical taste is somehow spoiled if you can still drop Hybrid Theory or Follow the Leader in your car.

I´m sure as hell break any kind of stereotype of any kind when is related to music, the only thing that really is important to me is if i like the music, right now i´m listening to the last albums of jason isbell, manic street preachers and Wilko johnson, and i also listen from time to time to Linkin park, Disturbed or whatever strikes my fancy, i have to little time to be worried about what anyone could think, is been that way all my life, when i was way younger a used to listen to iron maiden, scorpions, and also the clash, and also the smiths, and also Pet shop boys and still do. Man, Who cares

you better beat that dead horse on a dream theater track... should be long enough to kill it again and again with this tired shitty argument. Because it be no true.

Linkin Park has some really good songs. They just do. Face it. They make mainstream rock. That's what I wanna call it, and it's great. Because besides Foo Fighters there is literally no mainstream rock left.

Fort Minor is awesome, wtf dude?

I got real sick of Remember The Name and Where'd You Go after hearing both a thousand times.

The Rising Tied is a solid album, but Jay-Z producing has a part of that album being solid.

I would've thought a Shinoda/Styles of Beyond would make sick rap albums, but the album was just meh.

MadSexual

I don't think you necessarily have to grow out of something to expand your musical taste. You can still like the things you liked when you were younger AND like new stuff you've discovered too, no?

Why does one have to replace things they previously enjoyed? The unfortunate part is, like someone else mentioned in this thread, on the internet especially, if you have Linkin Park (or any Nu-metal band) as part of a list of bands you like you are automatically dismissed. It's as if your entire range of musical taste is somehow spoiled if you can still drop Hybrid Theory or Follow the Leader in your car.
You don't have to grow out of something because you've enjoyed it for a long time. If you genuinely like this stuff, then good for you. Most people say they grow out of bands like Linkin Park because their musical and lyrical ideas are extremely simple and connect with a lot of young people that haven't necessarily spent much time fostering appreciation for these modes of expression. Once they do, they realize that plenty of other music has a more profound effect on them and acts like Linkin Park return significantly less per listen. Its simply a matter of the brain making better musical/verbal connections with experience and getting more pleasure from more sophisticated material. That's why they grow out of it.

you better beat that dead horse on a dream theater track... should be long enough to kill it again and again with this tired shitty argument. Because it be no true.

Linkin Park has some really good songs. They just do. Face it. They make mainstream rock. That's what I wanna call it, and it's great. Because besides Foo Fighters there is literally no mainstream rock left.

a pretty sad state of affairs, and i´m not even sure Linkin Park is even making rock of any kind anymore, Muse has also left rock behind, how i liked hysteria´s riff

Dilly

Banned

Queens of the stone Age, man.

You don't have to grow out of something because you've enjoyed it for a long time. If you genuinely like this stuff, then good for you. Most people say they grow out of bands like Linkin Park because their musical and lyrical ideas are extremely simple and connect with a lot of young people that haven't necessarily spent much time fostering appreciation for these modes of expression. Once they do, they realize that plenty of other music has a more profound effect on them and acts like Linkin Park return significantly less per listen. Its simply a matter of the brain making better musical/verbal connections with experience and getting more pleasure from more sophisticated material. That's why they grow out of it.
that sophisticated road is a pretty dangerous one one to take, i have a friend and i´m not kidding that stopped listening to the stones and the beatles for that same reason to start listening only Opera and classical music because it was more sophisticated and mature, music works trough emotion and either you like something or not, and a lot of people seems to be embarrased of what kind of music they get emotions from, that´s also why bands that everybody thought weren´t cool in its time are cool twenty years or more later and are classics or inspirations

Queens of the stone Age, man.

TdBLL4B.gif

But I dont think they are that mainstream mate. I just dont. I think they are highly respected, but they are not some radio hit that comes on the mall and my parents hum it all the way home. Linkin Park is popular because it's easy tunes a lot of the time.

Some of them are almost pop ballads. I like this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIummTz9mM

We seem to agree on this point then. Like what you like and what not.

In my previous post, I asked why do you have to grow out of something because it is used frequently on the internet (a LOT in Music threads here) as a metric to judge another individual. I understand the point of growing and expanding your musical horizons. Everyone should be doing so. What I do not understand is that, if I list 20 various bands I like and somewhere Linkin Park or Korn appeared on the list, why is my opinion somehow no longer of any value? That shouldn't be happening.

I'm sure there are plenty of people like you and me that like what we like and have grown through different tastes in music over years. The phrase "growing out of it" has been used to suggest that a band like Linkin Park is strictly for immature angsty shut-ins (hence the stereotyping).

jstripes

Banned

Dark times indeed.

Grunge, whatever you think of it, was at least earnest in its negativity. Nu Metal was just angry, overproduced bro music.

MadSexual

that sophisticated road is a pretty dangerous one one to take, i have a friend and i´m not kidding that stopped listening to the stones and the beatles for that same reason to start listening only Opera and classical music because it was more sophisticated and mature, music works trough emotion and either you like something or not, and a lot of people seems to be embarrased of what kind of music they get emotions from, that´s also why bands that everybody thought weren´t cool in its time are cool twenty years or more later and are classics or inspirations
When I say "sophisticated," I don't necessarily mean stuffy, academic, classy or other adjectives based on perceived superiority. I mean the extent to which the intricacy of a piece of music or poetry delights the brain. Whether or not you agree that opera and "classical" music is better, it is objectively more intricate and complex than anything the Stones did. It seems most people max out their ability (or enthusiasm) to enjoy complicated music before reaching the art music stage and there's nothing wrong with that, but unless your friend only listens to the stuff to try to look smarter or classier or whatever, then I have no doubt that he is enjoying a more substantial emotional experience than anything classic rock can give him.

Macka

I still throw on Hybrid Theory or Meteora every once in a while, but their stuff after that is pretty average.

Saw them live at a music festival last year though and they put on a great show.

The hate for this band gets a little ridiculous at times. They're nostalgic for a lot of people.

jstripes

Banned
When I say "sophisticated," I don't necessarily mean stuffy, academic, classy or other adjectives based on perceived superiority. I mean the extent to which the intricacy of a piece of music or poetry delights the brain. Whether or not you agree that opera and "classical" music is better, it is objectively more intricate and complex than anything the Stones did. It seems most people max out their ability (or enthusiasm) to enjoy complicated music before reaching the art music stage and there's nothing wrong with that, but unless your friend only listens to the stuff to try to look smarter or classier or whatever, then I have no doubt that he is enjoying a more substantial emotional experience than anything classic rock can give him.

Some people take the "pretentious twat" route, though. It's a fact. This guy at work one year just stopped listening to anything but classical and jazz. And not the good stuff, either. Just what the local classic and jazz radio stations played.

Superflat

Typical stereotype would be middle and high school students who use Linkin Park music to amplify the drama in their lives (which is usually petty or nonexistent).

Personally, Linkin Park has nostalgia going for it, but their brand of angst is no longer relatable.

styl3s

More that I find it strange if you were into them back then and still haven't grown out of them.
A lot of people say the same thing about grown ass men playing video games.

I find it strange that people care so much what people watch, listen to or play. Your posts are the very definition of those shitty pictures with "Stop liking what i dont like" text on them.

depths20XX

A lot of people say the same thing about grown ass men playing video games.

I find it strange that people care so much what people watch, listen to or play. Your posts are the very definition of those shitty pictures with "Stop liking what i dont like" text on them.

Hmm, but there are all different kinds of video games.

I think MadSexual explained it better than I can. I just associate that style of music with angsty teenagers. The lyrics are literally that, angst filled. I used to enjoy some nu metal myself but after a while I just didn't enjoy it anymore. Like whatever you like, I really don't care.

MadSexual

Some people take the "pretentious twat" route, though. It's a fact. This guy at work one year just stopped listening to anything but classical and jazz. And not the good stuff, either. Just what the local classic and jazz radio stations played.
Again, you don't seem to be saying much about the person's involvement in music other than that he excludes traditionally common and accessible styles. Jazz and "classical" are simply the most complex and rewarding styles of music for a lot of people who make that investment in listening and feeling. Mainstream "pop" styles do not have the subtlety that art styles do. You don't have to agree that one or the other is better, but that much is a defining difference between the approaches.

You don't have to be trying to impress people if you avoid pop styles; you might simply not get any pleasure from them. It's far more alienating to be exclusive like that, so if the guy's trying to be hip or cool, it's just going to make his life a lot harder. More likely he actually enjoys it far more than pop.

It's awesome to me that the craziest jazz out there used to be considered pop, but genealogically that's correct. I'm approaching jazz now from the modern acceptance that it is perhaps the most significant musical development of the 20th century.

jstripes

Banned
Again, you don't seem to be saying much about the person's involvement in music other than that he excludes traditionally common and accessible styles. Jazz and "classical" are simply the most complex and rewarding styles of music for a lot of people who make that investment in listening and feeling. Mainstream "pop" styles do not have the subtlety that art styles do. You don't have to agree that one or the other is better, but that much is a defining difference between the approaches.

You don't have to be trying to impress people if you avoid pop styles; you might simply not get any pleasure from them. It's far more alienating to be exclusive like that, so if the guy's trying to be hip or cool, it's just going to make his life a lot harder. More likely he actually enjoys it far more than pop.

It's awesome to me that the craziest jazz out there used to be considered pop, but genealogically that's correct. I'm approaching jazz now from the modern acceptance that it is perhaps the most significant musical development of the 20th century.

"Mainstream" is the key word. Easy to digest music for tweens, office workers, and whatever else in between. Disposable music you don't have to think about.

Anyway, myself, I have a broad taste in music. Classical may not be my thing, but I do love jazz. Certain types, anyway.

But the idea that one can suddenly just stop appreciating different kinds of music just baffles me. My dad, who is almost 70 and constantly complains that the CBC stopped playing classical, recently bought the new Pearl Jam album, and loves it. He'd never listened to them before, but that didn't matter.

Absolutely.

In 10 years you're going to have the Nu Metal version of this:

H4uWscP.png

I'll have much more hair on top than that haha

I don't mind being one of those old dudes that go to Rush concerts. It wasn't like I had the money to even see Linkin Park when I was a teen anyways.

FLEABttn

Banned
This thread caused me to listen to Meteora, because I haven't in probably 10 years.

I can see why I liked it then. I don't dislike it now, it just doesn't resonate now like it did because of a lack of angst.

MadSexual

"Mainstream" is the key word. Easy to digest music for tweens, office workers, and whatever else in between. Disposable music you don't have to think about.
Well, yes, but by mainstream I meant almost anything falling under the styles of rock, folk, dance, country, most jazz, etc. As with anything taxonomical, there will be a point where the lines and distinctions break down, but for the most part, these styles have a different scope and purpose than western art music (which again, makes the jazz movement incredibly interesting to examine).

But the idea that one can suddenly just stop appreciating different kinds of music just baffles me. My dad, who is almost 70 and constantly complains that the CBC stopped playing classical, recently bought the new Pearl Jam album, and loves it. He'd never listened to them before, but that didn't matter.
This I totally agree with. There is more to music than simply harmonic interplay, and our lives are much more complex than any ideal that makes our enjoyment of music out to be nothing more than a successive series of more complicated Skinner boxes accurately reflects. People like what they like for highly unpredictable reasons.

This I totally agree with. There is more to music than simply harmonic interplay, and our lives are much more complex than any ideal that makes our enjoyment of music out to be nothing more than a successive series of more complicated Skinner boxes accurately reflects. People like what they like for highly unpredictable reasons.

Exactly. I wish that more Music threads on GAF would take this kind of reasoned approach.

desu

The thing that REALLY sucks about being a fan is not the outdated jokes (which we've heard a thousand times), is that even if you like other music (I'm a big fan of progressive rock and death metal, for example), saying you like LP totally invalidates the rest of your musical taste for some people. It's like "yeah... but you also like Linkin Park."

I guess it can be annoying, but I don't really know why you or anyone would really care ...

Saw all of them live at festivals and enjoyed their performance. And even though my taste and music library is 100x times bigger today I still enjoy going back and listening to these bands.

NotLiquid

SOAD isn't angsty. Their music is rooted in politics and activism, much of which is on account of Armenian heritage and sensibilities. Not a good comparison.

Toxicity is still GOAT. That album aged like fine wine.

SOAD isn't angsty. Their music is rooted in politics and activism, much of which is on account of Armenian heritage and sensibilities. Not a good comparison.

Toxicity is still GOAT. That album aged like fine wine.

Chop Suey! and Aerials are still in my top 10 favorites as far as best song ever.

I didn't imply that they were angsty, but they were in the same period as Linkin Park and all those other bands. Aren't they nu metal as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom