• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's likley to wipe out the human life in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

The human species can adapt to any environmental change. We may lose a lot of our numbers in a change, but we can adapt to any change that doesn't happen extremely quickly. We have the ability to survice nuclear war as well - just in really small numbers in various government bomb shelter, submerged submarines, etc.

The only things that we can't survive in the list provided are: black hole, large enough asteroid, and alien civilization that intends to eat/kill us all.

Of those the probability of black hole is too small, hostile civilization is pretty small, but large enough asteroid is pretty big. However given that out ability to deal with asteroids increases over time I'll say asteroid for the next 200 years, then alien civilization.

The disease one is high on the likely scale, but human beings generally have the ability to deal with these sorts of things and we likely wouldn't get wiped out by them. Same goes for zombie outbreak :)

SantaC

border said:
How do black holes move....and at what velocity?

Well, this wont happen during our life time, but I can see that a blackhole could be a threat, let's say 500m - 1 billion years from today. It's so far into the future it's hard to imagine.

White Man

Phoenix said:
We have the ability to survice nuclear war as well - just in really small numbers in various government bomb shelter, submerged submarines, etc.

Naturally they would breed prodigiously, no? There would be much time and little to do — heh, heh. We would probably need a ratio of, say, 10 females to each male. . . .
Since each man will be required to do prodigious service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics, which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature. . . .
I have a plan . . . MEIN FUHRER, I CAN WALK!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
White Man, I consider you one of the best posters of the OT, but after reading about the runaway greenshouse theory on the website you just posted I hate you so fucking much. May your balls be forever blue and swollen for scaring my easily impressionable mind =/

SantaC

black.jpg

blackhole feeding on a sun.

kumanoki

Humaninty and most life on earth survive within a very narrow range of temperatures (without assistance). All it would take is our world being several hundred thousand miles closer to the sun, or as far away to extinguish intelligent life on earth.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Funky Papa said:
White Man, I consider you one of the best posters of the OT, but after reading about the runaway greenshouse theory on the website you just posted I hate you so fucking much. May your balls be forever blue and swollen for scaring my easily impressionable mind =/
Haha, the robot revolution theory page is hiliarious. Will Smith, anyone?

RonaldoSan said:
Polution. We basicly shit where we eat. Some day the food/air/water will be so bad that our bodies will be weak and much more open for diseases. Future generations will look back at our generation and think of us as idiots for destroying the environment.
hell, our generation already thinks we're idiots for destroying the environment.

I say robots because Hollywood told me so.

Phoenix

kumanoki said:
Humaninty and most life on earth survive within a very narrow range of temperatures (without assistance). All it would take is our world being several hundred thousand miles closer to the sun, or as far away to extinguish intelligent life on earth.

The key piece of your post being "without assistance". Species that have mastered tools and have the ability to build their own microclimates (like humans) can adapt to changes in environment.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well for one thing, are we talking about wiping out human society, or complete extinction?

I'd say if there's a destruction of human society in the somewhat near future, my guess is it'd be caused by nuclear annihalation. We escaped it by a hair just a few decades ago by sheer luck; no reason it can't happen again.

KiNeSiS

Banned
White Man said:
http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

There's enough out there to keep my fellow paranoids in a near-perpetual state of anxiety.

You've just got to take that anxiety and use it as a mechanism to rationalize your bloody mary quaffing. Secret of life, right there, folks. I discovered this little secret while watching episodes of Unsolved Mysteries that featured aliens. Yep, back when I was like 7.

Ill site. Back when I was the same age I watched it, It said aliens love Ice Cream especially strawberry.
It would show these ILL assed re-enactments. This guy who was abducted was fighting back.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I know a few Biologists and researchers that think there will be a new “black death” in the near feature after crunching some numbers. Such an event will not destroy humanity just trim the population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom